Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: Paladin healing in raids

Quote Originally Posted by ATTHEREADY
    Absolute perfection is relative. Let's not get on relativity...please.
    No need. The post you quoted said to improve where there was room to do so. And you felt the need to disagree with this blindingly obvious statement of truth. There's no need to go any further than common sense.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Absolute perfection is relative. Let's not get on relativity...please.
    You're correct, you don't have to be perfect. I mean you could go in to a fight with everyone under their hit cap, rogues gemming for spell power and still down the boss, but why would you when it's not difficult to do things the best way.
    <Infamous With Style>
    Darkspear -- Alliance

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest
    No need. The post you quoted said to improve where there was room to do so. And you felt the need to disagree with this blindingly obvious statement of truth. There's no need to go any further than common sense.
    The last thing I wanted to do was get into debatable dialogue w/ you, Firecrest, because I agree w/ 99.9% of your posts. However...

The post said "might". I don't know if you've noticed, but the OP wasn't looking for theory, he was looking for concrete. He is trying to become a better personal healer, not have a different raid make-up. If his becoming a better healer allows for different make-up, than that is an added bonus. However, switching to HL so you can have another DPS is not an "obvious statement of truth".
    FFVI > FFVII

Quote Originally Posted by Entaaro View Post
    I think you underestimate the capacity of your brain to process information quickly - but maybe with good reason.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nullified
    You're correct, you don't have to be perfect. I mean you could go in to a fight with everyone under their hit cap, rogues gemming for spell power and still down the boss, but why would you when it's not difficult to do things the best way.
    Way off base. You are giving examples of the worst possible players. I am talking about good players who get the job done. Just because you can hit 10k dps doesn't mean that 9.5k won't suffice. If you are continuously downing content, than why would you change? That's merely the point I was trying to make. I wasn't, under any circumstances, saying that one should be satisfied w/ being mediocre.
    FFVI > FFVII

I think you underestimate the capacity of your brain to process information quickly - but maybe with good reason.

If you are continuously downing content, than why would you change? That's merely the point I was trying to make. I wasn't, under any circumstances, saying that one should be satisfied w/ being mediocre.
    I think there is no possible way not to have room to improve in this game. And improvement is change. I think the point is that you should always be trying to make yourself better. "Downing bosses" does not mean you did it right. You can always improve to have less wipes, pull more of your weight or have faster kills.

This is a pet peeve of mine and is something I will call people on pretty much any time I see it. Don't be satisfied with "well, boss is dead".
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Way off base. You are giving examples of the worst possible players. I am talking about good players who get the job done.
    It's not off base, it might be an extreme example though. You stated if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you can down the boss using those players that are horrible, you're still downing the boss, so by your logic, don't change anything.

Just because you can hit 10k dps doesn't mean that 9.5k won't suffice.
    But why settle at 9.5k when you know you are capable of hitting 10k or more? You could settle to bring one severely under geared person along but you don't because you don't and shouldn't have to. If you can improve something, you should do it.

f you are continuously downing content, than why would you change?
    Because you can do it better. You can kill all the current ICC bosses wearing all ToC gear or worse, but if something drops in ICC that's an upgrade ("better") than gear you're using, you're going to pick it up and use it, why? Because it will help you do what you're doing better than you're currently doing it.

Primordial Saronite goes for about 2.2k on my server currently. I could sell one for 900g but why would I when I can get better?
    <Infamous With Style>
    Darkspear -- Alliance

However, switching to HL so you can have another DPS is not an "obvious statement of truth".
    No, but it is a pretty good bet. FoL is like 10k every second, HL 20+K (add another 10k for splash if you prefer) every 1.3 seconds. Very rough math obviously but still...

Maybe not obvious truth but certainly high probability!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nullified

But why settle at 9.5k when you know you are capable of hitting 10k or more?
    I knew this was going to happen. I am in no way endorsing "nesting".

Again your examples are off base.

Gear is a straight upgrade..no questions there. However is doesn't apply to this argument. Switching play styles is not even close to upgrading gear. Horrible example there.

As far as your Primordial reference. 900:2.2k is not the same as FoL:HL. I am talking play style, not tangibles.

If you are successful in your play-style.. do not change it, unless you are constantly striving to become a perfectionist. Then again, perfection is relative, just like I stated earlier. You can not judge relativity. Just because you go along a different road to reach the exact same destination doesn't make it worse/better.. .just...different, but still acceptable.

Fact is, you and your buddies just whooped it up on vent because of content progression, right?

That's what this game is about..not spreadsheets.

FFVI > FFVII

10+ Year Old Account

I think there is no posible way not to have room to improve in this game. And improvement is change. I think the point is that you should always be trying to make yourself better. "Dowing bosses" does not mean you did it right. You can always improve to have less wipes, pull more of your weight or have faster kills.

This is a pet peeve of mine and is something I will call people on pretty mcuh any time I see it. Don't be satisfied with "well, boss is dead".
    I will not argue this post..I agree w/ it wholeheartedly. You should always strive to be better, and not be satisfied with just "doing it". However, that takes an entire team of players that want to be better, and seeing how this post is about one person, moot point, no?

He certainly did not state, "How could we get better?"

Just trying to stay on topic. =)

EDIT: "how this post is about one person" should be "how this thread . . ."

EDIT2: When I say "continuously downing content", I mean progression-wise. If you continuously down 25ToC, but can't get past Beasts in 25ToGC, then that doesn't apply to my statement. I mean overall steadied progression.
    FFVI > FFVII

I think there is no posible way not to have room to improve in this game.
    Aye, you can always mash the Holy Light button faster than you have before. That is, unless you get an auto-repeat feature on your keyboard and then, well, you've pretty much achieved maximum potential (along with maximum leisure!).

Quote Originally Posted by nosebleed
    The healer who topped the chart was a druid and when I checked the "overhealing done" the druid topped that chart too!
    This is your problem. 99% of a paladins throughput comes not because he heals when a person gets hit, but because he is putting out insane amount of raw (read un-effective) healing. You need to cast more.