Priest leveling suggestions

Im going to start another alt and this time im going to roll a priest. ( i have all the BOA items)

So my question is...are they fun to level?
    easy/hard to level?
    easy/hard to learn at 80?

etc.... any good builds to follow while i level?

thanks for any help you folks can give me

Re: Priest leveling suggestions

I started my priest before TBC, and it was super hard to lvl, so I re-rolled a hunter. Hunter hit lvl 70 and all the guilds seemed full of hunters and really needed heals so i went back to my priest and from lvl 29-70 I mostly healed dungeons, did very little questing.

I have a second priest on another server I play from time to time and noticed that soloing is much easier these days since you get so much more XP per kill and quest, add your BOA items and that can go up 20%. My second priest is lvling as pure shadow, and just does quests with my wifes toons from time to time.

I think either path can be enjoyable depending on what you like, If you plan to keep your priest as a healer at 80, try to heal as many dungeons as you can on your way up so you can learn the mechanics of how a priest heals, if you plant to be shadow at 80, lvl as shadow. Try out multiple specs until you find something that works for you, if you have the BOA gear you have enough gold to respec a few times.
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    -John Galt

Leveling a Priest is rough in the beginning, but it gets better with Shadowform. Later, when you get enough SP, you can kill mobs with just DoTs and stay at max health thanks to VE...I feel like a warlock sometimes, except for the part where I OOM when chain pulling =X
    Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Casual/hardcore and skill/noskill are not related.
    You can casually raid a couple short nights per week, and if you are skilled, you will clear that content eventually.
    Or you can bang your head on it every night for 5 hours straight and eventually you will clear it even with crap for skills.

Quote Originally Posted by klurejr
    I started my priest before TBC, and it was super hard to lvl, so I re-rolled a hunter. Hunter hit lvl 70 and all the guilds seemed full of hunters and really needed heals so i went back to my priest and from lvl 29-70 I mostly healed dungeons, did very little questing.

I have a second priest on another server I play from time to time and noticed that soloing is much easier these days since you get so much more XP per kill and quest, add your BOA items and that can go up 20%. My second priest is lvling as pure shadow, and just does quests with my wifes toons from time to time.

I think either path can be enjoyable depending on what you like, If you plan to keep your priest as a healer at 80, try to heal as many dungeons as you can on your way up so you can learn the mechanics of how a priest heals, if you plant to be shadow at 80, lvl as shadow. Try out multiple specs until you find something that works for you, if you have the BOA gear you have enough gold to respec a few times.
    Priest in TBC level rather easy.

I leveled mine in vanilla. IT was even better, I actually can meltfaces back then .. haha.

(well, you need to realize and get a good/ok wand to solo level as priest)

Deleted

When I decided to lvl a Priest, the first thing I got myself was wands from lvl 1-40.

You'll mostly be just dotting and wanding for the majority of the early lvls. Its a shame they nerfed wand spec ;(

Basically specc into disc for the healing, then get strength/stam gear and get a good meele weapon(rogue maces are your best bet) then level as a melee class and throw dots. This way you avoid the biggest priest leveling problem: going oom.

It sounds really weird but it's the best way to level, trust me, leveled 4 priests, 2 like this and I can definately say it was the fastest way to level, leveling like a normal priest I had about 8 days played to 80, now I am down to 6.

This is kind why there's a priest levelling sticky right up there at the top of the forum! Harky put a lot of work into it, you should read that first maybe.

as others said, make sure you get the best wands you can for your level. you'll use wands a lot up till at least level 30-40 most likely.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Supermegaawesomeguy
    Basically specc into disc for the healing, then get strength/stam gear and get a good meele weapon(rogue maces are your best bet) then level as a melee class and throw dots. This way you avoid the biggest priest leveling problem: going oom.

It sounds really weird but it's the best way to level, trust me, leveled 4 priests, 2 like this and I can definately say it was the fastest way to level, leveling like a normal priest I had about 8 days played to 80, now I am down to 6.
    'tis teh truth.
    http://ask-a-ret.blogspot.com/ - Best paladin blog EU no jk.

Quote Originally Posted by myrkyr
    Nerd rage moar!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiss
    He probably tried to kill a resto druid at WSG, got cycloned and started a new thread complaning how ret paladins are bad for pvp.

I've just begun leveling a priest after seeing the extreme need for healers and the lack of healing priests on my server. Granted mine is a lowbie at this point, but I've gained levels fairly quickly with the new LFG system bliz just created. I'm stoked and have a ton of fun with him!

My question is, what's the best way to spec as a lowbie healing through dungeons? Disc, holy, mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Paramagic
    I've just begun leveling a priest after seeing the extreme need for healers and the lack of healing priests on my server. Granted mine is a lowbie at this point, but I've gained levels fairly quickly with the new LFG system bliz just created. I'm stoked and have a ton of fun with him!

My question is, what's the best way to spec as a lowbie healing through dungeons? Disc, holy, mix?
    I went disc because of the extra intell and regen from spirit. Also when u get down to penance its easy mode to heal while lvling
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabu34
    Leveling a Priest is rough in the beginning, but it gets better with Shadowform. Later, when you get enough SP, you can kill mobs with just DoTs and stay at max health thanks to VE...I feel like a warlock sometimes, except for the part where I OOM when chain pulling =X
    going oom as a shadowpriest is a very rare occasion when leveling... only happens when you heal an instance. don't go for sp... it sucks unless you have sooooo much of it that it actually takes longer to get the gear from crafting/AHing than to get a new level. stack spirit, spirit spirit spirit. you'll never go below 50% mana (and that's after healing and shielding and whatnot people that just run by.)

Quote Originally Posted by Supermegaawesomeguy

Ooming should be a lesser problem now that they've reduced the mana costs for low levels in a recent patch. With BoA gear, trinkets, potions and a steady stream of crafted pieces you should be able to manage a good uptime even while casting.

i'm currently lvling as the smite specc from the sticky topic here on priest forums, and it goes really easy. i kill everymob within 2-3 smites combined with the first holyfire :P
    i always buy 60 drinks when i go to town for handin quests in or repair, so i dont have mana problems.
    but since this is my first char i dont have much exp, but i guess shadow would be best specc to lvl with after 50
    -Made by cazy

Quote Originally Posted by Zartosht
    i'm currently lvling as the smite specc from the sticky topic here on priest forums, and it goes really easy. i kill everymob within 2-3 smites combined with the first holyfire :P
    i always buy 60 drinks when i go to town for handin quests in or repair, so i dont have mana problems.
    but since this is my first char i dont have much exp, but i guess shadow would be best specc to lvl with after 50
    uhmm, having manaproblems doesn't involve having drinks... it's the downtime, having to actually sit down and do nothing but watch as your blue bar gets filled that's the problem. 8 seconds here, 12 seconds there, all in all it amounts to a huge uptime. stacking spi and taking the spirit tap talent (imp spirit tap is not needed while leveling imo as they don't stack) will make you able to pull several mobs at once even at low levels and constantly have loads of mana left throughout the fight and before the next multipull your manabar will be full. without wasting any seconds drinking. (hey, before you get vampiric embrace you can even heal yourself inbetween fights, and shield is always your friend)

15+ Year Old Account

I'll echo a few comments on here

Wands are your best friend until the late 40's , pre 40's shield before engaging a mob, drop whatever "nukes" you have and wand the mob down.

If you can afford doing dual spec and are interested in healing spec disc until you get some good gear as it tends to be more forgiving with regards to lower quality gear

Priests are a great class that can fill many roles so feel free to experiment with multiple specs to find the niche you can enjoy and be successful with

Focus on intellect gear leveling but also make sure you have enough stam to get beat around a few times

Stock up on your waters, remember bandages cost no mana

Have fun!