Pre-80 Instance Tanking

My pre-80 tanking characters seem to be taking ridiculously large amounts of damage lately, so much in comparison to other tanks that I have to be doing something wrong. I rerolled on a different server from an 80 druid tank to another druid tank and a deathknight tank (armories linked in the words).

I can tank on both without any threat problems, but, as I said, I take far too much damage to be healable. On my deathknight I take hits for upwards of 2000, approximately 20% of my total health. The same goes for my druid, even though I have tanked fine through normal mode raids at 80 as a druid. I was just wondering if there's something obvious that I'm completely missing, obviously my talents aren't purely tanking talents, but I'm yet to have this issue having levelled a few characters through with half dps/half tank or heals specs.

Specifically for my deathknight, I have 9354 health, 9.77% dodge, 10.66% parry, 9174 (46.49%) armor and 375 defense (+1.00% chance to dodge, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, as I just left a UK group after taking unhealable amounts of damage in slow, non-chain pulls.

Re: Pre-80 Instance Tanking

Hmm, unless you are letting mobs get behind you or pulling more than 1-2 pulls at a time, i can't really see why you'd have a problem.
    Are you sure the healers you are running with have a clue what they are doing?
    Looking at armory i can't see how you'd have problems tanking level appropriate dungeons, but without further info i can't tell for sure.
    Bringing the "hardcoar" to casual since 2009.

I've been pulling as few mobs as possible and backing myself against a wall to be sure. The resto druid I just ran UK with had full heal over times rolling on me and was spamming glyphed healing touch, but couldn't keep me up through an unavoidable pull of 4 mobs. Just to clarify, those stats I gave were unbuffed in frost presence.

Have your dps use CC. Also, I'm pretty sure the DK starting gear isn't good enough to last 12 levels... you might want to pick up some quest greens from northrend.

Edit -- cobalt set from blacksmithing is great for a fresh 70 tank
    I may look busy, but I'm just confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabmud
    I've been pulling as few mobs as possible and backing myself against a wall to be sure. The resto druid I just ran UK with had full heal over times rolling on me and was spamming glyphed healing touch, but couldn't keep me up through an unavoidable pull of 4 mobs. Just to clarify, those stats I gave were unbuffed in frost presence.
    Unless I fail to remember correctly, isnt nourish superior to glyph. HT? Ialso cant remember at what lvl you get it, 70 or 80...hmmzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Checkviller
    Unless I fail to remember correctly, isnt nourish superior to glyph. HT? Ialso cant remember at what lvl you get it, 70 or 80...hmmzzz
    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=50464

Level 80
    I may look busy, but I'm just confused.

Thanks for the advice Cerin, I'll go check prices for that set now. I only did instances from 58-70 because I'm sick of outland after doing it so many times, but I'll be questing through Northrend. Been avoiding buying things too due to very minimal amounts of gold (rerolled on a different server too).

Your DK is probably taking crits since the Def cap is still in effect at lvl 70. It was 490 defense if I remember correctly to be uncrittable to lvl 73 (raid boss) mobs. Also, you're missing 5% dodge from the unholy tree and 5% damage reduction from the blood tree. The DK tank (un)holy trinity is pretty mandatory.

On your druid I'd wager it's mostly gear. You're still wearing lvl 50ish gear which doesn't really give you much avoidance or mitigation. You're also missing talent points in Thick Hide.

Don't want to show off any epeen or anything, but my little alt, in tank gear and tank spec has 14480hp and 482 defense.
    And 8 Pieces from his gear are BoE items, 1 off the AH, and 7 items crafted;
    Gloves and Chest from Faith In Felsteel set
    Wrist, Boots, Legs and Waist from the Cobalt crafting items.

Her's the Armory Link

Got the full cobalt set and that roughly halved the damage I was taking. Thanks for the help everyone