fresh 80's and random heroics

So I haven't played since ulduar was released, but just recently came back the other day and started leveling up a lock for fun. Definatly enjoying the new changes.

My question is, how do the random heroics turn out if run them with basically crap gear or as somewhat fresh level 80? Do you get stuck with people who are equally geared, making some of the heroics basically impossible? Or does the random system also take into consideration which Heroic you would be capable of doing based on your average gear level??

Thanks

Re: fresh 80's and random heroics

The random system is pretty much just that: random.

Often times there will be one really geared person, one very low geared person, and the rest middle. However, the system will not let you queue for an instance that you are not geared for. If you are level 80 in all level 70 greens, it probably wouldn't even let you into heroics. If you're in WotLK quest greens/blues it would queue you for the launch heroics, but not ToC or the Icecrown heroics.

You can start running randoms right away at 80 for the most part (unless you just did bgs to 80 or something got absolutely no quest rewards) and you'll be just fine. Just try to make effort, as people will not "carry" someone who is undergeared and refusing to try.

You'll be stuck in the the entry level heroics. Alot. Atleast until you increase the average iLvl on your gear through badges/drops.

As for the group composition, it's seemed completely random for me. Been geared with some people in full greens, and next run people with full TOGC25 gear.
    Started a blog about underground/upcoming artists: http://newraphiphop.blogspot.com/ Check it out!

On my pally that just hit 80 on the first I've been running heroics with. It seems like most the ti
    e you get 2-3 really geared ppl usually the tank and the healer min and then some times 1-2 geared dps. Alot of the times the tank and healer won't leave but there are the elitist jerks that will leave if anyone not caring wat class u are or when u hit 80 will instantly leave if u have less than 20k hp. There are also the grps that will boot you because you are "undergeared" compared to them. For this I would recommend running with atleast 1 guidy or friend so that they can't vote kick you.

15+ Year Old Account

It tries not to clump up poorly geared and well geared people, nor can you queue for an instance you're not geared for. That said, the tool's definition of "geared" is fairly lax.
    Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much. ~attributed to Oscar Wilde

If you are new to 80 I'll assume you are probably queuing as a dps so will have at least a little bit of a queue. Please take that time to hit the later zones like Storm Peaks and Icecrown and focus on doing the quests that offer some upgrades, especially weapons if you are a melee. I know it's easily possible to hit 80 with out ever setting foot in one of these zones and the gear will be replaced while doing the heroics but they will improve your performance until they do get replaced and they are good gold anyway.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

A coworker of mine just started playing again; hit 80 a week or two ago. He's seeing exactly what the other posters are saying: all the "original" Wrath heroics... but not ToC 5, FoS, PoS, or HoR. As his gear improved, he's seen ToC 5 added to the list, but has yet to see the three "harder" new ones.

As for group makeup... it supposedly tries to group you with folks "your level" - but that seems to be a low priority. I typically see someone WAY undergeared for the other four. (Not a big deal, really; in fact the undergeared person probably loves it...)

From my perspective it really depends on the dungeon & the comp of the whole group. Typically I will tolerate ONE fresh 80 (< 3k GS). Any more than that and it holds up the run to much. I do like to chain pull and expect the group to keep up regardless of gear/skill; this is typically when a bootable candidate emerges. I will politely continue the run until the 15m debuff wears off without saying a word or belittling (after all it may not be their fault, but they ARE affecting my run) the player and then initiate the kick. If it fails I will probably just drop group & re-queue since its near instant for us tanks.

My hunter alt just turned 80 some days ago.
    Most pugs were okay, and even fast.
    Some were angry about my 2200 dps with my bound on accound breast armor, shoulders and gun and my lvl 75 pet and i got kicked several times even before the first trash pack was pulled.
    It doesn't happen anymore now that i got myself some purples.

Depends on the group you stumble into.

both my pally and druid are 5k+ gs and usually every other run i get paired up with a fresh 80 or one thats still working on a purple set...doesnt bother me at all though thats what heroics are there for.

but you'll run into your fair share ive elitist azzbags that votekick or leave because you dont meet there standards just ignore em and stay in que or reque
    http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z49/rchmarkert_2007/Signatures/cpt.jpg