Thread: New Wing Fights

New Wing Fights

Guild just did Rotface and Festergut today and im having some real DPS problems with Arcane. I normally tear it up on the charts but for those two fights I did rather poorly. Not do to my performance so much but it was just like there is so much movement that I only get to DPS like 50% of the time. Tried FFB (is my AoE spec) instead for LB/Ignite ticking while im not DPS'n but still didn't have much luck. Anyone have better luck than me? Different spec?

Re: New Wing Fights

You really shouldn't be moving that much. If you sit right under rotface towards the middle of his hitbox you only move like, half an inch every 30 seconds, then you move when you get diseased and go maybe 10 seconds without much dps. I did fine in both fights. Festergut has a bit more movement, but all of your ranged have to do it so in comparison it's not that large of a dps lock. I kept up with our two affliction locks just fine.

Once you get use to the fight your dps will go back up. I've heard a few ppl say their first time in numbers were down due to getting the movements, placement, mechanics right. Don't sweat it

On Festergut, you can skip getting inoculated, if you have ice block available. That takes out half the movement for most specs and all the movement for frost (with cold snap).

i played fire for rotface and arcane for festergut, fire for putricide - first couple of tries takes a while to understand the fight so my dps wasn't as high, i've said this in a few posts- i think alot of players are underestimating the value of other specs and are sticking with the mentality of Arcane is the highest dps spec and thus will faceroll any other mage spec and remaining in that spec.
    when I played Arcane for all 3 encounters, bar festergut i wasn't able to keep up mainly because of the sheer amount of a movement- even a little can be too much, where as other specs such as fire gives you a little bit of freedom to navigate.

See it this way, If 2pct10 procs - as Arcane you don't want to move at all- you want to squeeze ab4abam into that cycle, if you move you lose valuble time on that proc, whereas fire - with a 2sec cast time you have enough time to refresh your LB dot, have 1-2secs to reposition if needed and then cast fireball within that 5 sec proc margin- DPS might be lower due to LB ticking it down but your damage will be higher.

I was able to compete for top 4 dps in my raid as Fire in the listed fights, this was right up there against our Rogues and Warlocks.
    You can never go back and change the beginning, but you can always write a new ending.

Quote Originally Posted by dr0nzer
    i played fire for rotface and arcane for festergut, fire for putricide - first couple of tries takes a while to understand the fight so my dps wasn't as high, i've said this in a few posts- i think alot of players are underestimating the value of other specs and are sticking with the mentality of Arcane is the highest dps spec and thus will faceroll any other mage spec and remaining in that spec.
    when I played Arcane for all 3 encounters, bar festergut i wasn't able to keep up mainly because of the sheer amount of a movement- even a little can be too much, where as other specs such as fire gives you a little bit of freedom to navigate.

See it this way, If 2pct10 procs - as Arcane you don't want to move at all- you want to squeeze ab4abam into that cycle, if you move you lose valuble time on that proc, whereas fire - with a 2sec cast time you have enough time to refresh your LB dot, have 1-2secs to reposition if needed and then cast fireball within that 5 sec proc margin- DPS might be lower due to LB ticking it down but your damage will be higher.

I was able to compete for top 4 dps in my raid as Fire in the listed fights, this was right up there against our Rogues and Warlocks.
    Your melee are TERRIBLE if you are beating them on festergut. They aren't much better if you are on Rotface.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd
    Your melee are TERRIBLE if you are beating them on festergut. They aren't much better if you are on Rotface.
    A Mage can beat all melee on that fight outside of Rogues. I beat all our melee outside of two rogues when we downed Festergut and they aren't terrible. Unless every single melee in your guild is pulling 11-13k dps you can beat them as a Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan
    A Mage can beat all melee on that fight outside of Rogues. I beat all our melee outside of two rogues when we downed Festergut and they aren't terrible. Unless every single melee in your guild is pulling 11-13k dps you can beat them as a Mage.
    Lol. You mean the melee that get to sit still and do nothing but dps and not worry about range or moving to spores? Yeah, I can definitely outdps them. Your melee are doing it wrong. A good dk, warrior, or pally will be above you on a fight where they never move and you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd
    Lol. You mean the melee that get to sit still and do nothing but dps and not worry about range or moving to spores? Yeah, I can definitely outdps them. Your melee are doing it wrong. A good dk, warrior, or pally will be above you on a fight where they never move and you do.
    Like I said, all melee would need to average between 11k-13k to beat what mages can do on that fight. I did 9.5k EPDS on our kill in 25 man and I fucked up big time. I just did 10.5k DPS (10.4k EDPS) in our 10 man without a flask. So I am assuming next week in 25man I may top that.

Two rogues beat me in our 25man, and nobody beat me in the 10 man (the same rogue that beat me in 25man was there). Also, if you look at some of the top rankings it's all rogues between 11-13k and mages between 9-11k.

If I can do it so can anyone.

Fire for putricide?

No, never, arcane's potential for target switch->burst is too high to pass plus the style of movement on that fight favors arcane as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan
    Like I said, all melee would need to average between 11k-13k to beat what mages can do on that fight. I did 9.5k EPDS on our kill in 25 man and I fucked up big time. I just did 10.5k DPS (10.4k EDPS) in our 10 man without a flask. So I am assuming next week in 25man I may top that.

Two rogues beat me in our 25man, and nobody beat me in the 10 man (the same rogue that beat me in 25man was there). Also, if you look at some of the top rankings it's all rogues between 11-13k and mages between 9-11k.

If I can do it so can anyone.
    I'm not saying mages can't do well on the fight, I'm saying melee should be winning. Also saying "anyone" can match your dps is silly, because i don't think you are in quest greens/blues.

the secret to doing top dps in those fights with arcane is blink, learn to use it well and u wont have to run nearly as much as every other class, especially on putiricide (stand near middle of room and rape the slimes, when they get close to their target blink onto the target to spread the damage if its the green slime, brown one u just rape, you will be top dmg on each slime except for the abom lolop)

and for the guy who drops slimes (i dont remember which one is which) just stand on the side with the least amount of people.

someone already said use iceblock for the spores but w/e, thats kinda risky. I just blink to where the spore is and save block for conflags or enrage timer (our guild runs two groups with half alts and half mains so we come close to enrage in 25man)

After all that being said, if the 2piece wasnt so fucking good for arcane I would be fire in a heartbeat.