/target /cast /target macro help

Hey there folks, once again I need some help with a macro.

Since I barely get hit in heroics I am looking for the following macro:

My girlfriend plays a ret pally and it would be nice that she can use here Art of War procs to cast a Flash of Light on me.

How does it work when I, preferable, want it to be cast on me without here either deselecting the mob she is nuking or switch back to that mob after she did the cast?

Thanks alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunado
    When I first read the title, I almost pooped myself. Then I clicked the link and laughed that poop out!
    /lol

Re: /target /cast /target macro help

simple macro would be

#showtooltip (shows the icon and tooltip of first spell in the macro)(use the ?? icon)

/cast [@focus} *insert spell name*
    this will cast the spell at your focus target while not losing your current target
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade
    simple macro would be

#showtooltip (shows the icon and tooltip of first spell in the macro)(use the ?? icon)

/cast [@focus} *insert spell name*
    this will cast the spell at your focus target while not losing your current target
    if she wants to use her focus for something else (like CC lol?) then replace focus with your name

/cast [target=Rockadin] Flash of Light

Or, she can set you as her focus, and use the following:

/cast [target=Focus] Flash of Light
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

I used a macro like that in tbc for healing a prot warrior friend.
    Im not 100% sure, but I think it was in the lines of:

/target 'yourcharacter'
    /cast Flash of Light
    /lasttarget

Yep

#showtooltip Flash of Light
    /cast [target=Rockadin] Flash of Light

Done. That wasn't so hard!! :P

And don't bother with the focus in that case. She's trying to FoL you, so just put your name in there. If she has to focus something else (not sure why you would in heroics though) then she can still use other focus macroes, and she never has to focus you between instances or anything.

Another possibility would be to FoL the target's target.

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=targettarget] Flash of Light

This would then work without setting a focus, regardless of who was tanking and would have the slight advantage of healing people who had pulled aggro. Plus it would work whilst soloing.

You could set up a single macro to do different things in and out of parties and raids with modifiers but no need really for something this simple.

Thanks all for the help!

Just trying to learn from the examples:

Why do macros start with #showtooltip?

if the first line in a macro starts with "/cast [target" does that mean that the current target won't be deselected?

so, If I want to make a macro so she has my target selected (in focus in case someone else is tanking)

/target Focus
    /targettarget

edit:
    Doh showtooltip is allready explained in a previous post. Thanks for that

When I first read the title, I almost pooped myself. Then I clicked the link and laughed that poop out!
    /lol

Quote Originally Posted by rockadin
    if the first line in a macro starts with "/cast [target" does that mean that the current target won't be deselected?
    Yes.

so, If I want to make a macro so she has my target selected (in focus in case someone else is tanking)

/target Focus
    /targettarget
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here but /targettarget is not a valid script command to my knowledge.

and /target Focus would probably fail because it can't find anyone called Focus.

/target is a command in itself but not to be confused with the [target=<something>] modifier.

Valid values for <something> can probably be found at the wowwiki macro API pages but those I might remember are

target - the default. Pretty pointless to say [target=target] because it will be without saying it.
    player - you
    pet - your pet
    none
    focus
    mouseover - handy for healing and decursing macros combined with a nice frame addon like Grid or Healbot.
    targettarget - the target of your target.

I think you can also use party and raid numbers. party1 would be you. raid1 would only be you if you were in group 1. Or something. I can't think of a use for these to be honest.

There are more than these but I don't think I've ever used any others.

If I were to guess what you were asking in your question above, I might suggest that what you want is /assist Rockadin. That will make her target whatever you are targetting. Although it will actually switch her target, so isn't relevant to what you were asking earlier, hence my confusion.

It's not related to whether or not it's in the first line. When you use '/cast [@person]' or '/cast [target=person]' it simply uses that person as a target for your spell independently of what unit/player you have targeted currently.

/target Focus
    /targettarget
    Using '/assist Rockadin' will make her target your target without occupying the focus. Focus would be like a second target you can selected, and it's generally better to save it for things that always change (like the name of that mob you have to cc, or maybe the name of the tank) than to use it for someone who always has the same name.

edit: To Troyblade: party1 is the first party member being displayed on your interface, party goes from 1 to 4 only. To select or cast on yourself you would have to use '@player' or 'target=player'

Quote Originally Posted by perera
    edit: To Troyblade: party1 is the first party member being displayed on your interface, party goes from 1 to 4 only. To select or cast on yourself you would have to use '@player' or 'target=player'
    Many thanks and apologies for the misinformation.

I still can't think of a valid use for it. Perhaps a castsequence for buffing your party one by one without using reagents.

I've seen people use it in arenas, like to dispel. It has the advantage that if your teammates change you don't have to change the macros.

Very simple macro. Does wonders in Arenas. And not only for instant FoLs ..

#showtooltip Flash of Light
    /target < your friends name >
    /cast Flash of Light
    /targetlasttarget

Simple as that. You will cast your instant Flash of Light on your friend, without even deselecting your curent target.
    Be sure you have Art of War proced, otherwise you will start casting 8)

Thanks alot all, learned something new today :-*

/lol