Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Got kicked for healing as Elemental in an HC

Normally i too heal as elemental in heroics, most of the time im just too bored to heal when the highest dps is topping 2.5k... thats where my patience ends.

I can't really say I've had any complaints, but a few ppl asking "wtf whos healing?" I for one can't understand why the complain... the trash only takes half the time and i cut off 20 secs off the bosses, every few heroics i get another for free.

15+ Year Old Account

I've been healing some of my heroics as shadow. Just put up VE and let my DPS keep everyone alive. If someone kicked you for healing as a caster DPS in an ezmode heroic, those people are simply just terribads and you shouldn't take anything they say or do in any capacity of seriousness.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Frex
    the tank came with the following statement: I'm going oom because you dont heal enough, at first I facepalmed and I also noticed he was barely using Divine Plea (Yes I'm aware of its cd).
    Healing as elemental means nothing, would you have healed differently if you were resto, probably not with the exception of ES and riptide being on the tank but those spells are not gonna do much with spiritual attunement anyway. If the pally is having mana issues then its his fault for not specing into their available mana talents or he isnt pulling fast enough.

Yes divine plea does have a minute CD BUT all pally tanks should be spec'd so that their DP buff is refreshed on every melee swing that hits.

So my next question is, were you haveing mana issues that was causing the tank to pull so slow his DP buff would fall off between pulls? Meaning 15 seconds passed between last mob death and hitting the next mob.

If not, then I would simply say you had a NOT-SO-BRIGHT tank that probably doesnt understand his class very well, regardless of the fact he had +45k hp.

Also, you mentioned DP but was he also keeping holy shield up and buffing himself with sanctuary? As an over geared pally most of the hits he takes in a heoric will be blocked which with sanctuary up will regen some decent mana.

Also, keep in mind people fail at this game, badly and gear or achievements should never be used to determine a good player.

When I heal, if the tank doesnt need the heal I interrupt it. I dont see the point in spam healing a tank just cause we over-gear an instance, in those cases I dps most of the time and just make sure no one dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Possiblyreefer
    i reckon its because tis quick to queue as healer rather than dps. which is a cheap underhand trick
    Read the OP - it has nothing to do with queue times. What do queue times matter anyways, you can start your argent tourney dailies and get a few done while you wait. Paladin is not in the same situation where they can effectively heal while doing really good dps. Elemental shaman are very unique in this role since they don't need to switch forms to cast heals, they can seamlessly transition from dps to healing.

Sometimes I switch to elemental and heal an overgeared tank while doing dps, but mostly I have taken to just queuing as DPS these days so I know for certain there will be at least one capable dps and I don't get stuck in a run with 3 1.5k dps people and it takes FOREVER. Most of my tank friends are doing the same thing - I think this is contributing to the tank/healer shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot
    But oh well, my shaman is my pvp char mainly, so i decided to have a "hybrid" offspec, used for healing some 5 mans and doing dailies. My mainspec is resto pvp, and as offspec i've taken this http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hEh0q...xoxkbho:LqbcMm.
    All i have to do is put earthshield on the tank and healingstream totem and pewpew.
    Have you tried taking 2 points out of Thundering Strikes and putting 2 points into Imp. Fire Nova? Most of my damage is from Fire Nova in the 5 mans, and talented and glyphed it has only a 3 sec CD, so you can alternate chain lightning, fire nova, LHW, fire nova, chain lightning.... etc. I think that might give you max DPS for all the trash (which is 90% of the instances). If we had tri-spec, I would definitely do this for healing the heroics and still aoe everything. I don't see any talents further down in elemental tree that buff AoE damage further.

15+ Year Old Account

When queueing with a mate of mine who's a boomkin, I just go shadowform and everything dies before the tank can go below 50%, if he does we're both on vent always, so we won't have any problems healing the tank up, or I shield and he heals, or whatever.

I really don't see the problem with having a dps spec and healing if it makes a run go faster.

What's there to complain about if no one dies and the mobs die faster?

In my opinion a fast run without deaths with a dps specced healer > a slower run without deaths.
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I always run my heroics in Elemental spec and gear but as the healer. I am always top dps by a considerable margin, and people dont die. If I see a terrible tank with under 25k hp, I will probably go Resto, but other than that its Elemental all the way. I think my gear is more than good enough for the job, and tanks need to learn than some people can actually heal and dps at the same time, and that strigent healing specs + gear are NOT required for year-old heroics.

If healing as ele you still keep everybody alive where's the problem? You're speeding the run A LOT.
    "Seeping crest of turbidity, arrogant vessel of lunacy.
    Boil forth and deny, grow numb and flicker, disrupting sleep.
    Crawling queen of iron, eternally self-destructing doll of mud.
    Unite, repulse. Fill with soil and know your own powerlessness."

Primera - Elemental Shaman - <Vedo La Gente Morta> - Pozzo dell'Eternità IT

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account

Eh, I heal in heroics as Ele spec and Ele gear all the time and still pump out 4-5k dps while healing. If the tank is poorly geared i might consider going resto, but stay in my ele gear and still toss LBs. I often times find that the tank is well enough geared. It just happens to be the DPS who fail.

In terms of that pally tank, yeah, he was bad. If HP wasn't an issue he should have judged Wis and kept DP up at all times. I personally do this on my pally tank all the time with little or no issue whatsoever. I usually tell hybrids that do have a decent dps spec and can toss heals at the same time to go dps.

As a char with an alt tank I can sympathize with the pally in the OPs story.

My neglected alt went from ilvl 200-219 ilvl ToC-5 / Uldar-10 gear to full 232-245 in a week’s time. That jump tacked on 4k EH and loads of mitigation / avoidance transforming heroics from ah nothing too special to OMG how can I get through this faster. That being said, I'm still getting used to my chars new found survivability. I am accustomed to certain bosses still being a bit iffy and if I get down to 60% start worrying about popping defensive CDs. It's silly, however since the likelihood of going from 60%-dead is rather remote. I think a lot of tanks, especially the newly geared ones, don’t realize how little healing they actually need and how a geared healer can drop a 15k heal on you every 10-15 seconds literally alt tabbing to Facebook on most fights.

Tanks don’t like to dip "low" hp because it makes us feel out of control. Long pauses between heals is scary when you are unsure of your chars ability.

TLDR version- Tanks will lighten up to DPS healers eventually, the "baby" tanks who feel the need to be 100% the whole time as well as the dps who can’t stand to be 80% will eventually get comfortable with the new ilvl and what it enables them to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBorne
    mongoloid?! wtf is that, you sound like a festeezio(see i can make up words too)

If the group has no problems with you healing as ele: No big deal.

If they do: Switch or leave.

In your case, overgeared pally tanks always complain. I got vote to kicked on my disc priest cause I wouldn't stop bubbling one. Ended up another party member got pissed he even attempted to, and vote to kicked him, which passed, lol.

If you're able to do the job, it shouldn't matter what your spec is. If they weren't short sighted, they would see that it's better for you to pump out some DPS when straight healing isn't essential (as is often the case in heroics these days) because it makes the run go faster.

As to the pally complaining that he wasn't healed enough... there's no excuse for a prot pally running out of mana even with NO healing. DP has a cooldown, but its duration is permanent as long as you're in combat (basically). You have roughly 15 seconds to pull after combat ends or you can wait for the cooldown, which should be nearly up anyway after the previous battle. I've never had an issue with mana as a prot paladin, even with very little healing coming in, unless I've misjudged something badly. In which case, if you see him low on mana, just toss off some extra heals to boost him up enough to keep going.

I often tank as ret spec in tanking gear

2 failures in this group.
    main failure a healer who heals in ele spec.
    second failure...a prot pally who doesn't know if you're going oom..lag on the holy shield and let the healer heal u through the dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk
    In which case, if you see him low on mana, just toss off some extra heals to boost him up enough to keep going.
    Overhealing doesn't give mana.

tank was either spec fail or skill fail. DP+Sanc+mobs=full blue rage bar. as long as people aren't dying sounds like you're doing it right, even if it's not the normal way of doing it.

I'm thinking that if the tank and DPS were complaining about not getting healed enough, they probably werent topped up all the time like your stating. :-\

Sure it's possible to heal as Ele and your right with overgeared tanks and killing dps mobs drop so fast.

However you can't be mad at them for wanting you in a heal spec, you que'd healer.

What if your group comprised of a Fury Warrior ( que'd tank ) you ( que'd healer ) and you got H-HoR or something. Who takes the blame for wipes? the warrior is doing the same thing you are right? DPS to speed up the run.

If the tank is using Cons he is an asshat, i can tank hc's without mana issues at all, jsut chainpull(to keep DP up) and skip cons and sue HotR instead. (i ahve o1/2 points in "mana from heal" talent

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomina
    What if your group comprised of a Fury Warrior ( que'd tank ) you ( que'd healer ) and you got H-HoR or something. Who takes the blame for wipes? the warrior is doing the same thing you are right? DPS to speed up the run.
    As he said, in that case (not overgeared tank or "hard" heroic) he would go full resto.

If the tank is successfully tanking or the healer is successfully healing, who cares? No one complained when we all healed in DPS specs for seasonal bosses, because they're a joke. Now heroics are headed that way. I don't see the difference. Now, if you're wiping or slower because of it, that's another thing. Time to swap back to classic mode. But the OP says he does that, so I don't see the issue.