Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: New website - WoW-Wishlist.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sonaza
    Encryption is dangerous since those can still be reversed. Most registration systems use (or should use for sake of security) md5-hash that cannot be decrypted. Add a little bit of salting and it's (almost) impossible to figure password out of it, maybe if you got some years to brute-force it.
    MD5 is easy as shit to decrypt, I was hoping for like... SHA-1 or something like that, that atleast takes some effort to decrypt.

Quote Originally Posted by VenoM
    MD5 is easy as shit to decrypt, I was hoping for like... SHA-1 or something like that, that atleast takes some effort to decrypt.
    Man I pray to god every night that someone doesnt hack my WoW-wishlist account. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITHOUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    I wish it kind of had a browser to use. I don't know item ID numbers. Otherwise I like the concept.
    1) Go to Wowhead
    2) look up the item youre interested in
    3) look at the URL and you have the item ID

@ All of those wondering about the encryption - it uses MD5, for the record (as I saw someone mention this) MD5 CANNOT be decrypted, it can onyl be bruteforced (as is the case with any encryption method - though some make it more difficult). I know MD5 is not the best method out there but it's universally supported and it's not like your wow-wishlist account contains sensitive data.

I will definitely implement some sort of browser, I'm still thinking about what would be the best way to go about this though. I don't want wow-wishlist.com to become a full fledged wow database - we have wowhead for that.

@Annaconda - As I said, any suggestions are welcome, I might overlook some ideas that would be incredibly useful to the service.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys
    WoW Gear Wishlists - WoW-Wishlist.com
    Try out my Signature Generator

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Idunnowhat
    1) Go to Wowhead
    2) look up the item youre interested in
    3) look at the URL and you have the item ID
    Okay perhaps I should have put that in better terms. I wish it had a browser because that is what I would use the site for, to browse items and compare and contrast stat differentials.

Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Idunnowhat
    Man I pray to god every night that someone doesnt hack my WoW-wishlist account. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITHOUT IT
    Many people these days uses the same password for everything, and similar usernames, which means that you can get many WoW-accounts from a dump of the WoW-wishlist database.

Many people these days uses the same password for everything, and similar usernames, which means that you can get many WoW-accounts from a dump of the WoW-wishlist database.
    Good point, I will think about enforcing some rules on passwords to prevent people from picking the same password they use for their battle.net account.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    Okay perhaps I should have put that in better terms. I wish it had a browser because that is what I would use the site for, to browse items and compare and contrast stat differentials.
    I understand what you're saying about 'not needing another database' but it would make this site a million times better if it contained an item database. In its current form it's easier for me to get a piece of paper and open wow-head or the lootlist from this site and write down the item/location (which I already do).

Being unable to actually add an item to my wishlist (only tried with one item ID: 50027, Rot-Resistant Breastplate) I have no clue what the interface is once you have items actually in your wishlist, but I imagine it will still look like a list of names and maybe where they come from. I Also believe that being a sucker for punishment and making a character sheet like interface for veiwing what item is in which slot would be awesome. (Think wow-armory but with the gear you selected with the added benefit of mousing over and having it tell you in what instance/what boss in that instance it drops from.)

Another thing that would be the ultimate cherry on top, but would be a nightmare to do, is to actually load a character sheet into it, meaning adding and subtracting items you could see what effect it was having on your stats (good for dps classes so balancing hit/exp with desired stats is a tad easier and requires less homework.

TL;DR most people are really lazy, making things more self contained and sustainable means they're much more likely to be a hit.

Three mountains and I understand you're still in your beta, just giving some feedback

If people are actually that stupid then they honestly deserved their account being stolen.

TL;DR de-railing of a thread by way of account/password intelligence :

Briefly looking at it, the site looks pretty neat. I've always wanted a site to store wishlists and stuff online instead of having to use the Wowhead comparison tool. One thing I noticed, is when you register, the message saying the registration was successful is labeled as an Error. This could cause some confusion for some people.

Otherwise, keep up the great work, it deffinitely has a lot of potential!

Hi DTJ, Thanks for your feedback.

I agree with everything you said, unfortunately those things you addressed are not things that are easily implemented, this does not mean I won't do it however, it just means it will take time.

Rest assured though, those type of features you spoke of are definitely on my radar, as said though; I want to start with an basic functionality and extend from there rather than try and do everything at once.

I'm not sure I understood you right but did you mean that you are unable to add item ID 50027 to your wishlist? I just tried adding it myself and it worked fine. If you indeed have trouble adding this item please let me know what steps you take, what the result is and what browser / os you are using.

Thanks

A few more suggestions as I'm exploring the website..

Currently, when you search for an item (when adding an item), the item is displayed. I suggest changing the item to either not go to Wowhead when clicked, instead add it to the list as well, or open up the item in a new window/tab. Having it just add the item upon clicked is probably the best option in my opinion.

Also, if you don't want to create your own in-game addon, since atlasloot does a great job already, maybe you could work with the creator of Atlasloot (Daviesh) to make them compatible. You two might be able to work something out where in the end, you can export a wishlist from in-game and add it to your site, as well as imporing a wishlist to Atlasloot from your site. This might be able to prevent you from having to deal with the stresses of maintaining a website as well as an addon.

I'll probably post more as I play with the site a bit more.

http://www.wowhead.com/?help=profiler
    seems..like the same but finished

Quote Originally Posted by solf
    http://www.wowhead.com/?help=profiler
    seems..like the same but finished
    Did you even check wow-wishlist.com? :P They're completely different in funcionality .. The wowhead profiler shows your current gear and achievements and allows you to look for upgrades, wow-wishlist is the missing link that allows you to plan your upgrades and see where you need to go to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oogrum
    A few more suggestions as I'm exploring the website..

Currently, when you search for an item (when adding an item), the item is displayed. I suggest changing the item to either not go to Wowhead when clicked, instead add it to the list as well, or open up the item in a new window/tab. Having it just add the item upon clicked is probably the best option in my opinion.

Also, if you don't want to create your own in-game addon, since atlasloot does a great job already, maybe you could work with the creator of Atlasloot (Daviesh) to make them compatible. You two might be able to work something out where in the end, you can export a wishlist from in-game and add it to your site, as well as imporing a wishlist to Atlasloot from your site. This might be able to prevent you from having to deal with the stresses of maintaining a website as well as an addon.

I'll probably post more as I play with the site a bit more.
    This is a good idea and one I'm considering already, though of course the creators of Atlas Loot would have to be willing to collaborate on this as well.

10+ Year Old Account

Tested website from a 1440x900 perspective using Firefox 3.5.7 on a mac.
    Visually, the site doesn't work on this tested platform - the background image isn't big enough, and the background color itself is different from the image color. Mechanically the site is headed in the right direction, but your visual polish is lacking. Merely pointing out what's needed on the front-end for this site.

Here's a screencap of what i'm talking about.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9530/picture2od.png

Thanks Halym, I did have some issues with color matching the background image and the background color however there are quite some issues with browsers on this field as even though the color codes are exactly the same some browsers will render an image color code differently from regular in-browser color definition.

On all browsers I tested it on it matched up though, I will do some more testing to see if I can match it properly.

Seriously. MD5 cannot be decrypted, newb. SHA1 is much less secure than MD5. Stfu since you don't seem to know anything.

This is a very good and creative idea, wish you good luck with this! Will definitely try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonaza
    Seriously. MD5 cannot be decrypted, newb. SHA1 is much less secure than MD5. Stfu since you don't seem to know anything.
    Actually he's pretty much right;
    Truth is neither can be decrypted; Both are simply very often bruteforced, Aka people use software that tries to find text that when turned into the hash has the same result.
    MD5 is simply more popular(For no particual reason) And is much more often bruteforce attacked than SHA1

Thanks Peach3500 - I'm aware of the problem Will be fixed soon.

@Halym - Can you check again now? It should be fixed. Apparently most browsers don't respect color profiles so I had to save the images without a color profile defined.