Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Archaic Warlock spells that need a face-lift in Cataclysm...

The following spells need to be re-assessed. They are the spells that fail in both PvE and PvP situations.

Shadowflame - Damage is not worth the cooldown, cone range is extremely limited. Without the glyph, this spell would be completely useless in PvP as well as PvE. I know Blizzard don't want to use glyphs in order to make a spell useful, so my suggestion would be to give it some utility (and/or increase damage). Give it a stock 50-70% snare while increasing the cone range to 10 yards. Change the glyph to reduce cooldown or remove snare but increase damage (for PvE).

Inferno - No brainer, this pet is a net DPS loss no matter what spec you have. No reason to ever summon this guy other than as a gimmick. Suggestion would be to keep it as is but make it summonable while you have a pet out.

Ritual of Doom - Same as above. This guy is a little too strong to be a complimentary to your existing pet, so I suggest you just flat out increase the damage on this guy. Give him his own niche, like as an AoE pet (buff his rain of fire?)

Hellfire - Hands down our most useless spell thus far. There is absolutely NO reason to ever use this spell other than wanting to kill yourself without a durability loss. Less damage than RoF, requires melee range, does damage to you, this spell is so bad now, it's laughable.

Curses - Debuff curses like CoE and CoW need to be reworked. I suggest combining them into the DPS curses. Such as, make CoD also increase spell damage on target by 13% and make CoA decrease target AP/armor. Problem solved.

Drain Mana - Is this spell ever used any more since the PvP nerf? It was never that useful in PvE, now it's also pretty useless in PvP as well. It''s channeled with limited range. Suggestion? I dunno... Nothing really can be done other than increasing its power 10 fold on PvE to make it useful on bosses like Deathwhisper...
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Archaic Warlock spells that need a face-lift in Cataclysm...

I have to agree, that they should make every thing a class offers worth something in some way. Many of the mentioned are really no use anylonger, and IMO that gives me a wrong expression about the class (broken, and not being taked care of). Remove the spells and abilities or make them good.

Detect Invisibility: Is it so POWERFUL that it HAS to have a 10 minute duration? Can we put it at 30 mins or something?...

Enslave Demon: Remove the debuffs on the enslaved pet, they aren't that much more powerful then a normal demon, and it's not like there are many demons worth taming anyways (and for the cost of a soul shard...)

Eye of Kilrogg: Make it shoot LASERS!... ?

Health Funnel: Make it take health from whatever the pet is attacking and xfer that to the pet, not from the lock =]

Hellfire: Put it on cooldown, and make it do all it's damage instantaneously.

Inferno: Cooldown on a pet that doesn't have any skills and isn't any more powerful then a normal dps pet? lame.

Ritual of Doom/Curse of Doom: The RoD pet should last 15 mins without needing enslaving, the CoD one should last 2.5 mins the same way.

Ritual of Souls: Make this usable by one person, not 2. Maybe then, people will use it again (since we don't need to use it anymore with new dungeon features, making it worthless).

Pets:
    -Voidwalker: Needs to generate more threat in PvE
    -Succubus: I'm still not sure what this pet is for....
    -Felhunter: Fel Intelligence -> Also provides permament/non-dispellable detect invis buff to lock/pet (I know they used to have something similar, but this still makes sense as far as the nature of the pet goes).

All dots has a 5min length. DPS solved.

15+ Year Old Account

Not all spells have to be useful all the time.

Look at many of the recent games, such as Modern Warfare 2 or Prototype. You get an entire aresenal of abilities/weapony, but at the end of the day its two shotguns/whip because they're easy to use and do a lot of damage (or enough to warrant using them).

No matter what you do to these spells, they simply turn into "lol you are using seed? lol scrub, u should use hellfire its more dps" or what have you.

R.I.P. YARG

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Actually, I find Hellfire to be useful. When the raid leader calls for a wipe, simply run to the corner, Life Tap down to about 5%, then Hellfire yourself to death, saving yourself the repair bill. (Sure, you might have to right-click off Fel Armor and any HoTs folks have hit you with.)

OK, it's not very useful, and it's not it's intended use... but it works.

I wouldn't mind seeing it reworked into a selfish version of a palladin's Divine Intervention: casting Hellfire instantly kills the warlock, without durability damage to their equipment... but does absolutely nothing for anyone else in the raid. Sucks to be the rest of you!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DocQuantum
    Actually, I find Hellfire to be useful. When the raid leader calls for a wipe, simply run to the corner, Life Tap down to about 5%, then Hellfire yourself to death, saving yourself the repair bill. (Sure, you might have to right-click off Fel Armor and any HoTs folks have hit you with.)

OK, it's not very useful, and it's not it's intended use... but it works.

I wouldn't mind seeing it reworked into a selfish version of a palladin's Divine Intervention: casting Hellfire instantly kills the warlock, without durability damage to their equipment... but does absolutely nothing for anyone else in the raid. Sucks to be the rest of you!
    Hellfire - 10s cast - Causes the flames of hell to rip a fabric in space time, resetting the encounter, preserving the entire raid's gear, and teleports the caster to the Molten Core to battle Ragnaros, solo.
    Flavor Text: It's like Bubble/Hearth, but for people who rock out.

R.I.P. YARG

They should give hellfire a knock back then it would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    The following spells need to be re-assessed. They are the spells that fail in both PvE and PvP situations.

Shadowflame - Damage is not worth the cooldown, cone range is extremely limited. Without the glyph, this spell would be completely useless in PvP as well as PvE. I know Blizzard don't want to use glyphs in order to make a spell useful, so my suggestion would be to give it some utility (and/or increase damage). Give it a stock 50-70% snare while increasing the cone range to 10 yards. Change the glyph to reduce cooldown or remove snare but increase damage (for PvE).
    I don't think they will change this for long time.. There were lot of suggestion for make it better but nothing had changed.

Inferno - No brainer, this pet is a net DPS loss no matter what spec you have. No reason to ever summon this guy other than as a gimmick. Suggestion would be to keep it as is but make it summonable while you have a pet out.

Ritual of Doom - Same as above. This guy is a little too strong to be a complimentary to your existing pet, so I suggest you just flat out increase the damage on this guy. Give him his own niche, like as an AoE pet (buff his rain of fire?)
    Well these are more like fun spell than useful spells.

Hellfire - Hands down our most useless spell thus far. There is absolutely NO reason to ever use this spell other than wanting to kill yourself without a durability loss. Less damage than RoF, requires melee range, does damage to you, this spell is so bad now, it's laughable.
    Well this spell need to be revamped for looong time. My suggestion is remove self dmg from it + add some dmg and cooldown

Curses - Debuff curses like CoE and CoW need to be reworked. I suggest combining them into the DPS curses. Such as, make CoD also increase spell damage on target by 13% and make CoA decrease target AP/armor. Problem solved.
    I think they should add a talent to affli tree that will give one more slot for curses.

Drain Mana - Is this spell ever used any more since the PvP nerf? It was never that useful in PvE, now it's also pretty useless in PvP as well. It''s channeled with limited range. Suggestion? I dunno... Nothing really can be done other than increasing its power 10 fold on PvE to make it useful on bosses like Deathwhisper...
    Well mana drain was very useful in vanilla raiding. Little more mana drained would help.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJakkass86
    Detect Invisibility: Is it so POWERFUL that it HAS to have a 10 minute duration? Can we put it at 30 mins or something?...
    I agree

Enslave Demon: Remove the debuffs on the enslaved pet, they aren't that much more powerful then a normal demon, and it's not like there are many demons worth taming anyways (and for the cost of a soul shard...)
    Well new soul shard system will solve problem with shard. With other I agree again.

Eye of Kilrogg: Make it shoot LASERS!... ?

Health Funnel: Make it take health from whatever the pet is attacking and xfer that to the pet, not from the lock =]
    Lol I don't think this will ever happend

Hellfire: Put it on cooldown, and make it do all it's damage instantaneously.

Inferno: Cooldown on a pet that doesn't have any skills and isn't any more powerful then a normal dps pet? lame.

Ritual of Doom/Curse of Doom: The RoD pet should last 15 mins without needing enslaving, the CoD one should last 2.5 mins the same way.
    As I told before

Ritual of Souls: Make this usable by one person, not 2. Maybe then, people will use it again (since we don't need to use it anymore with new dungeon features, making it worthless).
    I don't see problems with this spell

Pets:
    -Voidwalker: Needs to generate more threat in PvE
    -Succubus: I'm still not sure what this pet is for....
    -Felhunter: Fel Intelligence -> Also provides permament/non-dispellable detect invis buff to lock/pet (I know they used to have something similar, but this still makes sense as far as the nature of the pet goes).
    I agree with Voidwalked
    Fellhunter is okay
    Succubus hmm... she was useful when you needed more cc in dungeon but with situation of wotlk dungeons she would more slow dps than help. For pvp she was usable for destro pvp but with new conflag change she is totally worthless.

15+ Year Old Account

Inferno rules the few times ones pet die and one doesnt have insta summon specced ;D
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Well it would be cool if you could drain life and health funnel at the same time

Hellfire needs a 5 second immunity to all damage for a 5 second cast/channel with a 1.5-2 minute CD (AND CASTABLE WHILE STUNNED) - would solve our roguestunlockroflcopterkickCoSVANISHHAHAURDEAD and IRdkSOIWILLSILENCEYOU7TIMESANDCHAINYOUANDUNHOLYBLIGHTYOURFACEWITHAMZANDAMS4TIMESHAHASCRUB (subtitles at the bottom) problems imo

We need better pets, preferably enslave-able pets that last for longer like an hour or 3 - with better abilities. (hunter pets could use some better abilities)

Would be cool if we could get gear for our pets (collars/weapons) or even just a talent tree for some.

Imo hunter pets are cooler than our 5 (useful) demons and they all look different.

Shadowflame needs a wider cone with a cooler DoT on it

I know a lot of this sounds like -cooler pets ffs blizz make it happen- I know everybody will call it OP but they really need to become a core part of the class.

Drain mana is decent imo but is completely worthless in pve maybe a mana draining DoT that can affect bosses by some kind of margin?

I wouldnt mind more DoTs since warlock is the premier DoT caster for the game.

Subtitles
    rogue stunlock roflcopter kick CoS VANISH HAHA UR DEAD and I R dk SO I WILL SILENCE YOU 7 TIMES AND CHAIN YOU AND UNHOLY BLIGHT YOUR FACE WITH AMZ AND AMS 4 TIMES HAHA SCRUB

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Hellfire - 10s cast - Causes the flames of hell to rip a fabric in space time, resetting the encounter, preserving the entire raid's gear, and teleports the caster to the Molten Core to battle Ragnaros, solo.
    Flavor Text: It's like Bubble/Hearth, but for people who rock out.
    I would cast this spell.

A lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Separate
    Maybe I can see if Exodus or Paragon have a strat on how to make girls clothes just fall off, exploiting of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfen13
    There are exploits for that, but you get a long time in prison for them...

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ZzXK
    Well it would be cool if you could drain life and health funnel at the same time

Hellfire needs a 5 second immunity to all damage for a 5 second cast/channel with a 1.5-2 minute CD (AND CASTABLE WHILE STUNNED) - would solve our roguestunlockroflcopterkickCoSVANISHHAHAURDEAD and IRdkSOIWILLSILENCEYOU7TIMESANDCHAINYOUANDUNHOLYBLIGHTYOURFACEWITHAMZANDAMS4TIMESHAHASCRUB (subtitles at the bottom) problems imo

We need better pets, preferably enslave-able pets that last for longer like an hour or 3 - with better abilities. (hunter pets could use some better abilities)

Would be cool if we could get gear for our pets (collars/weapons) or even just a talent tree for some.

Imo hunter pets are cooler than our 5 (useful) demons and they all look different.

Shadowflame needs a wider cone with a cooler DoT on it

I know a lot of this sounds like -cooler pets ffs blizz make it happen- I know everybody will call it OP but they really need to become a core part of the class.

Drain mana is decent imo but is completely worthless in pve maybe a mana draining DoT that can affect bosses by some kind of margin?

I wouldnt mind more DoTs since warlock is the premier DoT caster for the game.

Subtitles
    rogue stunlock roflcopter kick CoS VANISH HAHA UR DEAD and I R dk SO I WILL SILENCE YOU 7 TIMES AND CHAIN YOU AND UNHOLY BLIGHT YOUR FACE WITH AMZ AND AMS 4 TIMES HAHA SCRUB
    I would not want this, since it brings our class closer to another class, and that isn't really the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    I would not want this, since it brings our class closer to another class, and that isn't really the idea.
    How so? What other class could be even close to that?

Hellfire gave me tons of laughs, really fun to die by it. but dmg wise i never use it to dps.

The Infernal pet is fun to summon when boosting, let him do all the job with 1 SoC and watch the show :P Other then that I don't use it.

Shadowflame with the glyph is bad imo, Im removing it as soon as I get back to wow, I just figured out like... If i want him slowed, and then run away from him, why do i have to get in melee range for HIM to be able to slow him. That's just stupid since if he is a rogue or DK or warrior etc he will slow me to when im nearby. So Im just gonna drop the glyph and spec into Curse of Exhaustion. That way I can slow them and they cant slow me. Profit

Ritual of Doom, My warlock has been lvl80 for a month now, how do i get this? ;D

Oh and I use Drain mana a lot in PvP (specially since I team with a disc priest and he mana burns and I mana drian = win) But in PvE I have found no use for it, im sorry. :P

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ZzXK
    How so? What other class could be even close to that?
    Umm hunters, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by annarion
    Umm hunters, for one.
    Both classes need to have their pets more integrated into the class.

Ok I'm kind of a warlock noob, got a 67 affliction lock I've been enjoying immensely... The sheer amount of stuff you are able to do is great! And yeah some of the archaic spells are situational at best... but reading this thread I was surprised no one mentioned Soul Fire. Six second cast, costs a shard, damage is very underwhelming.. I expected there to be some support ability to make it a useful nuke like a mage's PoM pyroblast, so far haven't seen anything.

So what is the deal with Soul Fire ???

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam
    Ok I'm kind of a warlock noob, got a 67 affliction lock I've been enjoying immensely... The sheer amount of stuff you are able to do is great! And yeah some of the archaic spells are situational at best... but reading this thread I was surprised no one mentioned Soul Fire. Six second cast, costs a shard, damage is very underwhelming.. I expected there to be some support ability to make it a useful nuke like a mage's PoM pyroblast, so far haven't seen anything.

So what is the deal with Soul Fire ???
    Go Demo and spec for decimation but other than that the spell is useless. (BTW with decimation, its only useful when the mob/boss you are fighting is 35%

Hellfire can be useful, say if you have a harmful spell stacking trinket like Muradin's Spyglass...Acidmaw and Dreadscale burrow...Oh noes my trinket stack will wear off! Quick tick of hellfire keeps it going.