UH DPS Expertise question.

Okay, to start off, here's my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Verees%C3%A0

As you can probably see, my Expertise is 25 (6.25%) and since I'm aiming for the 2p t10 very soon, should I get a single Expertise gem to get over the cap (26) in order to secure all my Scourge Strikes missing. Or is 25 expertise enough to justify leaving it as is?

I would appreciate it if you answered.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Re: UH DPS Expertise question.

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà
    Okay, to start off, here's my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Verees%C3%A0

As you can probably see, my Expertise is 25 (6.25%) and since I'm aiming for the 2p t10 very soon, should I get a single Expertise gem to get over the cap (26) in order to secure all my Scourge Strikes missing. Or is 25 expertise enough to justify leaving it as is?

I would appreciate it if you answered.
    its a matter of preference.

on paper, gemming expertise is always worse to gemming strenght - thats mostly because unholy has a quite loose rotation with several free gcds (and dodged/missed strikes dont cost runes, so you can just recast them at one of those free gcds)

in realitiy, when not expertise capped you constanly have to pay attention to the fact that one of your strike could get dodged and if you dont react right (reuse the ability) it can easily throw off your rotation - while paying attention surely isnt the hardest thing in the world i for myself prefer the "freedon" of "blindly proceeding my rotation" and as a result can contentrate more on fight specific things, like movement and so on.

i would go with 1 expertise gem in your case though spreadsheets/sims will probably tell you its 0.x dps loss over strenght

Quote Originally Posted by highwind01
    its a matter of preference.
    ^
    I never go out of my way to gem/enchant for it when i'm w/in 1 or 2 expertise.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Deleted

Gemming for expertise is a waste for UH dps, regardless of your current expertise rating. Even with virtually no expertise you have so few strikes dodged or parried in any fight that it's simple enough to just recast the strike and move on without it affecting anything.

Thanks everyone. I'll just not gem expertise at all as UH.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

I actually like being few points below caps
    That way when I get an upgrade I'm not overcapped
    (but that's just me... I hate regeming and I hate being overcapped)

Gemming for expertise is always worthless for dks. The only time your expertise dips low enough to see a noticable is if you're severely undergeared. 1 or 2 pieces of gear with expertise on it generally puts you close enough for things not to matter.

My main point is that in most cases you'll get more out of gemming for str rather than expertise.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Just stick to mantra gem pure strength mate, unless your socket bonuses are more than 4 str or 5 armpen and u have a yellow slot then get a strength/crit gem, i have only 14/26 expertise and it doesnt make a blind bit of difference since u have many free gcd with the reaping build, if one of your attack's is dodged just requeue it in one of the free globals.

If you dont have 2 t10 and still using the non-reaping build it may have a bigger impact since you have 2 less gcd from using BS more but upgrading from 25/26 you will see no change tbh.

Hope this helps. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    27 is the cap I believe, Im at 20 and I barely ever get dodged blocked or parried. its not really that big of a thing,
    26 is the cap.

to the OP

expertise is a stat you wanna get as close to cap without going over, and without gemming and enchanting. so being just under cap would be ideal unless you somehow magically hit the cap perfectly. going over is wasted stats no matter how ya cut it.

Deleted

First reply got it spot on really. On paper, Str is better, but that assumed you always notice the plague strike was dodged and you halt your rotation immediately to reattempt it. Under those circumstances, Str is better.