Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Thought my resto shaman was weak, turns out i was just thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Apra
    How do you use the wrong rank? That's what I can't figure out. Unless you made a macro and embedded ranks in them, which you don't need to do, they won't ever be the wrong rank.
    If your character is dual-spec'd you can end up with lower ranked spells on your bar. Any normal person will level, go to their trainer and learn everything available. Usually WoW will update all of the spells on your bars, as it should. Well if you are dual-spec'd the game will only update the spells on the bars of your current spec. Meening that when you swap over to your second spec, whichever spells you had there before are the same ones that are on your bar now. They didn't update, because you weren't using that spec when you learned your new abilities.

Every time I train on one of my toons now, I have to swap into my dual-spec and go down the list of what I just learned, manually replacing any abilities that I just upgraded to the new highest rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayt
    If your character is dual-spec'd you can end up with lower ranked spells on your bar. Any normal person will level, go to their trainer and learn everything available. Usually WoW will update all of the spells on your bars, as it should. Well if you are dual-spec'd the game will only update the spells on the bars of your current spec. Meening that when you swap over to your second spec, whichever spells you had there before are the same ones that are on your bar now. They didn't update, because you weren't using that spec when you learned your new abilities.

Every time I train on one of my toons now, I have to swap into my dual-spec and go down the list of what I just learned, manually replacing any abilities that I just upgraded to the new highest rank.
    i was about to reply saying the same thing had happened to me, and had no idea in the world why it happened.
    thx for the info, did you just figure it out or was there posts\threads i missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Apra
    How do you use the wrong rank? That's what I can't figure out. Unless you made a macro and embedded ranks in them, which you don't need to do, they won't ever be the wrong rank.
    When you swap specs, more often than not, the one you're switching TO (especially while leveling), will not update correctly. This *also* applies to any macros you have that are tied to abilities with ranks. If you don't switch ranks, then the macros/spells update accordingly.

However, gain a few levels and switch to a spec, or in the case of the OP, switch after 20 levels of not needing to heal and you don't notice/forget to check when learning abilities. After all, Blizzard put in the "automatically overwrites your spells with new ones" in long ago in vanilla WoW and people forget about it. Those that buy dual spec while leveling wouldn't know to look for it.

I found out this is what was causing problems for a DK friend in the guild. I told him he's was writing the macros wrong and that there's no need anymore to specific ranks on his abilities but he stubbornly refused to believe me. It wasn't until I actually tinkered with my DK (and later Shaman) when I switched specs, not having played him since 3.1, and noticed that even though most of my strikes were tied to macros for RS spam, they weren't updating because that spec had been "old" when new abilities were put in. Granted, I had to do was simply re-drag the macro button onto the hotbar but it's not something you would immeditely notice unless you knew the max rank on every single ability you have.

its badly broken tho, i was in isle of conquest and it said you used wyvern sting rank 2 and shoulda of used rank 4 5 whatever the max rank is

i thought hmmm max rank wyvern sting, that'd be really handy for an elemental shaman.

I had rankwatch tell a party member via /w today he was using downranked spells , and all I got was a foul whispered reply.

Now I use it just to keep track of my own toons spells.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsrobe
    its badly broken tho, i was in isle of conquest and it said you used wyvern sting rank 2 and shoulda of used rank 4 5 whatever the max rank is

i thought hmmm max rank wyvern sting, that'd be really handy for an elemental shaman.
    By default it is configured to whisper other people letting them know when you see them use a downranked spell. If you have it installed you will see your whisper going out to someone else in your chat window. If you aren't paying close attention in a BG it could easily look like it is saying you are using the wrong spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio
    Same problem with warrior. Was using rank 3 devestate instead of rank 5. And on my prot pala I was using 2 level lower than max consecration.
    Same thing with my pally tank. I was informed by a random pug with rank watch I was using a lower rank of Consecrate also. I offered him words of praise and many many thanks for letting me know.

For healing, Clique prevents this, it always uses max rank available... Same as the macro situation someone pointed out. If you haven't tried either Clique or mouse-over macros for healing, I would recommend at least giving it a whirl for a week, it made me and a lot of other friends significantly better healers.

Ran into 2 group mates yesterday (same random pug) that hadn't updated spells. Both were happy that Rankwatch pointed it out to them.

This has become my favorite addon. I star guessing at who's ranks are wrong when I enter instances.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Somerandomhobo
    So today (thanks to a helpful random with rankwatch) i found out 90% of my spells on my OS (resto....) weren't the right rank. You may think that 300-400 less healing isnt that bad per rank but i was using rank 4 chain heal (should have been level 7) and rank 10 healing wave (instead of 14). So next time you see your rank watch going off, please god tell them, would have been alot easier to heal if anyone had told me >.<
    WTF.

i hadnt physically learned the new spells of earth shield or tidal wave, so had to go train them after making my OS

that was a big whoops