Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Why SoTA is the worst BG

Quote Originally Posted by Zelgo
    50% of the time, I'm guaranteed to hate the game from the start (starting on defense), no matter what.

There are basically 5 things results you can get out of SoTA:

Start on offense, awesome team:
    Attack quick, defend for equal time (6-12 ~ min total) 3 tokens
    yay I don't have to be here for long and I won!

Start on defense, awesome team:
    Defend for 10 minute, attack, win quickly (13-17 ~ min total) 3 tokens
    This is probably my biggest issue. I love to PVP (world, arena, bg) and I seriously AFK any game where I start on defense. I know I shouldn't, I know its wrong and hurts the other people trying to gain honor / tokens, but I HATE defense first (I got stuck with it for a whole year as horde, thx blizz)

Start of offense, bad team:
    Fail attack for entire duration, then lose quickly on defense (13-17 ~ min total) 1 token
    This is similar time to the previous in time, but I am stay for the first half. If we lose, I just /afk. Again, same thing, its bad, but I already know the game is over at this point, and I don't need more tokens

Start on defense, bad team:
    Defend for short period of time, fail to attack quicker (6-12 ~ min total) 1 token
    At least I wasn't here for 20 minutes ...

Equal teams, defense/offense irrelevant:
    Defend for 10 minutes, fail to attack for 10 minutes, any order. (20 minutes total) 1 token
    I could be wrong, was always 1 token back in the day. Did they change this to 2 tokens like it should be? Always 4 tokens total are given out, this is the only way I know to have a total of only 2 tokens given out in any BG. A tie should be 2/2, at least you didn't lose ...

I hate this BG, its my lowest mark (at 72 I think). It's the only "1 sided bg" in the way I listed that I can think of. The only possible way I can think to improve this BG is to allow defense to shorten the time, similar to the southern towers in WG idea.
    lol'wut?

L2p SoTA and QQ.
    Pre-nerf Battlemaster

If you see me, run away, or it will be the last thing you'll ever see.

Personally I hate AV. Its hardly pvp.

15+ Year Old Account

Agree, new Bg's are more like aliance vs horde instead of player versus player. The thing about PVP is that ure suposed to kick other players ass, not the other factions ass. AV and Isles are prime examples of this as the players can basicly attack each other fortresses with very small limits on that part.

Wsg however, 1-2 players are in center about the flag. The teams main objective is to protect the guy carying the flag and defend their own flag at the same time. This creates Player versus player. Not Player versus galvanger...
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account

Shitty BG nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by olih27
    I read no further, that sentence makes no sense what so ever, it's kinda like saying
    "Whatever happens i might be guaranteed to hate SOTA"
    Sex Panther. 60% of the time, it works every time.

10+ Year Old Account

the newer style of bg's aspire to the noobs that cant really pvp. You can do isle, and strand with minimal pvp combat. I really hate this.
    i agree with this somewhat. part of the joy of pvp for me is physically destroying kids with my fat lightning bolts/battle axes etc. if you are playing strand well, it means you are in a siege vehicle shooting at walls for the majority of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by romant
    the newer style of bg's aspire to the noobs that cant really pvp. You can do isle, and strand with minimal pvp combat. I really hate this.
    If you're playing against a fairly even team there should be plenty of character PvP at graveyards and gates (the other team using charges) when you aren't killing cata's.

I do agree that it sucks when you start as defensive with a good team. Maybe they could introduce a reinforcements element to the catapults or players to make it faster when you are good at defending?

What blizzard should do is, make all bg tokens the same kind.
    This way people can play their favorite bgs. Ofc some bgs will be empty if this happens but so what?
    People will play for the fun and not feel restricted to one bg just becasue they need that kind of token

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07
    I don't understand why SotA has 2 rounds. if you are on D and the other team can capture the portal they pretty much win since is there really a point on defending unless you want to make it a tie and still get 1 mark?
    to clarify SoTA for you:
    Lets say you start on D, lose with 2 minutes remaining. You then begin on offense with a totally of (10-2)=8 minutes. If you attack in your allotted time, you attacked quicker, and therefore won by the rules of the game. You would receive 3 marks, the other team would only receive one, even though they had a successful offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by legendariuz
    lol'wut?

L2p SoTA and QQ.
    From what I see, you are a battle master, so I'll just go along with the assumption you know bgs fairly well. I'm not claiming I suck at SoTA, nor that I can't win. What I am claiming is that even if you had the best team ever, 15 battle master/arena masters/gladiators (all 3, not just one of each ), and you guys were all on vent together, and the other team was ENTIRELY afk botting, not releasing upon their first death, defense would still take 10 minutes.

That is the root of my issue

Quote Originally Posted by Kwickslash
    Sex Panther. 60% of the time, it works every time.
    +1 interwebz for you chap
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

If you are playing bg's for tokens or honor only, all of them are boring. The aim of the game and pvp is fun not farming.

I hate strand with a burning passion. I play in BGs cause I want to compete in Player vs Player, not Vehicle vs Wall

Rogues and Warriors are at a huge disadvantage in SoTA.

Some classes can passenger a tank and spam chains of ice, slow, frost shock, entangling roots, etc on any attackers and get an easy win if your group consists mostly of these classes.
    skott#1374 - add me to expand your b.net friends list of reliable players for raiding/arena.

Video if myself raid healing, raid dps, and raid tanking:

http://goo.gl/wNZeS5

Quote Originally Posted by Blightmare
    I hate strand with a burning passion. I play in BGs cause I want to compete in Player vs Player, not Vehicle vs Wall
    Telling a wall to "EAT SEAFORIUM BITCH" just doesn't really do it for me either.
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

all the battlegrounds are crappy when honor is so low and gear for them is so expensive, concerted efforts turn ins only gives you 1500 honor and you have to do six battlegrounds to get badges sure you can get more than one if you win but on a server where alliance is weak good luck at doing that, and the horde wonder why they are geared while alliance is not and doesn't want to pvp, and if i wanted to be pvp oriented i would have to give up doing pve stuff honestly farming enough honor to get a full pvp set jeez and by the time i farm enough badges to get pvp stuff i could have better pve gear so...

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinOrcWarrior
    Rogues and Warriors are at a huge disadvantage in SoTA.

Some classes can passenger a tank and spam chains of ice, slow, frost shock, entangling roots, etc on any attackers and get an easy win if your group consists mostly of these classes.
    Absolutely. I actually don't mind playing on my lock where i can fear and dot up everything in sight without so much as being targeted. But even then it's still the worst WG imo

10+ Year Old Account

i hate it when alliance defends first, the horde boats dont despawn, then half of the alliance team gets stuck in the lower level of the horde boat and can't get out.

multiple patches / minipatches have gone by and this hasn't been fixed. Ticket responses come back saying "yeah, we know, and we're working on it."

it sucks -_-
    Look up, see the buzzards circling?

I'm fine with SoTA, but I do dislike how the game can end in a tie. If a tie happens, it's usually after a good 20 or so minutes of play time, and for just 1 mark for everyone without even any bonus honor, it just makes me annoyed. Ties happen in WSG too, but I don't mind it as much because it's smaller and filled with more PvP time with no reliance on vehicles.
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbot
    CLEARLY this is blizzard ONCE AGAIN catering to casuals. Us hardcore have no problem with taking an extra 8 seconds to cast a basic camp fire. That's how it's been for years. This game just gets easier and easier, Blizzard may as well just hand out free camp fires all over the major cities at this point!

The only thing I agree with is the tie issue which is kinda BS.

SotA is fine otherwise. I got Battlemaster without any premades ever including this one, so nothing is impossible. I feel for horde here since until recently got the shaft for defense of the ancients(I got my battlemaster on alliance and faction changed only recently), but you have an equal chance to do it now.

On the tie thing, there have been some EPIC turn arounds on D where when we were on O, the last gate needed only a couple more hits, but on D it ended a tie with the opposing team only breaking the 2nd set of walls. Kinda bull and should count as a win.

A solution to the tie thing would be whichever team got closer to the orb or got to it faster should win.

Maybe I'm weird, but I kinda like SotA, there is a few games I dislike when I played, but for the most part I just got lucky and had some epic games.
    The future belongs not to those who wait...