Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: How much haste as Affliction?

More to the point I think people are way too caught up in the whole "stack these stats" mindset, that's not how you get the best gear possible. If you want to see how good an item is, what you do is simply multiply the amount you get from each stat with the DPS value of that stat, and add them all together for a total value. Mindlessly just taking anything with haste on it will end up with you doing a lot less DPS than someone who actually checks the real value of their gear.

Saying "I'm going to go for [x] amount of haste" is a somewhat silly thing to say unless there's a significant softcap at that point (frankly, those hardly really exist for warlocks)- you'd be better off just judging items by their DPS value relative to your current gearset than you would be by aiming for a certain amount of specific stats.

Deleted

To add to what Warlocomotif said, it's important to remember, especially when looking at scaling values, that the value of a stat will depend on the specific stats you currently have. The often quoted scaling values are based on assumed particular distributions of stats. As such those precise values do not apply to you! Although, if you are gearing intelligently you should closely approximate them.

As an example, imagine a warlock geared to 5% crit vs a warlock with 20% crit and all other stats identical, for the former a further 1% crit is going to increase his damage from (100 + 0.05 x 100)X/100 to (100 + 0.06 x 100)X/100 (assume crits hit for 100 extra damage and X is some kind of measure of damage disregarding crit) - that would be a damage increase of 0.952%

For the second lock we'd have (100 + 0.2 x 100)X/100 to (100 + 0.21 x 100)X/100 - a damage increase of 0.833%

Any increases in any other stat would have identical effects for each warlock, but crit is more valuable to one than the other, so clearly crit scaling factors are different for these two warlocks.

10+ Year Old Account

Stack so much haste that you spam one button and then you win! *cough mage cough*
    Doctor Octopus : 80 Asura Warrior
    Captain McNuggets : 80 Human Mesmer
    Professor McNuggets : 36 Asura Engineer
    General McNuggets: 11 Sylvari Thief

haste is def a great thing to be stacking

Depending on what gear set I am running, (Currently have 6 sets I can swap between depending on the fight, or that pesky Shadow Priest turned up) I run anywhere from 1000 Haste Unbuffed upto 1174 Haste Fully Unbuffed with only 3 items being non-haste items.

Tempted to Drop NiC from my Main Set however for the Abyss Rune as it works out to an extra Shadow Bolt per rotation for me. But this also depends on if I choose to use 4 set over 2 set as well.

(To Clarify I have all 4 pieces that I want. They are except the Gloves still the base model and not sure atm if dropping 80 Haste from main set is going to be worth it. I have 264 Shoulders and Gloves that just smash me T10 on stats).

Haste food on top of Haste Pot, Spellstone, Heroism, Eradication, Swift Auras, WoAt, (And the sodding Crit Chicken if he turns up) brings my Shadowbolts down to roughly 1.3 Seconds so.........

Stack as much haste as you can.

It would however be nice to know if anyone that is doing 25 Heroics has seen the Heroic DFO drop and is using it alongside the Normal one. (What's the haste like?)

You cannot wear heroic and normal versions of the same trinket anymore (ICC loot that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Warlocomotif
    More to the point I think people are way too caught up in the whole "stack these stats" mindset, that's not how you get the best gear possible. If you want to see how good an item is, what you do is simply multiply the amount you get from each stat with the DPS value of that stat, and add them all together for a total value. Mindlessly just taking anything with haste on it will end up with you doing a lot less DPS than someone who actually checks the real value of their gear.

Saying "I'm going to go for [x] amount of haste" is a somewhat silly thing to say unless there's a significant softcap at that point (frankly, those hardly really exist for warlocks)- you'd be better off just judging items by their DPS value relative to your current gearset than you would be by aiming for a certain amount of specific stats.
    This. Warlocks should never feel like they should be stacking a certain stat. The best way to do it is to update your scale factors every time you change your gear, and use those to work out what is worth more dps before changing your gear again. It gets a little more complicated if you want to factor in raid dps, but generally most warlocks will want to look at an item, use scale factors to work out the overall dps value of that item to work out if it's an upgrade.

Sure I much prefer items with haste on and I generally stay away from those with hit/crit but if it is still an upgrade over what I have I will use that item, it just means it would have to be quite a significant upgrade.

The stat priorities are all you need to know. Sure haste might be second best compared to spell power but you have to consider the actual quantities we are talking about and the comparison between what you actually have and that item. The way to get 'balanced' is to have very good levels of spell power and haste, good levels of spirit, ok levels of crit, and average levels of intellect. If you have say 30% crit but only 300 haste, then your gearing will favour haste due to the priorities, and any haste items you come across will rank higher than those with crit, so you start shifting towards that balance.

The only reason a warlock would ever have 'unbalanced' stats is because of spell power mainly, and luck. Because a) spell power wins over the others meaning often it wins even though you're swapping haste for crit (a particular 25man dagger comes to mind) and b) sometimes those nice haste/spirit items never drop.

or c) you don't know how to use simcraft.

15+ Year Old Account

People just don't understand how scale factors work - they think its all talent based and your gear has no impact on it. This is false.

For example, there is a specific value of Haste for Destruction warlocks where if you play the class perfectly you will do less dps than someone in the same gear who fucks up a couple times, due to Conflagrate and Chaos Bolt cooldown timings. Under or over this amount fixes this problem.

Your gear matters in your scale factors.

R.I.P. YARG