Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Arcane Mage Advice ... needed!

Quote Originally Posted by DivaMom
    I agree, but that's what my raid leader uses to make judgments, so I'm stuck. And besides, I still cant put out as much damage as a lock, and that really gets me angry.
    Thanks for your advice, tho ... I am working on fixing as much as possible.
    Tell your raid leader to get skada, then dps will line up with damage. He's dumb if he actually goes by dps and not damage done for a spec with no dots and evocation.

Also, locks probably shouldn't beat you on damage. They're actually planning on buffing them because their damage is a bit low.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Wow! I took ya'lls advice, replaced my bracers with Bejeweled Wizard Bracers, tweaked my spec a little, tweaked my gems, downloaded a bunch of stuff (included dpstime and skada) and my dps/damage on the dummy went up by 1K! Can't wait to try it out tonight in 25 ICC. Thanks everyone!!!
    ____________________________________________________________________________

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DivaMom
    Wow! I took ya'lls advice, replaced my bracers with Bejeweled Wizard Bracers, tweaked my spec a little, tweaked my gems, downloaded a bunch of stuff (included dpstime and skada) and my dps/damage on the dummy went up by 1K! Can't wait to try it out tonight in 25 ICC. Thanks everyone!!!
    Late on this thread, but if you have time, go farm ToC5 regular. The Abyssal Rune is much better than that Talisman of Volatile Power garbage. Even Sundial is probably better than that (really, it's an awful trinket). Plus, I feel your haste is low, so the Abyssal Rune will help you out a lot there. In general, you should look for ways to convert some of those crit items into haste items.

Also, your original post mentioned 4.5k dps on target dummies vs. 5k dps in raids. The target dummy number doesn't seem too bad, but the raid number seems low. What fights are you comparing and does your raid have all the necessary caster buffs?

Make sure you have the following in any 25 man raid:

5% Spell Crit Buff version (Moonkin, Elemental Shaman)
    5% Spell Crit Debuff version (Fire/Frost mage, Affliction/Demo lock)
    3% Overall Crit Debuff (Elemental Shaman, Assassination Rogue, Retribution Paladin)

5% Spell Haste Buff (Any shaman, but if you only have one they might be doing Windfury totem instead)
    3% Overall Haste Buff (Moonkin, Retribution Paladin)

13% Spell Damage Buff (Unholy DK, Moonkin, Any warlock)

3% Spell Hit Chance (Moonkin, Shadow Priest)

Spell Damage Buff: Demo Lock, Elemental Shaman, Resto Shaman. The Demo Lock version is the best, followed by the others in order. Enh Shamans can do a version in between Ele and Resto, but won't usually because it hurts their personal DPS.

P.S. How does your Raid Leader calculate damage? I use recount, but I consider the DPS calculation to be worthless. I look at the damage done calculation, which is much more valuable to me. I also upload all data to World of Logs which gives me a much more detailed look at damage and DPS. If your raid leader is smart, he can properly use recount to figure out your DPS.

Mana regen: Either Improved Blessing of Wisdom from a Holy Paladin (preferred) or Improved Mana Spring totem from a Resto Shaman.

Replenishment: You need two of: Retribution Paladin, Survival Hunter, Shadow Priest, Destro Lock (though many don't spec it) and Frost Mage (though frosties are still weak for PvE DPS).

And of course the stat boosters: Divine Spirit, Mark of the Wild and Blessing of Kings (and of course, Arcane Intellect).