Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mage Professions

Hey all, My main is an arcane mage

Im currently 450 in both alchemy/herb.
    Im thinking about dropping herb for tailoring or enchanting or JC
    I have a 450 JC as an alt but the 3 gems are a good choice,

I was wondering:
    Should i just stay herb/alch since this expansion is almost over, and go to another prof in cata? or switch now for the little dps increase and more useful profession.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Mage Professions

for profit and dps increase jc is pretty much best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    for profit and dps increase jc is pretty much best way to go.
    It's also ridiculously expensive to level. I farmed up 95% of my mithril/copper/iron/thorium etc and still ended up dumping ~3000g to hit 450 on my rogue.

JC reqruied patient, i saw my mate gain like 30k gold withinn a week, but yeah so i decided to Go JC ended up earning crap. you really need to be abel to make alot of gems and be good on AH to be abel to earn profits.

Don't forget engeniring, wich is now also a very nice choice. My mage is enchanting / jewelcrafting, and i'm thinking of dropping enchanting for it. But yeah, definitly, go JC, it's an OP choice.

Also keep in mind tailors will be able to edit stats on cloth gear next expansion. It's at least something to keep in mind.

15+ Year Old Account

Tailoring + Enchanting.

Nothing else .. not just because of the SP but also utlity
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

They are all good for mage pve, except the gathering ones.
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

Quote Originally Posted by Morthas
    Tailoring + Enchanting.
    This. Either JC or Enchanting would work, but since you already have a JC i would go with enchanting.

I was one of the ones who had Enchanting/Tailoring, but dropped Tailoring for JC before tailoring got a buff.
    ARMORY LINKS- Mage - Paladin

If you're min maxing because you want a mage as your main raider, then go JC/Tailor or Enchanting/Tailor however if you're just rolling an alt, do whatever.

Mine is Herb/Alch while lvling.. love the long pot duration and small instant heal

I recently was in your same position, as an alchemist/herbalist. I dropped herbalism for tailoring, with no regrets. Plus, selling cloths can be a good source of income, in addition to your JC alt.

JC, Tailor (enchanting was nerfed too much with the disenchant option. JC was nerfed HARD too with the dragon eyes but at least you can still make a load of G with it every content patch/arena season)

The crafting ones are all almost equal.
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Milamber
    The crafting ones are all almost equal.
    This is true, except Tailoring pulls ahead by a bit for DPS casters. Not sure about other casters. Lightweave is very powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxis
    This is true, except Tailoring pulls ahead by a bit for DPS casters. Not sure about other casters. Lightweave is very powerful.
    they nerfed lightweave to be almost equal in power to the +46 spell or whatever the others have
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

10+ Year Old Account

My main is a mage and i have got herb/jc atm.

Dropped tailoring for herb... big mistake XD haha
    Anyway, go for jc + anything really. The looks of those epic jc gems is just so hawt :P

I think that with patch 3.3 the prices of enchanting mats begin to drop so enchanting would be a bit less in popuplar IMO.
    If your a cloth wearing dps I would go for jc/tailoring since tailoring brings nice enchant, and you will be able to itemize your gear better in cataclysm since you are then able to adjust some stats which is awsome!

cheers.

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

I find Engineering awesome for mages, or maybe it's just me. I never really have to take flight paths between porting and all the little doodads that teleport you places [ie. Wormhole Generator] Though I do want to pick up Jewelcrafting I think it would be a bigger increase to dps and bank than 46 SP and tips with enchanting

As a Mage, I would drop herbalism and pick up either JC or Enchanting. Keep the Alch for the bonus spellpower. JC offers the nice spellpower jems and enchanting offers the spellpower enchant on rings. I also hear enchanting is going to get some very nice bonuses in Cata.

Pick whatever is the most fun. They all give about equal bonuses right now, and thats the direction blizzard is moving towards. Im sure in the next expansion with all the overhauls, they will be exactly equal.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DruidFTW
    Pick whatever is the most fun. They all give about equal bonuses right now, and thats the direction blizzard is moving towards. Im sure in the next expansion with all the overhauls, they will be exactly equal.
    I sincerely hope that you do not include the three gathering professions in that "all" considering you level them for free with a hugely decreased time investment in comparison to the manufacturing professions and that you can actually make money without having no clue about how supply and demand and economics work (yes, indeed referring to 10 year-olds or the like). Other than that, I agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.