Thread: Rotface tips?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rotface tips?

I'd like to hear tips on any aspect of this fight that folks may have that you won't find in the basic strategy breakdown.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Rotface tips?

Simple.

Make sure the tank doesnt fail at kiting.
    Make sure the people with the disease dont run to the tank, they need to be near the ooze for it to emerge.

Make sure people dont move from the middle till the ooze explodes.

If they move early, some will prolly die.
    Pally tanks do pretty good as kiters as they can hand of freedom through the slime.

Make sure the ooze doesnt get too close to the raid as its aura can be very nasty and cause a wipe.
    Rinse, repeat, loot.

I've found the cleansing the mutated infection early, (i.e. not waiting until the person gets to the tank). Since the little oozes have about 500k threat on the person, no form of cleave/aoe will pull them off. The benefit to this is that the little slimes don't hit very hard compared to the DoT and if they do take damage from the big ooze aura or slime spray, they won't have the healing debuff.

However, towards the end of the fight you need to be more sparing with how you cleanse or you will start getting multiple big oozes. (This problem only came up in our alt run, because our DPS wasn't as high as in our main run, I think), we still downed him but it got a little chaotic.

Make sure you get a tank that is a Death Knight or a Paladin. They are better at kiting than Druid Tank and Warrior Tanks.

From what I can see bosskillers strategy seems flawed in many ways.

Tank can't gain aggro from the little oozes so whoever the ooze is following needs to 'tank' it until two slimes can be combined.

As far as I know if boss' slimespray doesn't follow its original target. So no reason to have its original target take the damage.

The disease should be cleansed as soon as the infected has gotten away from the raid. The ooze deals negligible damage to single target but the disease ticks for quite a lot.

After the explosion we found it best to have the infected run away from the raid (to the OT if possible). Whatever you do, don't let the ooze combine unless OT is there to pick it up. For us it was one of the causes for wipe. "Tanking" it away from the raid is always a better option.

Also trying to combine 3 or more ooze at the same time results in pretty heavy aoe damage to all the infected and for us usually ended up as a wipe.

Just out of interest (this resembles the Grobbulous fight, so like that), past 30% is the debuff cast more often? We had a few 20% wipes last night, but past 30% its ooze central, and we find ourselves losing one of two players during the chaos. Our DPS is was not mega, we had a lot of casters and could have done with a bit more melee, but I'm wondering whether anything extra happens at30% or the closer you get to enrage?

WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arganaut
    Just out of interest (this resembles the Grobbulous fight, so like that), past 30% is the debuff cast more often? We had a few 20% wipes last night, but past 30% its ooze central, and we find ourselves losing one of two players during the chaos. Our DPS is was not mega, we had a lot of casters and could have done with a bit more melee, but I'm wondering whether anything extra happens at30% or the closer you get to enrage?

Yes, oozes eventually start casting faster.
    Its like Grobbulus in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Auroro
    Make sure you get a tank that is a Death Knight or a Paladin. They are better at kiting than Druid Tank and Warrior Tanks.

What? What do you base that on?

Quote Originally Posted by Asur
    What? What do you base that on?
    Experience?

We too found the kiting tank much more suitable for Pally or DK. Warriors and Druid have a tougher time keeping aggro on slimer without many ranged attacks.. heroic throw can only do so much!

Most important thing is that the people who get the mutated infection run IN FRONT of the kited big ooze, never trying to catch up to it. You can run straight through the boss, too, it doesn't matter. Rotface has no cleave to speak of.

Also, DPS must make sure that their ooze gets combined with the big ooze before the return to the boss, otherwise it'll simply follow them. If two people make this mistake, then they'll combine in the center, and you'll have a big ooze in the center immediately getting aggro on all the melee, which will swiftly lead to a wipe.

Best tanks for the oozes are DKs and paladins, as they have more ranged abilities than warriors or druids. Warriors or druids run the danger of losing aggro to ambient healer aggro, because they can't be using melee abilities - the big oozes hit very very hard.

As for avoiding the slime spray, once he chooses his target and turns towards them, everybody should move to avoid it, because he won't move until he's done spraying and turns back to the tank.

Warrior tanks can kite it fairly well. What you do is when two of the little oozes form into the large one, the warrior can pop shield wall and bash the ooze before the CD wears off, and the warrior should have enough threat on it to be kiteable, without the ooze being lost to healing aggro or cleave aggro (which shouldn't happen to begin with). When Shield block is on CD the warrior could rock out Last Stand, and then rinse and repeat. This is all done with some good stream heals to the kiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Larenitis
    Warrior tanks can kite it fairly well. What you do is when two of the little oozes form into the large one, the warrior can pop shield wall and bash the ooze before the CD wears off, and the warrior should have enough threat on it to be kiteable, without the ooze being lost to healing aggro or cleave aggro (which shouldn't happen to begin with). When Shield block is on CD the warrior could rock out Last Stand, and then rinse and repeat. This is all done with some good stream heals to the kiter.
    Last stand has a 3 minute cooldown, without being hit by mobs you would also be in rage starvation. That and shield block has 1 minute cooldown (which i don't think is fast enough cooldown in 25 mans to handle the accelerated oozes as the encounter goes on)

i haven't played my warrior as prot in a while (lovin fury), so my opinion is that from the sucker trying to heal one

We had another effort of wipes on Rotface last night. We've resorted to popping hero at 30% instead of at the start, stacked 3 melee as it seems to be an easier fight for melee than casters, and still lots of times we hit 30% and just get overun by adds which spawn to quickly. Any advice for the sub 30%?

I read there is still a bug outstanding with the debuffs being applied at the 25 man rate which makes the last 30% difficult as you have too much downtime dealing with adds. If you dps high enough you don't really notice it as much but if you are at ilvl232 then it could be a tricky fight for the mere mortal guild. The 15% HP nerf doesn't really make a difference either way. Not sure if this is still a bug or not, seemed Blue tagged it on a forum post somewhere before.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

Have you tried having someone else kite? We use a Prot warrior / Feral Druid tank setup in our 10 mans who were both finding it difficult to keep aggro from the healers and stay alive.

I'm an elemental Shaman and i could kite it fine. Spamming frost shock once or twice then just running around the room. Making sure i had a decent lead before running through the Ooze flood of course. With furious PvP gear on and a tank flask healers had no trouble keeping me up through everything.

I did it because i was the lowest dps in a movement based fight like that. Our warrior went Dps. I'm sure our hunter, mage, warlock or even enhance shaman could of handled it fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagtheras
    Have you tried having someone else kite? We use a Prot warrior / Feral Druid tank setup in our 10 mans who were both finding it difficult to keep aggro from the healers and stay alive.

I'm an elemental Shaman and i could kite it fine. Spamming frost shock once or twice then just running around the room. Making sure i had a decent lead before running through the Ooze flood of course. With furious PvP gear on and a tank flask healers had no trouble keeping me up through everything.

I did it because i was the lowest dps in a movement based fight like that. Our warrior went Dps. I'm sure our hunter, mage, warlock or even enhance shaman could of handled it fine.
    Movement based fight?
    What movement are you talking about?
    Running to merge oozes?
    Avoiding slime spray?
    Or just strafing out of the explosion?

Really, there isnt much movement in this fight.

Some non conventional wisdom.

DON'T use any of the tank classes to kite the oozes.

Have a hunter go BM, put his pet on the boss, and thave the BM hunter kite the ooze around.

Way better results this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn
    Some non conventional wisdom.

DON'T use any of the tank classes to kite the oozes.

Have a hunter go BM, put his pet on the boss, and thave the BM hunter kite the ooze around.

Way better results this way.
    not all tanks have the experiance/gear to swap to DPS and put out the numbers needed. and not all guilds like to sit people just to down a boss when they dont have to. but if your guild does or has tanks that can respec and pull 8-9k then go for it i guess.

or get better hunters. i know i dont want to stop any of mine from DPSing the boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by irismoon
    I'd like to hear tips on any aspect of this fight that folks may have that you won't find in the basic strategy breakdown.

Thanks in advance!
    Read this: http://www.bosskillers.com/cgi-bin/b...e&guide_id=735

Quote Originally Posted by Ango
    This strategy is not reliable, it assumes OT can pick up agrro on small slimes, which is false.

Thank you everyone for the input. I have Stratfu, Bosskillers, wowhead, wowwiki etc all bookmarked, I research extensively. But I have found there is a lot of good tips players get from experience that never make it into a strategy guide, hence this thread!

We will try it with a Paladin tanking the ooze and see how it goes next time. I also think people were bringing the little ooze to the OT instead of the big ooze which is another nono.

Feel free to post moar tips xD