Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Festergut and DK tanks

Hey All,

I have been working with my guild to down Festergut 25 man being the 2nd tank. I am taunting at around the tail end of the 2nd inhale and using UA right away, then using IBF once the 3rd inhale comes up... However it wears off near the end of the 3rd inhale and I get exploded.

I went frost purely for this fight as I figured it would be much better and mitigating dmg then Blood would be. Blood is my main spec for tanking and I love it, however I just don't think it can cut it on Fester as he hits like a bus.

Anyone tried it?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Festergut and DK tanks

2 words. External Cooldowns. Just get a PS/GS/HoSac when your IBF runs out. It'll last till the stacks reset.

You definately need external CDs, this is not a good fight for a DK tank at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blightrose
    You definately need external CDs, this is not a good fight for a DK tank at all.
    because of...?

Or, if you explode at the very end of your CD, go Blood en take Vampiric Blood +glyph. That will give you another 5 seconds of CD.

Or don't CD untill the 3rd stack, if your healers can manage.

Or get an external CD

About Frost or Blood, Blood has more HP (and the better CD) which actually helps on these hard hitting bosses. I'd just try to stick with Blood.
    Join Amicus, 10man progression raiding, but on a respectable 2day schedule!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Captn
    Channel your army of the dead in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapuh
    because of...?
    Because the fact is , DK is the only one without an absorb or block feature.

A Warrior or paladin taking 10K blocks off? sure
    a Druid absorbing 5K? not bad...
    A DK? Taking 100% dmg...

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzlebeard
    Or, if you explode at the very end of your CD, go Blood en take Vampiric Blood +glyph. That will give you another 5 seconds of CD.

Or don't CD untill the 3rd stack, if your healers can manage.

Or get an external CD

About Frost or Blood, Blood has more HP (and the better CD) which actually helps on these hard hitting bosses. I'd just try to stick with Blood.
    I am not so sure. Blood I for sure have lots more HP but no UA and a shorter IBF. IMO I think I would get crushed keeping in mind this is 25 man. However I have not tried blood for this, I suppose I could.

Quote Originally Posted by DesT.
    2 words. External Cooldowns. Just get a PS/GS/HoSac when your IBF runs out. It'll last till the stacks reset.
    What does GS stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by blakkout
    What does GS stand for?
    Guardian Spirit (Priest)
    Thank's for the honey, father bear.
    Nom Nom nom!

Quote Originally Posted by Craigadiddle
    A DK? Taking 100% dmg...
    I currently have more armour than a bear, reach armour cap on CD, and as a DK, we have far better use of CDs than anyone else.

From the moment you taunt off your partner (tank), you will be entering last inhale before he exhales approx 90 secs later. So lets see:

Taunt > UA >
    20 secs > IBF >
    21 secs > trinket >
    20 secs > potion (Indestructible) + AotD channel >
    6 secs > UA >
    20 secs > Sack a ghoul.
    After this, he'd have exhaled and your back to ezmode.

Keep Blood Runes on cooldown for 5% constant DR, which is why I quoted the above. And thats before counting in the base DR that we have from Frost Presence, and as Frost we also attain an increased 3% miss chance against us and an additional amount of passive DR from Improved Frost Presence.

Regarding External CDs, these apply to ANY tank tanking Festergut. If healers don't use Ext. CDs, they're poor at predicting incoming high damage, which is this fight, is pretty god damn obvious.
    Dark Intent
    Buff Mage? I think not.
    "I made the comment "Melee Caster" because you will do more damage as a Demonology Warlock by standing in Melee range..."
    -Gherkin, US Rexxar.
    Proud Melee Caster!

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    Again, for added emphasis - if your external CD falls over dead before you need them.

I had the same problem on my second run this week while blood taking it. However my guild mate tanked it as Unholy and had no problems at all.

So, Bone Shields = 20 less dmg. Plus, IBF = 20% less dmg.

Just in case it wears off.. ask for external cooldowns like PS.

I tanked it as unholy as well but got absolutely smashed, boneshield is bordering on useless because he attacks so damn fast. Its all RNG ofcourse whether you get 10 straight hits without any dodges or parries.

I have nowhere near the armor of a bear so I take alot more damage in this fight than our druid or paladins do, the warrior seems to be about on par with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigadiddle
    Because the fact is , DK is the only one without an absorb or block feature.

A Warrior or paladin taking 10K blocks off? sure
    a Druid absorbing 5K? not bad...
    A DK? Taking 100% dmg...
    10k blocks? Not happening, unless you're using your block kit you tank HM anub adds with (you'll probabl;y die if you try). In which case it'll only be only with critical blocks. Average block would be more towards the 3k, and 6k with critical block.

Quote Originally Posted by Captn
    Channel your army of the dead in the end.
    That actually worked just fine for me >_>

Vampiric Blood, Icebound Fortitude, Army of the Dead, Profit

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphus
    That actually worked just fine for me >_>

Vampiric Blood, Icebound Fortitude, Army of the Dead, Profit
    So you tank in blood using VB for last portion of 2nd inhale and IBF + channel army for 3rd inhale?

It seems like armor is more effective then total health however tanking fester in blood totally ruins that theory!

Quote Originally Posted by blakkout
    So you tank in blood using VB for last portion of 2nd inhale and IBF + channel army for 3rd inhale?

It seems like armor is more effective then total health however tanking fester in blood totally ruins that theory!
    The math behind it is making your character able to live one hit longer.

3-Inhale Festergut can and will rock any tanks world if they aren't ready to handle it, so for the first 10 seconds I pop Vampiric Blood + Juggernaut's Vitality + Corroded Skeleton key (3200 can mean life or death in a situation like this) and in conjunction, when I pop vampiric blood, to maximize the utility of it we also popped Bloodlust at that time to make sure our healer got a benefit on it as well as the dps

10 seconds I'm taking 35% more healing (and I have the extra health to survive an extra hit, around 69k with full buffs + vampiric/juggernaut)

Then 12 seconds with Icebound Fortitude up

Then 5 seconds channeling Army of the Dead

Then we had the Pally healer use Hand of Sacrifice and Bubble himself and he remained spamming heals on me.

Basically those factors and a little luck, thats how it broke down as a Blood DK tanking the third inhale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hSMpV49iM4

I am the 2nd tank. You need cooldowns during his third inhale. I didn't use any external cooldowns, but as you saw I got pretty close to dying a couple times.

Same thing with the warrior, no external CD's and came close to dying. Next week we'll prolly go though CD's during the 3rd inhale until exhale.

EDIT: I was blood.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

with 20% dodge reduction due to ICC radiance, I don't see how tanking this as Unholy would be a smart decision compared to the alternatives.