Thread: DK Tanking WTF

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DK Tanking WTF

okay i have been a DK tank for a while now and then im going in raids/HC groups i get wispered with "hey why do u have a dk they sucks" or something like that

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...edar&n=Kolding

please if anyone have some advice to me Write it here under..

Deleted

Re: DK Tanking WTF

What? I have absolutely no idea what it is you're trying to say. Randomly sticking half finished sentences together is not the way to make a coherent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Linuilas
    What? I have absolutely no idea what it is you're trying to say. Randomly sticking half finished sentences together is not the way to make a coherent post.
    Well im sry im not so good at this english but i will try to change some thing so it might make more sense

15+ Year Old Account

After clicking your armory I immediatly had to thinnk of this thread
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/raids-du...k-frost-tanks/

BTT: I don't know what your problem is...and the way you wrote your post doesn't really make me want to help you.

Either tell us what your exact problem is ("Ever1 sez i suckz" is NOT accurate info)
    Or try reading the 35621342 posts about DK tanking out there. If the post tells us what your problem is AND if it's written in an eligbile way...we will help you.

Edit: Since you edited your post you may think away my words about your writing.

But we still don't know what your problem is. If everything is going fine and you have people bitching at you...well we can't help you with that. There simply are bitches out there.

Edit2: After re-rereading your post I think what I said under my first edit might be the thing concerning you. People simply say DK tanks suck. In heroics that might be more or less true (at leasst when compoared to High Blockrating-Palas and Warriors) But we can still tank everything just fine. If you're a tank you will mostly get bitched at for everything that goes wrong. You'll just have to deal with that.

10+ Year Old Account

Your spec needs to be tweaked just a bit. 10/54/7 is a decent spec. Read: http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t40739-d..._free_stamina/

Quote Originally Posted by kolding
    okay i have been a DK tank for a while now and then im going in raids/HC groups i get wispered with "hey why do u have a dk they sucks" or something like that
    1 - Well, yeah, everyone will always have something negative to say about everyone else.
    2 - About your spec: ever considered going Blood instead or something? I'm going to go with the others on this one - do you have any specific question?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by kolding
    They probably say "Stop dual wielding tanking weapons, it sucks."

Its quite simple really.. Stop gemming Parry Gems.. thats exactly why you suck :

either get slow/slow weapons .. or go blood and use a 2h :P

well can u come with a specc i should go for instead of what i have now? i got a 2h wep in bank 232 Ilvl if u want me away from DW

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Gazgul
    either get slow/slow weapons .. or go blood and use a 2h :P
    You can pretty much do it with slow MH/fast OH, you only lose about 5 to 10% threat, while with fast/fast, you lose at least 15, if not 20%.

Couple things i would suggest, is either switching to a 2h frost spec or 2h blood spec, 2h is really the way to go, also you are way too low on expertise, you need to be at the dodge cap minimum which is 26. Also no Parry gems, parry diminishes way before dodge so you dont get nearly as much parry out pf 10 parry as you get dodge from 10 dodge.

15+ Year Old Account

1) First off ignore these people... Frost Tanking is almost more complicated but more simple then everyone makes it sound...

2) YOU should be using DPS weapons... Slow weapons... with the addition of Nuerbian Carpace you should not have tanking weapons what so ever and you are 37 over Def Cap. I suggest getting the Black Icicle mace from H-HoR (lich king run) or the Ghoulslicer sword from Normal PoS. The Nighttime axe from H-FoS is nice until you can get it but for Frost ArP is useless unless you have over 60%. If when removing Nuerbian Carpace from your weapons if you aren't Def Cap One should be good enough... I currently Use Rune of the Fallen Crusader on my MH and Nuerbian Carpace on my OH. However you can get away using Fallen Crusader MH and Razorice on OH if you are Def Cap with out the Nuerbian Carpace.

3) You should never Gem for Parry or Dodge... You should be Gemming for Pure Str, Str/Stam, or Pure Stam. Of course trying to have 32 Exp and 280 hit is nice but not required like Blood Tanking. Frost is mainly Spell Dmg so Spell Hit is good enough and since you dont need exp to hit a boss with a spell... (2% from talents not included in the count)

4) Ignore EJ Forums... the have no clue about Frost Tanking... I don't use the normal rotation for frost tanking never have and never will... I hold better aggro and do higher dmg then most people expect to see out of a DK... In order to help with my Tanking Rotation I use Howling Blast Glyph, Obliterate, Frost Strike. I use a Priority Rotation. First make sure all your moves have runic Strike Macroed to them so its one less button you have to press. The Priority Rotation i use is....

Howling Blast (to apply frost fever), Oblit, <Howling Blast on Rime Proc>, Blood Strike, Blood Strike, <Frost Strike Dump> Howling Blast, Oblit, <Howling Blade on Rime Proc>, Oblit, <Howling Blast on Rime Proc>

Never use Plague Strike, Icy Touch or even death strike... you spec also needs work. It is a crappy spec that people assume is decent since it worked somewhat for 2handers.

5) use this spec... its focus is aoe dmg with good shadow and frost dmg for single target as well (and before anyone tries to flame it I've tanked all of ToC with this spec never once having anyone pull aggro off me and I was in the top 5 in DPS as a Tank and the guild I am in has awesome DPS so its not that they sucked)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc....00000000000000
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Was that uninformative and anticlimactic enough? .

Not everybody has to do slow/slow weapons... you can do good threat with slow/fast. I use heroic Ardent Guard (1.5s) in my offhand and my threat is just fine. Consider it a benefit of dual-wield tanking that you can equip a tanking weapon in your offhand.

The only threat you need to do is sufficient threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Contion_BB
    [...] The Nighttime axe from H-FoS is nice until you can get it but for Frost ArP is useless unless you have over 60%.
    I love when people make up percentages. It's awesome really. >.>

4) Ignore EJ Forums... the have no clue about Frost Tanking... I don't use the normal rotation for frost tanking never have and never will... I hold better aggro and do higher dmg then most people expect to see out of a
    DK...
    In order to help with my Tanking Rotation I use Howling Blast Glyph, Obliterate, Frost Strike. I use a
    Priority Rotation. First make sure all your moves have runic Strike Macroed to them so its one less button you have to press. The Priority Rotation i use is....

Howling Blast (to apply frost fever), Oblit, <Howling Blast on Rime Proc>, Blood Strike, Blood Strike, <Frost Strike Dump> Howling Blast, Oblit, <Howling Blade on Rime Proc>, Oblit, <Howling Blast on Rime Proc>

Never use Plague Strike, Icy Touch or even death strike... you spec also needs work. It is a crappy spec that people assume is decent since it worked somewhat for 2handers.
    I'm pretty sure EJ is almost spot on with what they wrote. Also single disease rotations have been dead since Ulduar given that they changed how Obli works now on a 12.5% increase per disease. And out of curiosity, what TPS you are pulling?

5) use this spec... its focus is aoe dmg with good shadow and frost dmg for single target as well (and before anyone tries to flame it I've tanked all of ToC with this spec never once having anyone pull aggro off me and I was in the top 5 in DPS as a Tank and the guild I am in has awesome DPS so its not that they sucked)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc....00000000000000
    Why concern yourself with highlighting shadow damage if you stress not using Plague Strike?
    Dark Intent
    Buff Mage? I think not.
    "I made the comment "Melee Caster" because you will do more damage as a Demonology Warlock by standing in Melee range..."
    -Gherkin, US Rexxar.
    Proud Melee Caster!

10+ Year Old Account

3) You should never Gem for Parry or Dodge... You should be Gemming for Pure Str, Str/Stam, or Pure Stam. Of course trying to have 32 Exp and 280 hit is nice but not required like Blood Tanking. Frost is mainly Spell Dmg so Spell Hit is good enough and since you dont need exp to hit a boss with a spell... (2% from talents not included in the count)
    That's a very, very bad advice.

First of all, the majority of frost's damage and threat will come from... *drumroll* melee abilities: Obliterate, Rune Strike, and white hits. Two of those, along with Frost Strike, which is also a big threat & damage contributor, can be dodged and parried.

Second, "spell his is good enough" ? You say that like it's easier to get the spell cap than the melee special (which is not the case). Melee special cap is enough, spell hit cap is a nice boon, but absolutely not required.

You do want expertise and hit capped, if you want to do good threat. And you want expertise to minimize parries aswell (which aren't too significant, but better safe than sorry).

4) Ignore EJ Forums... the have no clue about Frost Tanking... I don't use the normal rotation for frost tanking never have and never will... I hold better aggro and do higher dmg then most people expect to see out of a DK... In order to help with my Tanking Rotation I use Howling Blast Glyph, Obliterate, Frost Strike. I use a Priority Rotation. First make sure all your moves have runic Strike Macroed to them so its one less button you have to press. The Priority Rotation i use is....
    You just proved you haven't done your homework. EJ > You. Single disease is dead. It's dead easy to pull it off, you can make it work, but you can do much much better with double disease.

Grab the glyphs & talents from EJ's DW tank thread: that's proven to work, and is up to date.

Seems to me that DK's generally get looked down on...Either because we start at level 55 (how is that our fault, again?) or because some DK's don't seem to know the class very well.. So when they see you, their first reaction is to tell you you suck.

Judging from your Armory, though, I'd say you don't suck. You're def capped, you have a fair amount of Health Points and avoidance and your spec is not bad. (I have to say I recently gave DW tanking a try and wasn't very happy with it, so switched back to 2H, but if it works for you. )

So definitely your gear/stats don't lack...
    It's a question of prejudice, if you ask me.
    Just keep your chin up, don't pay attention to the people judging you, make sure you're doing a good job tanking, and maybe in time people will disrespect us a bit less. (;
    ... we -are- death knights though, maybe we're bound to get a little heat from the real players the same way we do in the Lore! (:

10+ Year Old Account

We're the "red-headed stepchildren" of the tanking community - constantly looked down on as different and freakish. Yet we can hang and hold our own just as well as any other tank class - some fights we do better on, others we don't. That's the nature of the game of tanking, flat out. What we lack in block value and some avoidance-type stats we make up for in clever use of spec related cooldowns.

I've been DK tanking since March 2009 (25 man raiding until a few months ago and 10 man the entire time) and have enough respect within my own guild and other friends on my server. They think nothing less of the fact I'm a DK tank than if I was some other class.

Monsem - Shadow Priest / Halimath - Prot Paladin / Groundchuk - Elemental Shaman
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Death
    Its quite simple really.. Stop gemming Parry Gems.. thats exactly why you suck :

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

I'm not going to wade into the spec discussion, but here's my $.02:

Stop putting cheap gems in good pieces.

Do the weekly WG quests and turn in the honor, stone keeper shards and medals for gems if you're hard up for cash. But it makes me kind of sick to see a BiS cloak unenchanted with a blue-quality gem in it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.