Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Buying a new computer

So I was thinking about purchasing this computer and use it as my new gaming computer to replace my laptop. It has 2 free RAM slots which I was going to drop about 4 more gigs into but other than that can you see anyway that this computer can be improved. I also plan on using for other games on max setting and not just WoW.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229137

General Spec
    Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965(3.4GHz)
    Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
    Cache Per Processor 4 x 512KB L2 Cache
    Memory 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333
    Hard Drive 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
    Optical Drive 1 24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB PCI Express Video Card
    Power Supply 700W
    Motherboard Chipset AMD 770
    CPU Type Phenom II X4
    CPU Speed 965(3.4GHz)
    L2 Cache Per CPU 4 x 512KB
    L3 Cache Per CPU 6MB
    CPU Socket Type AM3
    CPU Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Buying a new computer

mmh, i wouldn't buy it... but hey, that's just me... the only thing i see there that is actually good is the GFX card.

what are the "other games on max setting" you are thinking of?

AMD? realy? hell, those guys should leave the processors for intel and only continue with the ATI GFXs.... don't think they've been any good on CPU's since dual cores came out. I would get an i7, even the lowest i7 is far better than the AMD Phenom II X4 965, even the i5 750 is better.... is it really that cheaper that it makes it worth it?

Using an i7 for example you could do tri-channel memory ddr3, like 3x2gb and it performes way better, not really sure about that AMD.

Hard drive (for better performance) you could do, instead of 1TB, use 2x 500GB raid 0

My main advice is building the PC yourself and not buy these "bundles", if you don't know mutch about computers... well, that's what we are here for, here and in many other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbysteelz
    I7 or gtfo imo

100% Agree lol.
    I was checking out a couple computers yesterday. My budget was around $1000 dollars. Seeing all their specs the I7 Comp. Totally won.To me. It was out of stock yesterday so I gotta wait untill the 17th...

get a i7 laptop.. IMO.. which will come with a good enugh gfx card with out even researching.. (esp if u only want to play blizzard/valve games..)

Quote Originally Posted by M4xC4v413r4
    mmh, i wouldn't buy it... but hey, that's just me... the only thing i see there that is actually good is the GFX card.

what are the "other games on max setting" you are thinking of?

AMD? realy? hell, those guys should leave the processors for intel and only continue with the ATI GFXs.... don't think they've been any good on CPU's since dual cores came out. I would get an i7, even the lowest i7 is far better than the AMD Phenom II X4 965, even the i5 750 is better.... is it really that cheaper that it makes it worth it?

Using an i7 for example you could do tri-channel memory ddr3, like 3x2gb and it performes way better, not really sure about that AMD.

Hard drive (for better performance) you could do, instead of 1TB, use 2x 500GB raid 0

My main advice is building the PC yourself and not buy these "bundles", if you don't know mutch about computers... well, that's what we are here for, here and in many other forums.
    I must agree for some parts. This isn't a bad PC, at all. It will easily run WoW at ultra settings and not lag in Lagaran. So yeah, it really does deppend on what you plan to play elsewise WoW(hint: It's a low graphic game).
    But Ebey, don't be affraid of AMD. They do make good cores. The thing is just that Intel's i7 core basicly blew everything else off the board for what was "good". The i7 core is awesome. I run it myself, and like OP said: 3x2GB RAM. And it's way ahead of enough.

My advice would be: Don't buy the slacky bundle-pack. It's (most of the time) more expensive that throwing in the parts yourself. And in most cases you can get a way better PC by building it yourself for the same amount of money.

You're welcome to ask me out about it, I think I know a thing or two about throwing it down.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/

Much better forum for computer stuff.

these guys are (mosty) right. Except the guy who says i7 laptop... don't buy a laptop for gaming.

AMD just doesn't measure up to intel right now, and while you do have a nice vid card, your proc will bottleneck you in a lot of situations (ESPECIALLY WoW)... The throughput for AMD just isn't there.

you do NOT need more than 4GB of RAM right now... guaranteed. Only reasons for running more than 4GB is when running VM's or compiling code.

Run a 250GB windows drive +250 GB Games drive + 500GB files drive. You'll thank me later.

Keep the video card as for the current generation ATI > NVidia for the money.

Just my $.02

So what I got is go for the i7 (around 3ghz) and keep the graphics card. 4-6 gigs of RAM. What kind of motherboard would you all suggest? Also, from what I've seen opening up my old desktop before it was garbage, it looks rather simple to put together a computer. Thanks for the quick replies.

10+ Year Old Account

Just wanted to add that... on the memory part, i was not saying you should get 6 GB's cuz you need it, as most said, you dont need any more than 4gb for anything i believe, i only said the "3x2gb" because of the triple-channel i was talking about.

oh, and btw, if you aren't really in a hurry, February/March are the "months of new technology".... usually new technologies or new models of current technologies, come out during that time, so, everything else gets cheaper.

I've ordered a new computer too, but I went for:

CPU: Intel i7 socket 1366
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 (3x 2GB)
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce 275GTX with room for SLI.

Hopefully that'll last a while.
    "Like it's MY fault some BIG dragon knocked me into a cave full of LITTLE dragons!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
    The community didn't go down the shitter because of the LFG system, the LFG system just introduced you to the shitty community in a horribly effective way.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ebey
    So what I got is go for the i7 (around 3ghz) and keep the graphics card. 4-6 gigs of RAM. What kind of motherboard would you all suggest? Also, from what I've seen opening up my old desktop before it was garbage, it looks rather simple to put together a computer. Thanks for the quick replies.
    mmh, i'm not really into the motherboards that are out these days.... one thing i would try is to have 2 pci express 16x (it's still 16 right? lol). why? well, in some years, when you go "these new games are starting to get slower" you can just buy another gfx card, equal to the one you already have (by that time, you'll probably get it super cheap), and you use them both and get way better performance...

Well. When I bought my PC there wasn't that many motherboards for the i7 (I bought it when it was BRAND new). But ATM I would defenitly go with a P6T Deluxe from ASUS as motherboard. It's show by benchmarks to still be one of the best motherboards for the i7 core.

And is most people in the thread said, go with ATI GFX. The 4900 HD series is a GREAT choice for the price. It's very cheap, so buy 2 x 49xx HD cards and run Xfire. <- This you will thank me for till you choose to get a new PC.

Nvidia is all about the money for the time being.

Sell the name
    Make bad effecient GFX cards
    ??? ??? ???
    PROFIT!
    ^This sucks. Go with ATI.

^-----this-----^ is all opinion

some people live and die by their perception of brand names. tbh this is not the place to get informed advice on components or system builds. no doubt some of these people are actually knowledgeable, but giving equal consideration to each comment is not good research. you should go to the link posted above and even when looking through there take it in with a grain of salt.

personally, im an amd/ati fan. don't take what i am saying as a "i hate intel" rant but just know that to non-semiconducter engineers its more about perception and less about facts. there are relatively few who understand the semiconducter technologies and can skim through the technical specs and benchmarks and actually know what it all means without thinking "dur this number is bigger than that number so its a better". the nature of the secretive highly protected semiconducter business involves keeping most people in the dark on what is actually happening inside them in an effort to maintain market superiority.

intel vs. amd has been an interesting spectacle as it unfolds. fyi there is a pending anti-trust lawsuit against intel for "unfair practices in the processor market" being pursued by amd. im not an expert on the issue but it seems as though intel has taken a page from microsofts book in that it uses its majority market share to bully vendors and manufacturers into submission. i suggest we use our buying power to turn the tables on this situation. its bad for the market and the advancement of the field of technology to have just one (or even two) manufacturers and its even worse to allow the smaller to get snubbed by illegal business practice from the larger. the competition between intel and amd has already been quite productive in driving tthe technology race.

I think you should provide more information on which other games you want to max out. Unless it is a few certain games, my honest opinion would be to scrap getting a quad core go for a fast Intel dual core and overclock it a bit with a nice heatsink and fan. For the most part, the i7 is just a waste of money at this point unless you do a significant amount of work that actually utilizes four cores. When computer games are all using four cores instead of just two, the price of quad core processors will likely be WAY cheaper than it is now. Whether you get a dual core or quad core now I think should depend on what games and programs you use. Find out it they use four cores or not.

AMD used to be THE processor to buy for gaming. Unfortunately, it's not so much that way anymore. Intel tends to make processors with higher performance now. AMD provides awesome budget CPUs but Intel is generally the way to go for gaming now days. Not to say that an AMD processor will not work though; I have an AMD Kuma dual core 2.7 ghz I bought for $55 that runs WoW just fine along with my 256 MB 8800GT video card and 4 GB of ram. I run all full settings except shadow detail (man that setting pwns computers) and I get 40+ fps in most areas except Dalaran and usually 30+ in raids unless there is a lot of AOE. If you want a good deal on a processor AMD is the way to go in my opinion. If you simply want to max settings/fps then you will probably want an Intel.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

There is a link to a chart of CPU performance. This is not exactly fact, as it is not based on all types of tests, but it gives you a general idea how the processors perform in relation to each other. If you have any questions regarding specific processors, and also video cards, there is a great website that often does reviews of standard clock AND overclocked performance.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/

If you go there and type in a specific video card or cpu, you can often find full scale reviews of the product along with overclocking tests. They do not have all pieces, but they do have quite a bit. Peruse that site a bit. The fact that you're asking questions on a forum leads me to believe you want to make an informed decision, so I don't think you'll mind the resources :P

Good luck in your quest for a new computer! Wish I could get one right now!

my modest opinion is that intel does have the bleeding edge technology right now in their TOP end i7. this does not mean intel>amd. it means intel can charge ridiculously more for these processors and people will actually pay it because there is no competition in this bracket. so if you want the bleeding edge get the best i7 and pay 75% more than the processor will be worth in 6-12 months.

if you want an advanced processor which promises longterm compatiblity at a non-advanced price then an amd phenom II is for you. these are quality processors that allow for highly customizeable applications. amd has been know to be a better VALUE per ghz than intel.

Quote Originally Posted by goetz401
    my modest opinion is that intel does have the bleeding edge technology right now in their TOP end i7. this does not mean intel>amd. it means intel can charge ridiculously more for these processors and people will actually pay it because there is no competition in this bracket. so if you want the bleeding edge get the best i7 and pay 75% more than the processor will be worth in 6-12 months.

if you want an advanced processor which promises longterm compatiblity at a non-advanced price then an amd phenom II is for you. these are quality processors that allow for highly customizeable applications. amd has been know to be a better VALUE per ghz than intel.
    This is so true speaking.
    AMD does make better cores for less costs. I'm not a fan of either. Intel just have the edge atm. And it's specially good if you're a creative person. Like say, do music, photoshop etc. etc. But for gaming ONLY: Go AMD. It IS cheaper, it doesn't put out quite the same speed and ghz as the top intel cores, but it has great value. IMO I wouldn't even bother touching an Intel core (Specially not the i7 for god sake) if you just want to play on your computer. Honestly, that's just plain stupid. (No pun intended)

i have a q6600 intel quad overclocked to 3.6 gigs it works fine and it is slower than the amd quad he posted. my gpu is also a gtx 260 and it works fine and it gets murdered by his gpu. i play all my games on a 26inch monitor all maxed out usually with no issues at all.

also for all you i7 fans yes it is the fastest out but in most games the amd is right on its ass in benchmarks for games. plus it cost alot less money to make an amd setup than the i7 with the price of the motherboard and the ram.

also the anti trust lawsuit was dropped by amd for 1.25 billion dollars and the right for global foundries to get the license to keep making x86 chips and some other provisions that i will not go into.

plus the new westmere chips which are 32nm are coming out soon, the i7s are 45 nm. so you might want to wait. plus fermi from nvidia is also suppose to be great but it will cost an arm and a leg more than likely and i hate nvidias business practices as of late with all the renaming of there products.

the phenom will run everything you want and with the system you have you better play at more than 1280x 1024 or else you are a fuckin tard because what you listed is overkill. the system you listed needs 1650 and up res to be worth it. prefer 1920x1080 or 1200 res to really shine. and at that res it is more of a gpu bottleneck than a cpu bottleneck. and if you know anything about computers you cannot argue with that.

plus amd holds the record for 3dmark over the i7 right now also because it has overclocked higher so the phenom is not a dud.

10+ Year Old Account

lol, amd is close to intel in game benchmarks? plz link me that cuz i say it's bs

and about that "amd holds the record for 3dmark over the i7 right now also because it has overclocked higher".... that doesn't mean sh*t man.... it really doesn't... ye, sure you can get it to do a better benchmark with an overclock so high it only runs for a couple of hours and it has to have Nitrogen cooling for it all the way.... lol, this guy isn't gonna cool his cpu with nitrogen, he's probably going for the plain simple air cooling like most ppl

Thanks for all the input guys. For who was asking I'm tired of playing all my games I get at like 600x400 resolution or the game not working all together. I'm going to want to play games like Crysis, Left 4 Dead 2, WoW, Modern Warfare 2. I've been browsing for a few hours now and I think I have a decent set-up.

P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard
    i7 920 2.66Ghz Processor
    Radeon HD 5870 1GB Graphics Card
    1TB 7200rpm 3Gb/s Hard Drive
    24x CD/DVD SATA Drive
    650W Power Supply
    Mid-Tower

Edit: Anything I am missing here? First time building a Computer. Thanks.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about PC components and I'm actually building a new system myself atm. I'll toss you a few bits of info I've picked up recently.

1. Unless you're running a 64-bit OS your system cannot use more than 4 GB of RAM....and even if you are you will N E V E R use more than 6 GB if you aren't running CAD programs or rather intensive video rendering/editing software....or you're one of those fools who likes to run every program on your PC at the same time and then complain when it kills performance.

2. Intel vs. AMD While I don't specifically lean towards either, Intel's i5/i7 series do have the edge atm...both in performace, as well as motherboards compatible for them that are starting to incorporate some of the new architecture/technology coming out in the near future. ie. SATA 6GB and USB 3.0. A nice i5 is around the same price as the highest AMD processors and handily beats them in performance. The i7's are quite a bit more expensive...but their performance is ridiculous, seriously.

3. ATI vs. Nvidia This battle has been a great one and is constantly supplying us with new technologies and rapidly dropping prices on the best-card-available-6-months-ago cards. At the moment ATI has the clear edge with the HD5800/HD5900 series.

4. Completely agree with Xavias08. For storage drives don't go bigger than 500GB. Also, get yourself the fastest sub-300GB HDD you can afford for your OS/boot drive. WD Velociraptors are great...SSD's are even better. OCZ makes some nice 16-32GB solid-states atm that aren't too pricy(relative to what SSD's go for) and have decent lifespans....perfect for an Operating System/Boot drive.

Basically, when building a new system you need to answer 2 main questions first;

1. What do I want this system to be able to do?
    2. How long do I want this system to be able to do what I want it to do?

Then you start reading every review site, every PC builders' forum and talking to everyone you know who's built a PC themselves and you start getting an idea of what you'll want to do from there.

Have fun

I am Druid - Play Free Online Games