Thread: Prot + SoC

Prot + SoC

I've honestly ignored SoC since they changed it into the cleave (didnt even know it cleaved til recently), as ive been using SoV for tanking since the Wrath talents in BC.

So how does SoC work exactly, it says for single target strikes. So do auto-swings proc the cleave? does HotR? Its kind of 3(4) single target attacks in one. Does it proc from the shield slam ability?

Is it at all reliable or in anyway useful for prot tanking (even if its for aoe dps/threat occasionally) or is SoV always more efficient?

One bonus i can see right now is for quickly killed groups where sov might not even stack over 3.
    Tank Extraordinaire

Re: Prot + SoC

I've seen one paladin using SoComm for tanking. His group dps was almost as good as mine but his single target dps was a lot worse.

I dont think HoR will get you a chain procc on 12 targets since its a spell.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

It does proc from single target hits, I don't think HotR procs it multiple times, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Usually able to get ~4k DPS on a 4 mob trash pack, with a proper amount of threat too. For bosses Vengeance is still the seal of choice IMO (more damage), though SoC will work too, albeit less threat and damage.
    inb4 "<insert instance> was merely a setback!"

SoC is insane for trash and heroics.

And it only procs from SINGLE, HotR is multiple... so only auto, shield,judge...
    Once upon a midnight dreary
    While i pron surfed, weak and weary
    Over many a site of ' hot xxx galore'.
    "'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"
    Quoth the server, 404.

killing a new raid boss is like having multiple orgasms only better.

there was a good discussion on this @maintankadin forums. in short:

SoCorruption > SoCommand if cycling targets and mobs are up for over 14sec

SoCommand is good if your mobs die in 14seconds or your fail at tab targeting

Deleted

Seal of Command is amazing for tanking heroics.

http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...&n=Dejav%C3%BA

My mainspec is retribution, but I always queue random heroics as a tank because of instant queues. My offspec consists of mostly 232 block gear with 258 shield and AnubHC weapon (Orgrims deflector).

I use Strenght Libram and 2 DPS trinkets (death's choice and greatness) when I am tanking, and I kid you not, with a decent group setup (deathknight and another paladin or warrior) for Horn, shout and kings, I can do 6-8k dps on a lot of pulls in heroic dungeons using seal of command

I usually always finish as top dps with 4k+ for the entire dungeon and my threat is also through the roof.

For bosses you can switch so SoCorr for slightly higher single target dps, but it doesn't matter all that much.

TLDR; pick up Seal of command in your prot spec, its pretty godly.

Prot and soc is only worth it for trash, but socorr get nearly the same job done. If you want to tank with comand than tank ret.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    Prot and soc is only worth it for trash, but socorr get nearly the same job done. If you want to tank with comand than tank ret.
    Wrong. SoC is far superior in 5man dungeons for prot.

I use SoCommand in heroics I find it alot easier to tank I also change to SoCorruption on bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mew
    Wrong. SoC is far superior in 5man dungeons for prot.
    Wrong. If you have a competent healer and t9 ret gear it is far superior to tank 5 man dungeons.

Why waste a talent point in your prot spec for heroics?
    Pondering returning.

It's not a wasted points. As a paladin you will often fill a support role in encounters that require it, and Seal of Command is situationally awesome. Personally I always use Seal of Command on Anub25 Heroic. Doing trash will be easier and thus faster.

Fights in ICC where its relevant:
    - ALL trash
    - Lady Deathwhisper (add tanking till p2)
    - Gunship battle (home ship)
    There is some future fights as well in ICC that are not just single target.

If threat is not your issue, you need to learn to love this seal. Less focus needed on threat = more focus left to correct mistakes by you or others.

Glyphed hor and corr are better threat And damage on anub. On deathwisper normalmode, sure. Adds are alive for maybe 20 seconds. Heroic will be another story.
    Pondering returning.

Its not that black white.

Depending on your guilds dpsers, SoC IS worth it on Anub. Vengeance/Corruption just doesnt give me the snap aggro needed for our dps. Cleaving Warrior, wellgeared locks and fire bombing mages have the tendency to spike threat on one of your adds, forcing you to taunt one. Command give me instant aggro on both my mob, especially during the 2 seconds from pickup to aoe start, so that our dps can start nuking straight aways.
    Gonna be even more fun when our paladin gets a few T10 2set procs in a row.

The snap aggro also means (in the case of anub) that our hunter(s) can focus on keeping the Anub tank MDed.

I usually spec 1/5 in Conviction, but tbh what is 1% crit going to do in the long run as a tank if your single target threat is more than good enough, took SoC a week ago or so and it's awesome for heroics and trash that dies fast as stated in this post, but nothing more..
    Signature.. Am I doing this right?