Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Computer dying? Can't afford a new one yet

Hey guys,
    I can run 10mans fine on my current computer, and i USED to be able to run 25mans. Yes my computer is getting old and some parts are probably worn out and dont work as well as they used to. But is there anything anyone can suggest that could improve performance in 25mans without saying reduce graphics (i already have) and reducing amount of addons running (i've done that too)
    Any help would be fantastic and VERY helpful to my dps in raids haha
    Cheers,
    Shmiles.

edit: yes my last one got locked, when others asking similar questions were not.

Re: Computer dying? Can't afford a new one yet

less gaming
    more working
    buy better computer
    stop working
    go play more.

Format C:

Or try to overclock your CPU.

I am working a lot, thanks for a useless reply.
    I recently formatted and my fps in raids was still shocking (3-5)
    I'm not sure if my CPU or motherboard is a bit worn from the years of usage (its a fairly old computer) but friends have worse computers and still cope in 25mans.

Check the amount of processes/programs you have running in the background (system tray etc.).

Turning off or disabling some of these will free up resources that can in turn be used by WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmiles
    Hey guys,
    I can run 10mans fine on my current computer, and i USED to be able to run 25mans. Yes my computer is getting old and some parts are probably worn out and dont work as well as they used to. But is there anything anyone can suggest that could improve performance in 25mans without saying reduce graphics (i already have) and reducing amount of addons running (i've done that too)
    Cheers,
    Shmiles.

edit: yes my last one got locked, when others asking similar questions were not.
    Have you tried upgrading your video card drivers and other drivers?
    If you post your specs of your comp here it will be easyer to decide if you need a new comp.

What Azhriaz said is a good idea, but if you have recently formatted, that shouldn't really be a problem unless you use Internet Explorer and surf alot of sketchy websites. If formatting doesn't help and WoW is on the lowest graphics, I dare say I have to agree with Jordybe. Not regarding the work part, but the fact that you should invest in a new computer. It's obviously getting old anyway, and computers are always handy to have around. Sounds like yours is singing its last song.

Drivers might also be worth to check, aye. Go to your unit management and try to update especially the video card drivers.

Video and motherboard drivers are the latest available. Latest service packs available on XP installed.

Specs:
    Core 2 Duo 1.86ghz
    2gig ram
    nvidia 9600gt

This computer used to run wow fine until about 6 months ago, and started to slow down considerably, but even still it should run on my current specs.

It probably is on its last legs, i just wanted to make it run for just 2 months till i can get my new computer!
    Thanks for the help so far guys.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Shmiles
    Hey guys,
    Cheers,
    Shmiles.

Spells and raids have become somewhat shinier, making it harder for your computer to cope. You can upgrade your 3d-card for only 50-80 euro's, that might already fix your problem already.

** With those specs you should be able to run it smoothly with ease. Cheapest and easiest way to improve your p is probably buying another 2 gigs of ram for ~15-20 dollars. Otherwise your CPU might be somewhat old, but I don't think that will be the issue. I'm running with a 3ghz DC and a 8800GTX, now with 6 gigs of ram (over 2 gigs), and it made quite a difference, especially with view distance. You should NOT be getting 3-5 fps at minimum resolution, how is it in other games?

Since your pcs old have you tried flashing the motherboard with the very latest bios you can get?

Try:

- Everest, to get a good view on components, temperatures, etc: http://www.lavalys.com/
    - Hijackthis, to get a good view of running/started processes: http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/
    - Spybot S&D, just to clear your PC of undesirable processes/software: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html
    - defragmenting, to make sure WoW spends the least amount of time it can on actually loading data

So, recap: check your components, check the temperatures and clean up the OS installation/HDD a bit.

And then get back with us to let us know if the problems persist.

Borderlands runs pretty badly. COD4 runs okay, but have to turn off anything else running in background.
    I did upgrade my graphics card when my last one shat itself, so the GPU is definitely not the problem at the moment.
    Another 2 gigs of ram? XP can only use 2gigs or am i misinformed?

Hm, yes u might need a new computer 1.86 ghz isnt too great nowadays, video card is fine.
    From saying it slowed down 6 months ago, the only change i can remember is that they improved textures on weps...

The settings i whould change (dunno if they already are)

- Particle density : LOW
    - Shadow Quality : LOW
    - Projected Textures : OFF

And in resolution settings Multisampling to 1X

You should also check if your addons dont slow down your game.

Edit:

Ah nvm... you already done this, your cpu is just simply to slow. Nowadays computers are not too pricey if you buy loose parts and let someone set it up.

What anti virus are you running?
    Have you done a scan for anything related latley?
    Maybe you've cought something that isn't showing up anywhere yet.

Have you tried windowed/full screen modes?
    Are you using any kind of desktop software (rainmeter, Yodm, or anything to automatically change backgrounds?)

these might have an effect on gaming preformance.

are you noticing any more heat from anything than in the past? Too much heat/not enough cooling can cause some components to degrade while running.

Aye, there's no point in getting more RAM if you're on XP. Only 64-bits Vista and/or Windows 7 benefit from larger amounts of RAM. (32-bits OSes cap at some weird point. Can't quite recall exact numbers.)

To be honest, I can't really figure out the problem. My laptop has way worse specs than that (1gb ram, some incredibly shit built in motherboard/video card stuff and whatnot) and I still manage 6-15~ fps in 25 man raids. Sounds like maybe some of your hardware is fried or something similiar? :<

Try to clean the heat sinks. Dirt on them lessens their capacity to cool the cpu, thus resulting in throttling and bad performance. Also check the settings in your WTF/Config.wtf, the options might have changed, make sure it's directx.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

the best thing u can do if the suggestions from the poster above me dont work is installing a fresh install of windows 7 on a formatted (possibly a new harddrive with better read speed)harddrive and reinstall wow.
    windows 7 seems to comunicate mutch better with ram and video card, i went from 10-15 fps with everything high on the busy hours in dalaran (with the shocking now and then of loading 100+ chars of textures when walking around) to 20-30 fps without any shocking on ultra high settings.

Your computer should be more then able to run wow properly if u make any fresh install of windows and 7 will just help u extra

Deleted

Yes latency, this will make higher costs for your cpu.

From the site:

Are there any down sides to running Leatrix Latency Fix?
    Your PC will process acknowledgements faster so it will have to work a bit harder. This may produce a small drop in framerates.