[Resto] Tank healing without a Paladin

Both our regular Holy Paladins will be MIA this week, so our healing corps is scrambling around to set up without them. We downed Festergut last week, and will be working on getting Rotface's last 20% down.

I'm normally enhance, but it looks like I'll be switching to resto for the week to help with tank heals. My resto gear is currently aimed at haste and raid healing, and gives me 1007 haste, 3049 SP, ~30% crit, and around 400 MP5. Unfortunately, its Tuesday and I'm logged in my enhance gear.

My main question is how to re-gear and regem, but I'm also brainstorming about our healing group as a whole. We will have 2 Resto Druids, 1 other Shaman, and around 3-4 priests available to us. Let's assume 6 healers. How would you set up the healing group?

How would you regem this particular shaman to be better at tank healing? Should I replace all my haste gems with SP gems? Just a few (bring myself down to 700-800 haste?). Gem INT? Let me hear your thoughts.

Sanctøs, the Violet Guardian and Lord of Blackrock
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%C3%B8s/simple

Re: [Resto] Tank healing without a Paladin

I haven't been playing my resto shaman a whole lot recently but I'm gonna say a mix of spellpower and intellect. I need to check which glyphs you have but I'm sure earth shield would be a good one, I'm not sure how much lesser healing wave is used in the raids nowadays but it's the one that increases the amount of healing it does if the target has (your?) earth shield on it. Also see if you have gear that has more crit rating on it, even if it doesn't have mp5.

I haven't healed much in ICC25 yet since my priest mainspec is shadow, but if you can keep three full time healers, I'd guess a druid, shaman, and disc priest with the rest working on raid healing mostly?

On the other hand, you may not even have to regem/gear a whole lot. Perhaps you could bounce chainheals off of the tank hitting the melee too? Just make sure you have all the special little healing buffs on the tank and that you have enough healing for the rest of the raid as well.

my normal glyphs are ES, Chain, and LHW. Chain is obviously useless in this situation. So for the 3rd spot the options are:

HW: would be useful on both Festergut and Rotface so that I would not need heals much, as I'd be casting HW at least some of the time.

Mana Tide: Would help myself with mana regen as I'd be going OOM faster by tank healing, as well as helping the other healers with mana

Stoneclaw Totem: would be useful to prevent my own deaths when I have to move to place oozes on Rotface.

Riptide glyph seems useless here, as I'd be refreshing it often on the tank already.

Water Master seems worse than MTT, but I'd have to run math to verify as I haven't really looked at either MTT or Water mastery glyphs in-depth much.

To me, doesn't seem like you'd need to worry about regemming or looking at other gear.

I personally prefer Glyph of Riptide but if you don't see yourself using it a lot on these fights, then keep chain heal. If nothing else it'll bounce off the tank and hit some melee or you can throw out a few raid heals if one of those trees die. Even if they don't, they probably wouldn't mind the help.

400 mp5 is plenty so glyph of mana tide/water mastery just seems silly.

yeah i will probably bring those glyphs and see how things pan out.

Speaking mainly about festergut and rotface, festergut in particular. It's pretty much spam healing for 5 mins, not sure how long my mana can sustain that.

As a shaman your strength is definitely raid healing, and i would stick to that, throw 1 priest on each tank, have the druids spot hots on them, and druids/shaman/(priest X1) on raid.

Where we are def the best tank healers, it can be done with ease without us.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Board3r24/Sig.jpg
    (Sig too large)

Quote Originally Posted by Cronic420
    As a shaman your strength is definitely raid healing, and i would stick to that, throw 1 priest on each tank, have the druids spot hots on them, and druids/shaman/(priest X1) on raid.

I'm not so sure about that. We definately have big bomb heals: in my haste gear with raid buffs I can crit 1.3 HW's for about 25k. My LHW crit for 11-12k.

When I heal (and its rare, and mostly in 10 mans) with a paladin, and its mostly tank damage (think festergut, or on a boat gunship, etc.) it's amazingly good healing synergy. Spamming 1.1 LHW while the paladin keeps big HL's going is great throughput and gib protection.

For festergut, the amount of tank healing is such that you need big bomb heals, at least from my experience and IMO. Druids and priests I just am not sure can throw down that large of heals.

Of course our forte is raid healing, and that's what I normally do. But when you have no paladin healers, and there the amount of tank healing on festergut, I can't see letting just the priests and druids handle it.

First of all I would suggest to get a bit more mana regen, you will need it.

I was second MT heal the last runs on 25 man.

Rotface wont be a real problem with MT Heal - not too much dmg here. I usually spam LHW (glyphed with earthshield) and later in the fight (with more blobs) mostly chainheal and LHW to rescue someone.
    Chainheal is nice here for the posion aoe dmg from him. Some ppl just won't see it asap. Nice way to regen your mana too

On Festergut it's a whole different story. We had 3 Heals on the MT (6 total, DC priest was joining us in phase 3, the 2 druids could raidheal p3 alone) - 2 were healing the MT and the second one was starting to heal the ST just before the 8 stack came, so we had enough time to change the tank without him dying. Phase 1+2 I was using chainheal / riptide most of the time, so the druids had not so much work with the melee camp. On Phase 3 I was doing riptide, HW, HW, LHW, Riptide ... depends on your haste. JUST LHW wont do it, because the dmg is INSANE. Some 22k HW crits can save the tanks life :3

Oh, and the tanks should eq their avoid eq - HP won't save you here. Our tanks (pala and dk) had HP spec etc. first. Wipe, MT healers mostly out of mana. Avoid EQ (mainly specced for parry) it was WAY easier to heal.
    "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light, Babylon 5

"Only one human captain ever survived a battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me! You are in front of me! If you value your lives - be somewhere else!" - Delenn, Severed Dreams, Babylon 5

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Cronic420

Wait so we are also the best tank healers and raid healers? Slight contridiction there. Also complete BS as we are fantastic tank healers now days.

To be honest I would say keep the gear set up you currently have. It will generate a nice amount of haste for healing wave and lesser healing wave while tank healing. Also what is your relic/totem, because if it is the chain heal = spell power one you will still be doing at least one chain heal every 15seconds or so to keep that up.
    What you could do to help mp5, spell power for tank healing is not gem pure haste (if you have done). And use Haste, sp+haste, mp5+haste instead. To help balance stats.

Deleted

I don't MT heal very often (also enh main spec) but i have no problems using my haste gear and lessor healing wave spamming. Just make sure you keep up ES on the tank and chuck in riptides as often as possible for the crit bonus (mana regen). If you don't have the time or the mana to chuck in a few CH for the totem proc, just switch it for the pvp LHW one.

You could use HW spamming with the odd CH, something like CH, HW, HW, Riptide, HW, HW, repeat ... but personally i prefer the stable through put of LHW + Riptide.

turns out I was stressin over nothin. The damage on festergut is nowhere near as bad as I thought (I dps'd last week) and we 1 shot it easily.

For reference, we had myself (shaman), a disc priest, and a holy priest on tanks, with a holy priest, a shaman, and resto druid on raid. We could have easily 5 healed it. 25k healing waves at 1.3 cast are, well, awesome.