Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow Priest 5-man heroic damage.

Anyone else having dps proplems in 5man heroics?

Even tho i have proper gear for icc10/25man raids, i found my 5-man heroic damage very low.

Mobs have so small amount of hp that my dots have no time to tick, or the mobs are dead before i even cast all of my dots. This is because shadow priests have so slow rotations and no direct dps cooldowns at all, such as mages have icy veins..etc. I dont think its fair for us priests because only "dps cooldown" we have is shadowfiend, what i usually dont see as a dps boost, more like mana gaining cooldown. WTB real dps cooldows for shadow priests!

Anyone else faced the same proplem as i do in 5man heroics? please post reply and tell your opinion.

/Pappi

Re: Shadow Priest 5-man heroic damage.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous

What about when we are not talking about huqe trash packs?

i do around 8-9k dps as shadow in 25-mans, my gear is not amazing, just 232-251,

I agree, but our dps is in such a great spot right now i can't complain, atm we are extremely good in raids and i'd like it to stay that way

we are getting a direct nuke in cata you'll just have to wait

my dps is embarrassingly low in heroics. mind sear helps in big groups of mobs but not so much in 3-4. shadow priests just dont have much burst. even some heroic bosses are dead just as my rotation is getting going. i just use mind blast and mind flay alot with mobs while hitting them all with SW:Pain. Devouring Plague can only be on one mob at a time so I dont bother and VT doesnt seem to get much dmg off before a mob dies.

my dps is fine against bosses and in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponko
    i do around 8-9k dps as shadow in 25-mans, my gear is not amazing, just 232-251,

I agree, but our dps is in such a great spot right now i can't complain, atm we are extremely good in raids and i'd like it to stay that way

we are getting a direct nuke in cata you'll just have to wait
    he was just talking about 5 man heroics.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by gord96
    he was just talking about 5 man heroics.
    ponko didnt care he was just trying to flex his epeen and if what you are saying is true then wtf is up with blizz cuz im pretty sure i cannot reach that much dps with my boomkin and he's a hybrid too........wtf blizz
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Personally, I'm doing fine on heroics.

Only use VT and SW:P on trash unless there is a specific mob that needs downed quickly, then also put DP on said mob.

On 2-3 mob packs, if the groups DPS is good, then only use VT, but if they suck horribly, you can get SW:P to last long enough to make an impact.

On 4+ mobs, try to put VT(maybe even SW:P) on the mob with the most HP and then MS the rest.

We do need a spamable nuke but we're fine as is.

Some tips: Cast vt-pain while tank is charging, then use mb death,plague. Now that devouring plague doesnt have a cd you can use it as a nuke ability. Usually I target one mob cast vt, pain and then turn to another mob which noone else hits and nuke that one. It is dead until i get aggro and it reaches me.
    If there are three of them vt-pain-plague the one and then mind sear. It works fine for me.

It's just an heroic. Read a book and let the fanspam rogue do the work.

I'm sorry if I may be harsh or whatever, but.. why do you care about your dps on trash mobs? it's not like your group is likely to wipe because you only do 500 (or whatever due to dots not ticking) dps on trash mobs.. spriest is still very strong on the fights where their dots DO tick in, so.......... all in all, they're alright
    stop the elitism

Never really giving it a serious thought but something like this:

>3
    VT+DP+SWP first mob
    <tab>
    VT+SWP second
    <tab>
    VT+SWP Third
    MS

<3
    VT+DP first
    <tab>
    VT, MB, Death (move forward in instance *gogogo*), SWP second
    <tab>
    VT+SWP third
    Common sense from there

VT+SWP third
    Common sense from there
    Common sense tells me if it is <3... then there is no third to dot up

15+ Year Old Account

Wow, you even care about heroic dps. I don't give a damn and am usually just trying to pull aggro or ninjapull stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo
    ponko didnt care he was just trying to flex his epeen and if what you are saying is true then wtf is up with blizz cuz im pretty sure i cannot reach that much dps with my boomkin and he's a hybrid too........wtf blizz
    8-9k dps is not good mate on a static fight, im sure many people are peaking at 10k now on some static fights.

i was talking about heroics, its just not important and any changes that ay affect our raid dps would be a huge loss,

to the guy saying about his boomkin dps ive seen very good boomkins at 9k dps, granted they are awesome players

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

On 3 or less, I VT on all, MB, Flay until one is dead, repeat.

More than 3, just Sear.

You really shouldn't care about your damage in a 5 man heroic.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ponko
    8-9k dps is not good mate on a static fight, im sure many people are peaking at 10k now on some static fights.

i was talking about heroics, its just not important and any changes that ay affect our raid dps would be a huge loss,

to the guy saying about his boomkin dps ive seen very good boomkins at 9k dps, granted they are awesome players
    Without 4pc T10, or adds to DoT up, you will see very few people breaking 10k on a static fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tihr
    Without 4pc T10, or adds to DoT up, you will see very few people breaking 10k on a static fight.
    They do, and i said peaking which means during lust etc, achieving 10k dps thoughout a whole encounter would be nice to see for us shadowpriests, its probably not possible atm

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    Personally, I'm doing fine on heroics.

Only use VT and SW:P on trash unless there is a specific mob that needs downed quickly, then also put DP on said mob.

On 2-3 mob packs, if the groups DPS is good, then only use VT, but if they suck horribly, you can get SW:P to last long enough to make an impact.

On 4+ mobs, try to put VT(maybe even SW:P) on the mob with the most HP and then MS the rest.

We do need a spamable nuke but we're fine as is.
    This is bad advice...

You use VT & DP only and drop SW:P unless the mob has over 100K health which is only true for some specific single pulls or the ICC 5mans. You need to play your spriest differently than what you would against a raid boss. Ignore your SW stacks, it's more effecient to get dots on quicker than it is to delay the spells for max stacks. You need to multi dot everything, if it's 3 mobs of low health, VT on all and MS is a good strat, if its 3 mobs with high health, multi dot them all and bench MS. If its 4 mobs, VT all and MS, if its 5 or more, VT your MS target only and MS.

I continually manage 5K+ dps on trash pulls (and with some friendly buffs 6K+)... it's just a matter of having a good UI, good bindings and good reactions to multi dot effeciently as well as sum up the situation to maximise your DPS.

Having said all that, your DPS in a 5man on trash is completely insignificant and you are probably best served worrying about your raid performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Common sense tells me if it is <3... then there is no third to dot up
    Bah! :P
    Ment less then or equal to 3.. so <=3 then