Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Shadow Priest 5-man heroic damage.

Have you ever seen a Arcane mage in a 5man HC?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponko
    8-9k dps is not good mate on a static fight, im sure many people are peaking at 10k now on some static fights.

i was talking about heroics, its just not important and any changes that ay affect our raid dps would be a huge loss,

to the guy saying about his boomkin dps ive seen very good boomkins at 9k dps, granted they are awesome players
    show me a log, where u are doing 8~~9k on single boss fight like Festergut :O

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous
    MS is pretty junk damage until you hit at least 4 mobs (that means a 5+ mob pack). Below that, tab-dotting is much better.
    I vt+swp all mobs and put dp on the mob I expect to die last. Then, and only then I may drop 1-2 MS on the top of the dots. Even on small and fast dying pulls you can break 4K with this in badge gear. I'm horrified by the amount of fail priests who spam MS on 2-3 mob pulls and/or fail to break 1.5-2K on trash then do 4K+ on bosses. They don't know how to handle trash.
    Try to keep your shadow weaving stack by SWDing critters and if it's starting to fall off at the start of a pull, use DP or SWP before VT, that refreshes your stack 1 GCD sooner.

I expect the only reason that your dps in 5 man heroics is low is because mobs are dying too fast from the high dps of the other dps in your group.
    I wouldn't wory about it if you're doing fine dps in raid. It's because a lot of our dps is built up over time and in 5 mans these days mobs can be killed by some dps even before we've cast SW:P for the first time!

IE. Other classes burst damage is so high in 5 mans things are dead before we can DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Doors79
    I expect the only reason that your dps in 5 man heroics is low is because mobs are dying too fast from the high dps of the other dps in your group.
    I wouldn't wory about it if you're doing fine dps in raid. It's because a lot of our dps is built up over time and in 5 mans these days mobs can be killed by some dps even before we've cast SW:P for the first time!

IE. Other classes burst damage is so high in 5 mans things are dead before we can DPS

/Totally agree.

As others said, the guy who said he's pulling 8-9k dps on static fights with 232-251 gear is obviously lying, this is NOT possible for a shadowpriest at his current state, unless the fight involves NO MOVEMENT AT ALL (yes even festergut requires a bit of movement) and you somehow manage to get a permanent bloodlust/heroism-buff, you'r not going to reach it with that gear. I got ~252 Ilvl and do around 7.5-8k dps on festergut 25 on the whole fight, I strongly doubt you'r reaching 1k more dps with worse gear.(and brains as well probably, because of your comment)

Quote Originally Posted by Zka
    MS is pretty junk damage until you hit at least 4 mobs (that means a 5+ mob pack). Below that, tab-dotting is much better.
    No, just no.

As stated before: on 3 or less mobs its best to dot all up.

Once you start hitting 3 mobs (grp of 4+) you do better dmg with mindsear.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    This is bad advice...

You use VT & DP only and drop SW:P unless the mob has over 100K health which is only true for some specific single pulls or the ICC 5mans. You need to play your spriest differently than what you would against a raid boss. Ignore your SW stacks, it's more effecient to get dots on quicker than it is to delay the spells for max stacks. You need to multi dot everything, if it's 3 mobs of low health, VT on all and MS is a good strat, if its 3 mobs with high health, multi dot them all and bench MS. If its 4 mobs, VT all and MS, if its 5 or more, VT your MS target only and MS.

I continually manage 5K+ dps on trash pulls (and with some friendly buffs 6K+)... it's just a matter of having a good UI, good bindings and good reactions to multi dot effeciently as well as sum up the situation to maximise your DPS.

Having said all that, your DPS in a 5man on trash is completely insignificant and you are probably best served worrying about your raid performance.
    Like I said in my post, only use SW:P if your group dps sucks horribly(other dps doing 1k max etc.), which results in SW:P getting close to the full duration on each mob(if you do not refresh with MF). I haven't tried it without SW:P because I haven't found a group that actually can do decent DPS. Also using the glyph will result in the ability to keep your mana up for longer on multi-dot fights.

As long as you do your job and the heroic gets cleared it shouldn't matter really, whether your DPS is 3k or 5k or whatever your dps is.

Seems like OP, outgears the heroics my a large margin. Furthermore it seems that all heroic mobs except the new ICC 5m dungeons, tend to have so low hp, that almost all casters have a hard time really even getting more than a couple of spells thrown before the mob is down - So it is not only Shadow Priest.

Deleted

Old heroics are so easy, that it doesn't really matter.

In the new ICC heroics spriests can do alot of damage. Mobs often come in big packs and have more hp. VT and MS are your main spells on thrash packs.

I ran Pit of Saron like 30 times to get the trinket. My total dps was often around 6k dps and 10-14k on biggest thrash packs.
    I'd say spriest is "hc viable".

Dot classes will always have a disadvantage in fast nuking capability compared to direct damage specs. Some believe that the new nuke spell in Cata will change this, but it won't. As long as shadow remains a dot spec, it cannot have a nuke without cooldown compairable to dd specs. It will be like SB for affliction, not very useful on it's own. The only real advange from a new nuke could be that we get rid of the old channeled spell, MF, which has major disadvantages with spell pushback and latency.

I'm doing just fine in heroics, people can rarely compete with me, unless its some other heavy aoe class like unholy dk, or good retri paladin. All you need to do is VT all possible alive mobs, DP on one you think will die the last, and Mind sear spam. When there is less than 3 mobs do standard rotation, but never forget to dot every single target (unless mobs have like 12k hp).
    "There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it."
    - William Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    This is bad advice...

You use VT & DP only and drop SW:P unless the mob has over 100K health which is only true for some specific single pulls or the ICC 5mans. You need to play your spriest differently than what you would against a raid boss. Ignore your SW stacks, it's more effecient to get dots on quicker than it is to delay the spells for max stacks. You need to multi dot everything, if it's 3 mobs of low health, VT on all and MS is a good strat, if its 3 mobs with high health, multi dot them all and bench MS. If its 4 mobs, VT all and MS, if its 5 or more, VT your MS target only and MS.

I continually manage 5K+ dps on trash pulls (and with some friendly buffs 6K+)... it's just a matter of having a good UI, good bindings and good reactions to multi dot effeciently as well as sum up the situation to maximise your DPS.

Having said all that, your DPS in a 5man on trash is completely insignificant and you are probably best served worrying about your raid performance.

And having said that 5 man heroic are a joke... raids are all u should really be worring about when it comes the METER everyone love to bring up. The METERS are never right and everyones is different. So stop whining about ur 5 man and get to thinking 10 heck just do 25 man....
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara