Page 1 of 2
LastLast

To DPS with love.

Click here. It sends you to a WoWInsider blog

Something we should ALL know. But 90% don't. So I'm posting this all over the WoW related forums. Just to get the message out.

This is NOT a FUCK YOU DPS QQ RAWR post. I'm just linking very very very helpful advice for any trigger happy thu.. dps.

Re: To DPS with love.

I.. HATE dps who use knockbacks

i love that blog, that post was oh so true! (btw not just saying that because i'm a tank, i'm also a hunter, rogue, mage, shaman, holy paladin so i got all bases covered!)

This post should be read before every Heroic.

Definitely makes me smile. :]

UGH. Oh dear god this one, this one.

Why tanks hate it: The odds of your running across a DPS death knight who uses Death Grip correctly seems to occur at a rate of around 1%. Far more common is the DPS DK who impatiently pulls the next group before you do, but lacks the sense to at least pull a caster mob while doing it. The inevitable result is a melee enemy beating on the death knight while I run around like a giant idiot trying to grab aggro on the rest of the pull while taunting a caster who refuses to move.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by zizfizziks
    UGH. Oh dear god this one, this one.

Why tanks hate it: The odds of your running across a DPS death knight who uses Death Grip correctly seems to occur at a rate of around 1%. Far more common is the DPS DK who impatiently pulls the next group before you do, but lacks the sense to at least pull a caster mob while doing it. The inevitable result is a melee enemy beating on the death knight while I run around like a giant idiot trying to grab aggro on the rest of the pull while taunting a caster who refuses to move.
    yes.. well as he stated it only happens rarely. What i do in such a situation is just say: ''you pulled it. you tank it.'' and grab the rest of the group let the DK get nuked and then grab the mob he deathgripped.

First one I see on the list is Thunderstorm, Blast Wave and Typhoon. I'm leveling a shaman as enhancement right now, but interested in an elemental offspec, plus I've also got a fire mage on the go as well. I'm wondering whether I should glyph to remove the knockback effects of these abilities at 80, or if I should leave them as they are, but be careful using them. I know as a tank it's annoying when someone pops one of those skills when they're not glyphed and throws all of the mobs away, but I'm wondering... should I or should I not glyph these?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic.

I never see DPS in my raids using Knockbacks, nor do I see them in 5 man LFG PuGs. I was under the impression it was common knowledge to not use knockbacks unless told too.

On my tanking druid I'm leveling however, I HATE it when Mages Frost Nova, because there's always a mob or two that are out of range that will go right for the mage becouse I can't build aggro on them. Then the mage gets pissed at me for not holding aggro on them. :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Holo
    yes.. well as he stated it only happens rarely. What i do in such a situation is just say: ''you pulled it. you tank it.'' and grab the rest of the group let the DK get nuked and then grab the mob he deathgripped.
    Last time anyone told me that, I happily tanked the POS add from 100% to 0 all by myself. Blood for the win. I rarely do pull (especially since my main's a tank and I know how annoying it can be), but this was an agreed full clear, and we passed a mob, so I Death Coil'd it.
    "Like it's MY fault some BIG dragon knocked me into a cave full of LITTLE dragons!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
    The community didn't go down the shitter because of the LFG system, the LFG system just introduced you to the shitty community in a horribly effective way.

most of these are tank failures to be honest, espially the one about not dps for a few seconds while the mobs run to you ect, I call that fail tank pull so what if we grab the 2nd pack we can handle it and also you tell me to wait 2-3 seconds from pull is that 2-3 secodns after you nitate pull or 2-3 secodns after they actuallya rraive to your lazy tank self who won't move to them.. I also don't like tanks who can't keep aggro i should not have to watch omen on trash packs.

Quote Originally Posted by sablette
    most of these are tank failures to be honest, espially the one about not dps for a few seconds while the mobs run to you ect, I call that fail tank pull so what if we grab the 2nd pack we can handle it and also you tell me to wait 2-3 seconds from pull is that 2-3 secodns after you nitate pull or 2-3 secodns after they actuallya rraive to your lazy tank self who won't move to them.. I also don't like tanks who can't keep aggro i should not have to watch omen on trash packs.
    Maybe, just maybe... it's a bad idea to charge into a group that's next to another group that's next to a pat that's next to another group? You seriously don't have the patience to wait two whole seconds before you start blasting away with your highest threat attacks? Not all tanks ding 80 with 30k+ health and zero threat problems when running with ToGC geared DPS. >.>

My pally is currently in the mid-40's. I'm decked out in full heirloom gear, so generally speaking threat isn't particularly an issue for me. But sometimes there are hunters. Hunters. I'm beginning to hate them. I get into Orange Crystals with a group, and this hunter ninjas a wand that one of the casters could have used. This wand dropped from one of the last trash packs in the instance, and the hunter rolls need on it over the casters. Very irritating. So, once we were on Razorlash, I let his pet grab threat on the boss and directed all the other dps to back off. No dps on the boss, no heals on the pet, and I sure wasn't going to grab threat. I let that hunter's pet die, and I felt good about it. A little righteous vindication for the casters in that group.

Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

This really makes it sound like you know what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikabod00
    While those of us who have ever played a video game before, stop and think "Gas coming from the walls. probably don't wanna touch that"

Those abilities and people who abuse them, are of course some of the reason I still try to look after loose mobs with my rogue. And if I find them, I hit them until they hate me, then lead them back to the tank if he's busy with three other targets or more as it is already (Doesn't hurt that I have a non-stun interrupt to help mages run after me for good positioning). So at least he'll then have a pretty good chance of taking them off me as they'll be close to him again. And even if he doesn't, I have at least tried, and can usually hold one mob on my own anyway.

Tank-concious rogues who'll go beyond topping DPS charts. Love them. Treasure them. For they are rare.

That being said, if I'm in a group that just waltzes over things - and since I'm supposed to be grouped with people of fairly similar gearlevel, that happens a lot - I don't necessarily care if I get aggro off some mob (not that that happens a lot, as I usually start with using TotT before moving in... and usually deal with competent tanks too). But then again, at such times the tank doesn't usually bother marking the mobs either, and the healer never empties for mana, and nobody cares in general, at least not enough to comment.

Also, strangely surprised by the blog comment that that said Sap was annoying (talking about lower-level dungeons, I believe). Seriously, while Sap may not be necessary these days, it just won't do any harm either, unlike the abilities of the blog article.
    Sneaky bastard who constantly wears Chef's Hat, or as I like to call it: The Hat.

"The only one knowing to not stand in a whirlwind is the one wearing a cooking hat?" <-- Question from healer when the other two melee DPS died on last Gundrak boss.

I am also leveling a tankladin in full heirloom and am currently around lvl 40.
    For those who don't know, there is few tanks at this level. The reason is that dps at this level are way worse than at lvl 80.
    The most annoying thing is they pull for you or they attack while you are moving out of sight to make a caster come in melee range...
    I am lucky enough to be playing with my brother who created a disci priest (in full heirloom too) so when a dps do pull for me or something like that, I just leave the mob on him and tell my brother not to heal.

In a way it is the same problem with low level instances and heroics, they are too easy!
    So easy in fact that dps seem to think they can do anything they please... and later they complain about not finding any tank to run instances...

I personally have a dk+warrior tank, holy pala enhancement shaman/resto. You dont go to a heroic to fiddle with your thumbs just be ready for things and get it done fast. Most of these thing mentioned are dealable with i mean is it that hard to move 2 yards to hit another mob or through a silenced on the caster so he follows you to melee mobs. As enhancement i full nuke from the pull but im lucky to have wind shear. THIS POST isnt a reason hate dps hate heroics or whatever its casual players who dont know tactics dont understand anything except there point of view. Welcome to wow get used to having people on your back in heroics and 10/25 man pugs. They do something wrong you counter it. Not like its hard.

How I personally use my abilitys(examples limited)

Mage- Normally the only time I use frost nova is if a mob is beating on me. I freeze, and move so I take no damage. I've also been known to use my engineering boots to get to the portal in VH thaat splits the mobs and frost nova them in place for a easy tank pick up.

DK- I have my DG macroed as a cast sequence to Dg>Icebound Fort> Mind Freeze. It also yells what I deathgripped so the tank can taunt or switch to get it off me, or other various things. I chose yell instead of pt chat because the tank will be able to see it easier. I use this in HoR on rifleman and casters, or in other heroics with casters depending on the tanks pulling method(IE- if a druid/warrior charges the castor I won't ue it)

Shaman- since my shaman is a new 80, the only times I've used TS is in HoS, during the boss event. CL might pull a mob to me, and I was positioned to know the mob right in front of tank(was hilarious to watch myself do it)

Quote Originally Posted by refresher

Mage- Normally the only time I use frost nova is if a mob is beating on me. I freeze, and move so I take no damage. I've also been known to use my engineering boots to get to the portal in VH thaat splits the mobs and frost nova them in place for a easy tank pick up.

DK- I have my DG macroed as a cast sequence to Dg>Icebound Fort> Mind Freeze. It also yells what I deathgripped so the tank can taunt or switch to get it off me, or other various things. I chose yell instead of pt chat because the tank will be able to see it easier. I use this in HoR on rifleman and casters, or in other heroics with casters depending on the tanks pulling method(IE- if a druid/warrior charges the castor I won't ue it)

Shaman- since my shaman is a new 80, the only times I've used TS is in HoS, during the boss event. CL might pull a mob to me, and I was positioned to know the mob right in front of tank(was hilarious to watch myself do it)
    Your mage example is fine. DK example is a bit iffy i personally death grip chains run aways pop some survive cds. Shaman if your pulling agro with CL get a new tank..

But tbh all heroics you can probally just control the add and kill it yourself if you have a half decent knowlegde of your class. Thats why i dont understand these posts, unless your a just dinged 80 with greens/blues nothing will trouble you really yes HOR is a tad bit hard compared to others thats why its got a i lvl requirement

the need for a big, warm cup of l2p is strong in this one. seriously man, how about you stop being a not-so-smart person and roll tank by yourself to see how it feels when people unload their high nukes or aoe before you even round up mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by refresher

I macro my DG to yell in RAID and PARTY chat that i am gripping (target) to the tank, please taunt it. I only grip things that are at range, and the tank cannot close the gap, and i ALWAYS ghoul stun them after i yank them so that the tank has time to taunt.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.