[Resto] Help with trinket choices mostly

So, first thread/post on the shaman forums though I've been trolling the rogue ones for far too long now. Hi!
    I'm likely to reroll to my shaman in a few weeks as we're growing melee heavy and seem to be losing healers to RL faster than we can recruit stable raiders. I'll be stepping into some over-sized shoes having only healed 10mans and the odd toc25 so far and I'm replacing our top resto shaman who's gone enhancement. That said, I've read the stickies, checked a couple of the EJ sheets to look at throughput and rotations etc and I feel like I'm getting to a place where healing is fluid thanks to a decent chunk of haste, and I'm not really running into mana problems that often either. I'm not looking for hand-holding per se, I'm just at a loss when it comes to deciding between trinkets seeing as there's so much going on there with the various procs.

Here's my armory for reference.
    http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...land&n=Cordoba

I've currently got Soul of the Dead and Ephemeral Snowflake equipped but I also carry Forethought Talisman for less mana-intensive fights.

Now I'm wondering what you would do. Replace FT for ES altogether because it's superior? I use ES in conjunction with Nature's Swiftness most of the time by the reasoning that any time I need to use NS there's usually alot of other people taking heavy damage as well. I'm looking into getting the badge trinket as well to replace SotD seeing as it should keep my mana regen pretty solid still. I'm really just wondering if I'm being silly thinking that SotD helps my mana regen by enough to warrant me keeping it and if I should maybe be looking at getting tier bits before the trinket.

Thanks in advance, Javan/Cordoba

Edit: Wow, just realized I should replace that water mastery glyph and maybe spec into healing focus over elemental weapons, don't slap me around too much for it.

Re: [Resto] Help with trinket choices mostly

Wow, haven't even gotten trolled on this. Shaman forums really are a world apart from the rogue ones..

Deleted

There is some articles about resto trinkets over at http://www.shieldsup.ch/

Of the 3, my personal preferrence would be Soul of the Dead and Forethought Talisman

That's brilliant, thank you!

To provide you with a frame of reference:
    - Soul of the Dead: ~75mp5 + nominal crit
    - Snowflake: ~ 138mp5 + fairly powerful on-use
    - Talisman: 111sp + hot (pure throughput)

In contrast to Stevos, I would suggest ditching Soul as soon as possible, so long as you're not hurting for mana, because it really is underwhelming in terms of preferred shaman stats. Lunar dust is an excellent trinket (if that's what you mean by "the badge one") but getting it before you get all your tier would probably be a bad choice as the tier stats are a major bump for everyone not in ToGC258 gear. Overall though, I wouldn't worry too much about your trinkets impacting your performance--they're a small piece of a much larger picture, which at this point seems to include learning all you can about shaman healing (or catching up on what you might have missed while playing your rogue.)

As an aside, if you are planning on raid healing (using CH predominantly) then I would advise you to pick up a heck of a lot more haste by swapping out some of those crit-only pieces you have. For CH, pick up Glyph of CH over HW. If you are going to be taking over tank-healing duties, then I would suggest spellpower/haste gemming strat, and you could swap in Glyph of RT instead of Glyph of HW (though the usefulness is questionable if you're going to be casting RT every CD to maintain TW uptime.)

Hope this helps address your questions. Best of luck to you!

- Snowflake: ~ 138mp5 + fairly powerful on-use

Is it really that high??? I found it good, but situational at best. Out of the three, I would ditch Soul.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

Deleted

Mana regen is pretty useless most of the time, you get far more from crits/raid regen anyway. Ultimately depends if you have mana issues i guess.

The haste on use buff is nice, but too long a cd in my view to get the trinket slot over one that has a static crit buff.

If you are healing a fight with a a period of high burst damage on a long cool down, then the on use will be imba (say the door tactic for twins) but otherwise its a bit average. All depends on the fight, and if you need that haste boost.

Thanks for the replies!

Wasn't aware that snowflake gave that much mp5, seems a bit high but maybe I'm just not sure what it procs off exactly. Hurting for mana is really on a case-by-case basis but with full raid buffs I generally don't run out even on more intensive fights like Festergut.

So with that in mind I'm going for haste straight up where I can find it. Haven't been able to replace everything I'd like to and so far upgrades have been more of a case of taking what I can get from our alt raids. Just trying to get into the class now that I'm rerolling since I know most of the mechanics behind the rogue and I don't like feeling lost on a new character

Cheers on the advice for raid/tank healing btw, guess I'll have to carry some glyphs with me.

That number for the snowflake seems too high. That is the theoretical max, given an ICD of .4 seconds. To even hope to achieve this, you need to have some healing spell being cast or a hot ticking every .4 seconds.

Lets say you had the glyph of riptide, so riptide's hot will last 21 seconds, allowing you to get a maximum of four riptides rolling at the same time, assuming you don't ever target your riptide targets with chain heal and you cast it every time its off CD right away. The fourth riptide will fall off 3 seconds before you can recast it, so let's call it three simultaneous riptides rolling, once you take into account the fact that we don't sit around and wait for riptide to be off CD or interrupt our other casts for a riptide.

That means that the snowflake could give you 11 mana every second, if the riptide ticks were spaced perfectly apart. Thats 55 mp/5. Now, in order to take advantage of the trinket proc coming off its ICD halfway between those ticks, you would need to cast a direct heal every 1 second exactly between the riptide ticks. Lets say you somehow manage to hit 3 of those timed perfectly during our 5 second window...(this would be a feat in and of itself in a typical raiding situation)... Now we are looking at 88 mp/5 assuming all the stars align. The numbers posted over at wowhead really only apply to resto druids, since they can realistically have 8,9,10 or more hots rolling concurrently, so every time the trinket's proc is off ICD, it will proc again.

Our heals are mostly direct heals, and since it will not proc for each jump of chain heal due to the ICD (nor does it proc from earthliving hots, earth shield orbs, or healing stream totem ticks), its theoretical value is somewhat sketchy, but really more in the neighborhood of 50-60 mp/5 for a real live raid situation.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Does snowflake work with Healing Stream totem, cause if it doesnt there im not sure where such high number came from?

It really is nice trinket, but i think the number here is a bit too high. Especially for shaman. For LHW and HW you will only get 11 mana, for CH you will get 44 mana (assuming internal cooldown wont mess it up) or 11 mana if 0.4 internal CD jumps in. For riptide you'll get 11 mana for ininital, and then 55 mana for HoT part.

Asumming two ticks of riptide, and 5*LHW on 1 sec cast time (cap) its only 77 MP5, on the other hand if we'll cast 3*CH then and get 44 MP5, then it's 132+22=155 MP5.

Second scenario is very unlikely though.

Hmm i forgot bout crits and AA (assuming it works with AA) which will add 0.4 (with 40% crit chance, not sure if thats good number though) more heals, for first scenario its 22 MP5 more (2 heals more), for second scenario it doesnt change anything as AA doesnt work for CH.

Quote Originally Posted by Instant
    Does snowflake work with Healing Stream totem, cause if it doesnt there im not sure where such high number came from?

It really is nice trinket, but i think the number here is a bit too high. Especially for shaman. For LHW and HW you will only get 11 mana, for CH you will get 44 mana (assuming internal cooldown wont mess it up) or 11 mana if 0.4 internal CD jumps in. For riptide you'll get 11 mana for ininital, and then 55 mana for HoT part.

Asumming two ticks of riptide, and 5*LHW on 1 sec cast time (cap) its only 77 MP5, on the other hand if we'll cast 3*CH then and get 44 MP5, then it's 132+22=155 MP5.

Second scenario is very unlikely though.

Hmm i forgot bout crits and AA (assuming it works with AA) which will add 0.4 (with 40% crit chance, not sure if thats good number though) more heals, for first scenario its 22 MP5 more (2 heals more), for second scenario it doesnt change anything as AA doesnt work for CH.
    This math is wrong, the maximum possible is 138 mp5, based solely on the ICD of the trinket proc. See my post just above yours. Chain heal only gives back 11 mana because of the ICD, and it doesn't proc off healing stream. It will not proc off AA either, because of the ICD. All told, our heals are just not set up correctly to get the max benefit from this trinket.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Ok, so i dont understand where is an error in math? I was talking about shaman as this is shaman forum after all. And i said that im not sure if CH can proc more than 11 mana. I have this trinket on my druid, and i get (cant recall exact number) around 110 mana from WG, which is more than i'd get from just 7 ticks of WG.

Maximum possible mp5 is not interesting when you dont have spells that will proc it. If it doesnt proc from HST, then we get a maximum of 7 heals per 5 seconds (2x Riptide tick and 5x LHW, again not sure bout Earth Shield?) in best scenario, thats 77 mana.

Whats the point of telling/showing/proving that trinket has higher max mp5 if we cant get it as shaman?

That trinket isnt great for shammy.