Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Windows 7 and WoW isn't working, any solutions?

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....73087&pageNo=1

I wrote a thread there. I could write same things here but thought it'd be easier to throw that link.

So shortly said when I'm clicking Wow.exe or Launcher, the game won't open.

Any solutions?

Thanks
    asd

Re: Windows 7 and WoW isn't working, any solutions?

Properties->compability->set to Xp service pack 2

Still not working?

Try opening as admin
    You cannot bandage a bleeding target...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    This gets my vote for thread of the month.
    If WoW was "just" a game, you wouldn't be in this forum.

Try Right-clicking the icon and run as Administrator, might help.

Tried to run with XP SP2, XP SP3 and Vista SP2 Compability mode and as administrator - Still same problem
    asd

Quote Originally Posted by Norther
    Any solutions?
    Yes.

I copied the WoW folder from old operating system
    Don't do this. Ever.

Reinstall and don't be lazy next time

edit - fyi smaller hard drives generally have faster access times. If i could, i would install WoW to the smallest hard drive possible, the loading times would increase alot.

Bigger isn't always better
    I have a good idea, why don't you contribute to something here....It would be a whole lot better than getting pressure induced nose bleeds and nerd raging durrn durrrns in your posts :-*

10+ Year Old Account

Try to disable your commonly installed background programs one by one and see if anything there is causing the problem. You could also delete the WTF folder but if you've installed wow fresh by now you shouldn't have any problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by FightClub777
    Don't do this. Ever.
    I've been doing the "copy wow folder"-thing for me, my friends, and new computers/reformats since that one time I did try to reinstall and it took half a year. I'd really recommend to try that first if you need wow on a new machine. YOU CAN SAVE HOURS! Then, if that causes problems for some reason (saved graphical settings that won't work on the new machine), go with the clean install (or delete WTF).

OP has done a clean install by now anyway. Says so in the wow-europe thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FightClub777
    Yes.

Don't do this. Ever.

I did it and I have no problems whatsoever, why do it the hard way?
    Man often meets his destiny, on the path he takes to avoid it.

try to disable write protection of the wow folder
    run in admin mode
    delete the config.wtf

try to start wow.exe directly from the explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Bats

ALL COMPUTERS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bats
    To avoid problems the OP is having.

Different operating systems can have different file structures, different registry entries, 32 bit / 64 bit differences, different driver informations, different information on the file allocation tables etc etc.

Sometimes it will work, other times you will copy across, try to run something, that something pollutes your registry with incorrect information with sometimes things you cant clean, by the end of a big mess you have bodged any chance of ever getting it to work and end up formatting and reinstalling your operating system.

If you want to install something properly, you do it properly, otherwise all kinds of things can go wrong and you end up wasting more time trying to fix it, when 99% of fresh installations would work perfectly anyway.

Lazy method is lazy, and can often go wrong.
    I have a good idea, why don't you contribute to something here....It would be a whole lot better than getting pressure induced nose bleeds and nerd raging durrn durrrns in your posts :-*

I copied the WoW folder from old operating system
    Normally this should not be the problem... but normally includes your old and your new operating system had the same 32/64 bit version.

If you upgrade from xp/vista 32 to win7 64 you probably should reinstall wow.

you can copy wow and there are no 32/64 bit issues, cause wow is 32 bit and it doent become 64 just because you have win64bit
    if you have win64 wow still is a 32-bit application

alhough I wouldn't recommend putting wow in the default program folder:
    win7 isnt allowing programs to make any changes there, changes are done via shadowcopy and then linked to the program folder, this 'can' cause problems with some programms

This is the same problem i had with a friends computer. My guess it that you areusing the x64 bit version of windows. You need to move the WoW folder from "c:\program files\world of warcraft" the default installation folder to "c:\documents and settings\public\games\world of warcraft"

Not sure of the exact folder as I am at work /hide while writing this but you should get the idea. Will check exact folder when I get home later on today.

EQPippa

Dawnraiders

Reinstalling WoW doesn't have to take ages.

You can download the WoW client installer from the WoW website, which downloads and installs at the same time. No hassle with cd's/dvd's, just one file that installs WoW + the expansion of your choice.

Here's where you find it:

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/downloads/client/

Click on the [PC] or [Mac] icon to start the download.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by EQPippa
    This is the same problem i had with a friends computer. My guess it that you areusing the x64 bit version of windows. You need to move the WoW folder from "c:\program files\world of warcraft" the default installation folder to "c:\documents and settings\public\games\world of warcraft"

Not sure of the exact folder as I am at work /hide while writing this but you should get the idea. Will check exact folder when I get home later on today.

EQPippa

Dawnraiders
    You might be onto something there. Though you don't need to put it in public/games, just anywhere else than program files. Think WOW prefers just to put the folder on the root on your harddrive when installing in vista/win 7.

Try disabling UAC! It's a scary feature anyway.

Cry over your lost money and reinstall XP Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by EQPippa

EQPippa

Dawnraiders
    This is basically it. Windows 7 changes the way programs can write to the registry and file systems. Do yourself a favour and reinstall it to the default c:\users\public . You can always copy in your patch files, config and UI.

Oh and DO NOT TURN OFF UAC , its there for a reason
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

Problem solved. ATI Tray Tools was causing the problem.
    asd

Quote Originally Posted by Norther
    Problem solved. ATI Tray Tools was causing the problem.

\o/

Deleted

I've used it on multiple x64 based systems, never had any problems, having installed mostly on another HDD in a games map

Only install drivers for shit, don't get all the extra shit. Also, UAC is shit, turned it off the second I could find it.