Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

HoR Lich King Event

Okay a friend of mine was wondering if standing on the plateau during the lich king event so he just walks by and you dont have to worry about his aura and what not. In my opinion i think that its legit because its a piece of terrain blizzard put in the game. Like the statue in karazhan where people fought curator. Any other opinions?

Re: HoR Lich King Event

It's obviously not intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio
    It's obviously not intended.
    This.

It's not dramatic how the Lich King is slowly walking away from you, and all the dangerous creatures he summons racing backwards. It doesn't make any sense, makes the encounter (achievement) trivially easy and obviously not intended.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Loklar
    This.

It's not dramatic how the Lich King is slowly walking away from you, and all the dangerous creatures he summons racing backwards. It doesn't make any sense, makes the encounter (achievement) trivially easy and obviously not intended.
    not claiming that its intended just wondering if you guys feel blizzard could legitimately do anything to you for doing something like that. Dont believe thats breaking any rules

Quote Originally Posted by Varithimas
    not claiming that its intended just wondering if you guys feel blizzard could legitimately do anything to you for doing something like that. Dont believe thats breaking any rules
    they alrdy said in some blue post this was an exploit, and they were working on a way to nerf it

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by dannzi
    they alrdy said in some blue post this was an exploit, and they were working on a way to nerf it
    got a link for the blue post?

Anybody find out what happens when you use that "tactic" and get burried alongside with Arthas because you trailed too far behind?

You run through the rocks and loot.
    EU|Dragonmaw|Alliance|Glittersmith

There are no repercussions to doing some thing that does not involve hacking the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolfe
    There are no repercussions to doing some thing that does not involve hacking the game.
    Exodus says hi.

Anyway, I don't understand what this 'exploit' is. Do you mean that you're actually standing by the ledge where you enter the gauntlet, and then have mobs running all the way from the Lich King to you? If so, that sounds like it could be a lot worse than doing it the regular way, as the time it takes the mobs to reach you would give the Lich King more time to reach Jaina/Sylvanas.

Although I may be wrong, of course. I just can't imagine any 'exploit' that'd make it easier, unless it was bugging the Lich King so he didn't move at all. Anyone care to elaborate?

I don't understand the exploit... Arthas isn't trying to kill us, he's trying to kill sylvanas. In his target of target, he's going after Jaina or sylvanas. How will us being behind him help in any way? Once he catches her he'll still kill her anyways

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Windspast
    I don't understand the exploit... Arthas isn't trying to kill us, he's trying to kill sylvanas. In his target of target, he's going after Jaina or sylvanas. How will us being behind him help in any way? Once he catches her he'll still kill her anyways
    But when he does, he will go BOOM:The Lich King's FURY OF FROSTMOURNE hit you for 20000 (980000 overkill)

Yes, it does actually hit you for 1mill dmg.
    Summergale 85 Paladin - Holy/Prot dual specced.
    The Insane Progress:
    Steamweedle: Exalted (done: 999/1000)
    Bloodsail: Honored (done: 1618/12000)
    Darkmoon: Friendly (in progress: 275/6000)
    Ravenholdt: Revered (in progres: 4000/21000)

A better question is why would you even want to do that? It doesn't speed the encounter up. Is it that hard to just do it as it was intended?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

IDK, some people think its easier but i think its close to the same. I was posting just to see if Blizzard could do anything to you for doing this. Its kind of like when people stood on the statue for Curator to be out of range of the sparks, they couldn't do anything to people who did that.

For those who aren't understanding the strategy he's talking about:

You can either run out onto the plateau out of Arthas' path, or just stay in the room with him and let him walk out ahead of you. Either way, he won't begin his aoe until he's away from you.

After that, you follow him. This makes the encounter much easier. How, you ask?

First, Arthas isn't chasing you. He's chasing Jaina. (Or, I suppose, Sylvanas for Horde) His summoned mobs aren't chasing her, they're chasing you.

Second, the heroine will get thru the barrier as soon as you completely kill the entire wave of mobs, regardless of where you are. And there's NOT a lot of time issues for the mobs to get to you, especially since the zombies leap thru the air, essentially flying to you.

This eliminates the component of being trapped between his AOE effect and the barrier and having only so much time, and increasingly less space, to kill all the mobs.

IF you are behind the cave-in when Arthas gets trapped, no worries, you can actually run right thru the rocks. "It's all an illusion"

To answer the origonal poster's question, NO, there are no repercussions for doing this. Blizzard will not penalize you in any way. However, it is NOT consistent with how they want this fight mechanic to work, so don't be surprised when they fix it so that you can't use this strategy anymore.

Good luck, have fun

Up until a random 2 days ago I had thought about letting him go by instead of killing in front of him, never tried it because we never wiped doing it the "hard" way.

The last 2 days we let him walk by run up about 10 yards behind him, pile up and go to town. It is 100% easier but not fun by any means. Makes it just as boring as every other heroic with no chance of dying.

The only thing they could do to fix is it to make the path narrow enough so you couldn't get behind him. Exploit? Bug? Not in any sense of the words.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Turin777

To answer the origonal poster's question, NO, there are no repercussions for doing this. Blizzard will not penalize you in any way. However, it is NOT consistent with how they want this fight mechanic to work, so don't be surprised when they fix it so that you can't use this strategy anymore.

Good luck, have fun
    Thanks, i figured they couldn't do anything, just nice to clarify to make sure theses random pugs wouldnt get me into trouble.

Also, look what the achievement is called. It IS intended.

Quote Originally Posted by plee
    Also, look what the achievement is called. It IS intended.
    That's called a joke.

Freakin' awesome signature is by JustintimeSS

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by caanan
    A better question is why would you even want to do that? It doesn't speed the encounter up. Is it that hard to just do it as it was intended?
    oh yes it does cuz ur standing right behind the lich king the whole even so you dont have to wait forever for the mobs to get to you. it is the fastest way to do that part of the instance.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"