How much mana does OoC actually save?

Hi there, I've recently tossed out all mana-saving or mana-reg talents save for OoC on my Boomkin. Still, the only times I've run oom so far were when spamming hurricane for the better part of a 5-man. Right now I haven't specced Typhoon, but come Saurfang, I'll probably want to have it. So I'm wondering whether I could afford dropping OoC. How much mana does it actually save? (I don't usually break rotation for OoC procs as Boomkin.)

I currently have ~19k mana and ~400 mp5(out) unbuffed. The alternative would be to drop one point in IIS. What do you think?

Re: How much mana does OoC actually save?

Post your armory pls

Well one reason you want to keep it is so that you can upgrade to 2 pc tier 10 (if you havent already).

What I have read (I am a balance druid) is that OCC is our best mana saving talent.

But I would like to see your armory too. Maybe if you mana regen is so insane you are a spirit stacker (which is BAD) although I too would like to see.

Deleted

Omen should never be dropped imo. Best thing you can do is drop one of the less useful talents from balance to grab typhoon. 1 point from IIS generally doesn't hurt much.

I don't know how you spec, but I have always specced this

There is no need for the other mana talents unless if its heroic Anub and you are unlucky with the OoC procs under hurricane.
    I don't get this game

Thanks for the replies so far! Here's my armory. (I logged out in my tank gear, though. :P)

I have mostly badge gear and some ICC 5-man stuff, haven't had much chance to raid in 3.2. No t10 yet. I don't stack spirit intentionally but it's on some of the gear anyway, I currently have 758 spirit unbuffed. Look me up on wow-heroes or some such if you need to see the gear.

But the general idea seems to be that OoC saves a lot of mana and shouldn't be dropped.

Deleted

Your return mana on OOC is the highest you can have, apart from actually being in moonkin form (which is around 70+ of my direct mana regen). Its difficult to calculate the value of OoC, because you might use it on a barkskin, or you might use it on a hurricane cast. On the other hand, for actual value, theres nowhere else that you could benefit more from that talent point, so you might as well keep it

In the end, it all depends on what you are actually doing. One point in IS loses you 1% damage on wrath and 1% crit on starfire. That is effectively a 1% damage loss. Wilfully dropping something like that for *typhoon* is daft, unless you are doing PvP. For PvE, Typhoon has very few uses, and i would never drop any talents that effects the abilities that are the majority of my damage.

Yeah, I've been Moonkin since 3.0 and never specced Typhoon yet, but as my guild is contemplating an ICC raid in the nearer future, I've been thinking about speccing it to knock back some adds, on Saurfang in particular.

1 point IIS shouldn't be 1 % DPS as not all my DPS comes from Wrath and Starfire. More around 0.6-0.7 %, I would guess. It's DPS vs. versatility, I'll have to consider it. But my question has been answered, everyone seems to agree that dropping OoC isn't a good idea. Thanks again!

Deleted

Typhoon, even if you were to cast it whenever the CD is up, would probably be less than 1% of your overall damage in that fight, unless you had it glyphed and had several targets to hit. You might want the knockback, but i haven't had a need to have it for aaages. There are so few fights where it has some utility, and considering you "might" only need it for 3-4 fights, compared to you keeping your dots up all the time anyways, i cannot justify taking a point out of IIS.

I agree with Qieth that it's not worth dropping IIS to get Typhoon. However, I do think it's worthwhile dropping a point in Gale Winds to pick it up. There are very few boss fights that require significant amounts of AoE, however there are plenty of fights with lots of movement that you could use it for, plus Saurfang for the knockback.

On a similar note I'd be tempted to drop the other point from Gale Winds to put into Owlkin Frenzy. I suspect it would be worth it for the majority of fights, but might need to do a bit of napkin math to work it out (cbf atm ).

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Yeah, I know gale winds are objectionable, I'm keeping it because I'm running a lot of 5-mans where I spam hurricane but I guess for a real raiding spec I should be dropping it.

Deleted

I don't have Gale Winds. I only AOE on trash, and trash doesn't matter :P Owlkin Frenzy isn't excactly staggering DPS, but it does help, and it does make some quite fun crits

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't have Gale Winds. I only AOE on trash, and trash doesn't matter :P Owlkin Frenzy isn't excactly staggering DPS, but it does help, and it does make some quite fun crits
    And the proc sound is awesome :P