Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted

Re: Which proffessions should I choose as resto shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by Primaryjane
    How many threads are there on these forums about "which profession should I take?" Eventually people will learn that they are personal preferences, and that if the extra few points in any given stat will not make or break your performance. If you really need the extra 20 SP that one will give you over another, there are bigger issues than what a profession can help you with. Pick what interests you and quit asking about it. Thanks, and good luck.
    Not many? In the last month for restoration this is one of the first threads ive seen. Also what difference does it make? Well im pretty sure most raiding guilds wont be happy if you were using mining/skinning, when you could be getting 42 haste from JC and 40 more haste from BS. Its not just an extra "20 sp" its normally alot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitond
    Personally I love engineering for resto (both PvE and PvP). It take a smarter player to manage (and remember) their engineering cooldowns, but if you can do it then it's more beneficial than some other professions.

You get:
    Nitro boots: They can save your butt in case your a little slow to react to something. If used wisely they can also let you get a few more heals off durring movement fights. They also give a static 24 crit rating, *but you give up 7mp5 or 15 stam + minor movement speed form enchants.*

Hyperspeed Accelerators: 340 haste for 12 seconds with 1 min cooldown. In essence, 20% up time if you use them on cooldown. I'm pretty sure that equals 68 haste when balanced out, although I'm terrible at math. (340 * .2 = 68) If your a troll you can get 2+ mini bloodlusts during a fight by macroing these with berserking. *By taking engineering you cant get 28 spell power to gloves enchant.*

Some numbers on Chain Heal with WoA down:
    Base gear (1211 Haste) - 36.93% - 1.74 sec cast
    *as a base reference* Lust - 1.34 sec cast
    Gloves - (1551 Haste) - 47.30% - 1.62 sec cast
    Troll Racial - (20% cast speed) - 1.45 sec cast
    Troll Racial + Gloves - 1.35 sec cast
    Lust + Gloves + Racial - 1.04 sec cast

You can macro the gloves to chain heal to use it every time its up, macro it to racial (if your troll), or just use it when you feel necessary. I macro mine to racial for a very nice haste boost. You can usually get 2+ uses during a fight.

Frag Belt: 750-1k damage + 3 sec stun. Pretty useless in PvE, but it doesn't take up your belt buckle so its free and you can cast it on the move (only practical use would be a FC type fight or if you get aggro on trash)

Springy Arachoweave: +27 sp to cloak and slowfall on use. Again, pretty useless in PvE since most of the time +23 Haste will be better, but it could have some uses for a tank healing set.

Mind Amplify dish
    : +45 stam and an on use MC (uses helm Glyph spot). Useless in PvE, but fun to use in PvP

The main reason you would choose engineering for PvE is for the gloves (if your terrible with cooldowns, just macro it to Chain Heal and be done with it) and the boots are very nice in situations also. You also get plenty of other useful gadgets like jeeves, wormhole generator, mote extractor, bank, etc... People that say engineering is useless in PvE are misinformed.

But err back to topic... my rating would be form best to worst: 1. JC, 2. Engineering or BS, 3. Alchemy, 4. Tailoring/LW/Enchanting/Inscription.

I don't really like nitro boots for pve, just because of the loss on runspeed (I still think they are one of the coolest things ingame tho). On constant moving fights like professer for example, runspeed enchant will be alot more helpful for getting into position and setting up heals agian.
    The accelerators are good, especially for pvp, but I personally don't like on use things. Especially with haste, I like to make sure I have a certain vaule of haste so my heals are a certain cast time. Depending on an extra 68 doesn't really work as the majority of the time you wont have it. Also you need to compare a use haste or a constant 28 spell power.(you are right about it giving 68haste balanced out). Then it also doesn't really give you the same customisation as other proffesions, you can't choose to stack int or sp which engineering like you can with JC + BS ( you never know how our stat prefrences might change).

I understand what your saying Pearroc. I switched my 2nd profession recently to engendering. I debated BS vs Eng for a while and kept going back and forth. I finally decided to do both (BS with my alt pally). BS/JC does give the best flexibility, but my main point to get across was its not a bad profession and it can be utilized in PvE.

The main reason I didn't go BS on my Shaman was because I'm afraid what Blizzard will to to professions in Cataclysm and I don't wanna farm the mats all over to level another profession. Personally I think BS should be able to craft mail armor, but it doesn't . Besides the sockets, theirs nothing to benefit me as a resto shaman, whereas engineering does. Although If you don't use your engineering cooldowns then it IS a wasted profession and I would discourage anyone who isn't comfortable with monitoring these cooldowns away form engineering.

Not to mention the PvP benefits of engineering. I know this wasn't about PvP, but if your on a PvP server, is bound to happen ;D

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Burning+Blade&cn=Ap%C3%A1che

Quote Originally Posted by pearroc
    Not many? In the last month for restoration this is one of the first threads ive seen. Also what difference does it make? Well im pretty sure most raiding guilds wont be happy if you were using mining/skinning, when you could be getting 42 haste from JC and 40 more haste from BS. Its not just an extra "20 sp" its normally alot more.

I don't really like nitro boots for pve, just because of the loss on runspeed (I still think they are one of the coolest things ingame tho). On constant moving fights like professer for example, runspeed enchant will be alot more helpful for getting into position and setting up heals agian.
    The accelerators are good, especially for pvp, but I personally don't like on use things. Especially with haste, I like to make sure I have a certain vaule of haste so my heals are a certain cast time. Depending on an extra 68 doesn't really work as the majority of the time you wont have it. Also you need to compare a use haste or a constant 28 spell power.(you are right about it giving 68haste balanced out). Then it also doesn't really give you the same customisation as other proffesions, you can't choose to stack int or sp which engineering like you can with JC + BS ( you never know how our stat prefrences might change).
    To each his own. I'll be honest, I didn't pick up Engineering to min/max, I've had it since TBC. I love engineering for all the non-raiding perks, and it just so happens that the gloves are amazing (IMO). JC on the other hand, I did level purely for the stat bonuses.

I see your point about the run speed enchant, but I honestly think it all evens out really. I gotta say, being able to fly across the room with rocket boots has saved a tank many times, try doing that with run speed =D.

15+ Year Old Account

People on theese forums always manage to suprise me with their stupidity.

As resto shaman you want as much haste as possible as I hope you know, so ofcourse you should pick the only 2 proffessions who can provide you with haste "buffs".
    Jewelcrafting and blacksmithing are the only ones doing that as you gain 42 haste from jewelcrafting + 40 haste from blacksmithing which gives you a total of 82 more haste from proffessions only.
    Engineering is a good proffession for elemental, but your GCD's are way more valuable as resto, you would have to spend a GCD popping the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Eel

As resto shaman you want as much haste as possible as I hope you know, so ofcourse you should pick the only 2 proffessions who can provide you with haste "buffs".
    Jewelcrafting and blacksmithing are the only ones doing that as you gain 42 haste from jewelcrafting + 40 haste from blacksmithing which gives you a total of 82 more haste from proffessions only.
    Engineering is a good proffession for elemental, but your GCD's are way more valuable as resto, you would have to spend a GCD popping the belt.
    People on these forums do indeed surprise me with their stupidity. You are one of those people.

All the non gathering profs are just about the same. If you want me to post a math wall to prove it just ask.

It's gloves not belt, and it's not on the GCD. So fail. JC+Engi is equal to about 110 passive haste as well, so again who is the stupid one? I'm all fine with people picking up BS/JC if they prefer straight stats to an on use, or what have you, but calling people stupid for picking up engineering just shows how little you actually know. Trying doing some research yourself instead of looking something up on EJ or some similar site and then pretending you know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic
    It's gloves not belt, and it's not on the GCD. So fail. JC+Engi is equal to about 110 passive haste as well, so again who is the stupid one?
    He's probably talking about the cobalt frag belt... Argh. Fine. You dorks made me do math. Check out how identical they all are:

JC: +48 SP. Replace 3 +23 SP reds with +39 SP reds. Alternatively you can have +42 haste.
    Alch: +47 SP. Mixology. And you have to reflask less.
    BS: +46 SP. 2 extra sockets w/ 2 extra +23 SP reds. Alternatively you can have +40 haste.
    Ench: +46 SP. 2 ring enchants. And you can shard.
    Inscription: +46 SP. From the shoulder enchant. And you get to not care about Hodir. Or his sons.
    LW: +46 SP. Wrist enchant.
    Tailoring: Random proc. +98 SP if you have 100% uptime. Which you won't. At the cost of 23 haste.
    Eng: +68 haste at the cost of 28 SP gloves. +27 SP -23 haste back. +12 crit and rocket boots at the cost of run speed. Or at the cost of whatever boot enchant you were going to use. +fishing. Who the hell knows what you were going to put on it before you became an engineer.

So you see... They are all worth +46 to +48 SP. It's almost as if someone somewhere sat down with a pencil and paper and decided to make them ALL FUCKING EQUAL so that endless forum whining would stop.

Edit: Hey, look, someone else did this already. Silly me. l2google. elitistjerks mage forum frost raiding 3.3 first post. Who knew.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Blitond
    I understand what your saying Pearroc. I switched my 2nd profession recently to engendering. I debated BS vs Eng for a while and kept going back and forth. I finally decided to do both (BS with my alt pally). BS/JC does give the best flexibility, but my main point to get across was its not a bad profession and it can be utilized in PvE.

The main reason I didn't go BS on my Shaman was because I'm afraid what Blizzard will to to professions in Cataclysm and I don't wanna farm the mats all over to level another profession. Personally I think BS should be able to craft mail armor, but it doesn't . Besides the sockets, theirs nothing to benefit me as a resto shaman, whereas engineering does. Although If you don't use your engineering cooldowns then it IS a wasted profession and I would discourage anyone who isn't comfortable with monitoring these cooldowns away form engineering.

Not to mention the PvP benefits of engineering. I know this wasn't about PvP, but if your on a PvP server, is bound to happen ;D

Yeh they are good points

Go away troll.
    As much haste as possable? After soft cap the haste vaule drops by nearly one Hep vaule (all depending current gear). But I guess we are all stupid to know that. Also what GCD on gloves? Last time I checked it was off the GCD. Oh wait sorry, forgot we are to stupid to see that! oh wait...
    Now i've been saying how BS+JC is best, but without being a douchebag about it.

Basically the point is they all give around the same stats. But the big thing is with JC+BS you get the ability to change what stats you need. No other profession offers this much flexability.

Also this has now been covered in the FAQ, I added it in 2 days ago.

15+ Year Old Account

1, 2, 3 all good times lucky, I just love reactions!

Yes, I fail for not knowing the engineering stuff, I never had engineering and I shouldnt state something I don't know.
    Sorry.
    Engineering is not a bad choice in that case, could work if you are into gadgets.

Sure the haste value drop in hep points, but it's still the most desired stat after that. Going over 1269 is still very fine.
    Going over 1400 is stupid so as long as you dont cross the 1400 you will still gain most from those 2 proffessions, specially since it is gonna be hard reaching 1400+ unless you are taking non BiS items.

Oh and, i was never a fan of your guide.

About the spellpower pointer to all the proffessions, at 2500+ spellpower, the more spellpower you got the more overhealing you are likely to do pr. heal aka a wasted stat which is why we go for haste and not spellpower since haste provides us faster heals while still having a decent heal rate.

I also never claimed Engineering was stupid as you claim i did (uuuuh, someone needs glasses), no, I said it is better for elemental.
    I will anytime much rather be a douchebag with 1/10 wrong info, than a clueless bug. Do the math.

Deleted

When you make your first comment on a thread saying "People on theese forums always manage to suprise me with their stupidity" comes of negative and makes you seem like a troll? It also implys that you think people are stupid for their desion of vauling engineering. I have been saying since the start of this thread that JC+BS was best, so I don't see how that makes me a "clueless bug" unless you were saying this to others.

15+ Year Old Account

It was for someone else, I never implied it was pointed at you.

And yeah, I think people are stupid, not for the engineering part but saying that every proffession is the same when it's not and far from. I will always be saying exactly what I think, and I love discussions!

And yeah, I think people are stupid, not for the engineering part but saying that every proffession is the same when it's not and far from. I will always be saying exactly what I think, and I love discussions!
    No. Every non gathering profession is indeed THE EXACT SAME. Unless you are a caster class where +82 haste > +94 SP. Which is never the case. Ever. Not even for resto shaman.

They. Are. All. The. Same.

15+ Year Old Account

Yes, that is infact exactly the case. 82 haste > 94 spellpower.

Quote Originally Posted by jontaxe
    No. Every non gathering profession is indeed THE EXACT SAME. Unless you are a caster class where +82 haste > +94 SP. Which is never the case. Ever. Not even for resto shaman.

They. Are. All. The. Same.

Meh. If healing was like DPS in the sense that bigger numbers are always better, I might agree (probably not), but it's not. With healing stats are very situational. For example, healing heroic Twins haste is definitely the better stat, it's heavy and constant raid damage, the more chain heals you put out the better. A fight like Anub where you aren't using chian heal, SP might be more beneficial to you.

Any healer worth his salt knows that you can never say something like "82 haste being greater than 94 SP is never the case". This is why JC/BS is pretty much the best combo. BS gives you extra sockets, which you can fill with ANY stat, and the JC gems allow you more flexibility than any other profession as well.

If I didn't love engineering so much, I'd drop it for BS. I'm more than willing to admit BS is better in general. However, I do love having an extra cooldown to blow during periods of heavy damage, if a healer dies, or if things just get hectic. I'm a troll too so having the gloves +berserking is nice at times, but normally I like to save berserking as more of an "oh shit" button. Some fights I'll just use my CH/gloves macro and have it up as much as possible, others I save it for a specific time. I like having that option.

So no, all professions are NOT created equal. Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic
    For example, healing heroic Twins haste is definitely the better stat, it's heavy and constant raid damage, the more chain heals you put out the better. A fight like Anub where you aren't using chian heal, SP might be more beneficial to you.

Any healer worth his salt knows that you can never say something like "82 haste being greater than 94 SP is never the case". This is why JC/BS is pretty much the best combo. BS gives you extra sockets, which you can fill with ANY stat, and the JC gems allow you more flexibility than any other profession as well.

So no, all professions are NOT created equal. Not at all.
    First, are you going to regem for every fight? If not, then it doesn't matter one bit if BS is more flexible or that haste is better on valkyrs than anub.

80 haste will save you roughly .04 seconds on a chain heal. ~.05 on a HW, ~.03 on a LHW. Against 96 SP. If you really, really, really think that .04 seconds at the cost of 96 SP is such a HUUUUUGGGEEE advantage to BS/JC then by all means, go for it. I could sit here and give you math that shows you that 96 SP will give you more HPS than 80 haste, but it won't matter if I do.

Me? I'm going to consider +.04 sec & -96 SP to be within a reasonable range of "equal".

Quote Originally Posted by jontaxe
    First, are you going to regem for every fight? If not, then it doesn't matter one bit if BS is more flexible or that haste is better on valkyrs than anub.

80 haste will save you roughly .04 seconds on a chain heal. ~.05 on a HW, ~.03 on a LHW. Against 96 SP. If you really, really, really think that .04 seconds at the cost of 96 SP is such a HUUUUUGGGEEE advantage to BS/JC then by all means, go for it. I could sit here and give you math that shows you that 96 SP will give you more HPS than 80 haste, but it won't matter if I do.

Me? I'm going to consider +.04 sec & -96 SP to be within a reasonable range of "equal".
    I heard you could have different pieces of gear with different gems in them and swap them out. Prolly just a rumor though.