how to fix the balance problem between pve and pvp ?

What if... spells worked in a certain way in PvE, and in a modified/reduced way when flagged for PvP ?

Just a thought, let the flaming begin -.-

Re: how to fix the balance problem between pve and pvp ?

This is both new and inovative.

If blizzard wanted to do this they would have done it long ago... There are some other mmo's that have dual stats on items and abilties. One for PvE and one for PvP.
    It is a great way to balance both parts of gameplay seperately.

BUT - Blizzard is determined to make WoW a simple and plain as possible. The simplification of stats in cataclysm would confirm this I guess.
    Any post or reply from me is based on the knowledge and thought patterns relative to my mind. They are, in all fairness, subjective.
    I don't deal in absolutes as I believe in learning and adapting. My every action is a result of calculation and choice.

Some do already, Blizzard said that makes the game feel too much different in PvP/PvE and it would take a long time to do it right, not to mention it would be like learning 2 different games.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Bobzor, your input is both new and inovative.

What I have seen in other games is a kind of buff/debuff.

When you enter into an instanced PvP setup you get a buff / debuff that averages your HP... so if you have a tank in there with 55k hp, and a caster with 10k both would end up with 33k hp. The tank would still have his crazy mitigation, the caster would be squishy, but both would have the same hp.

Also there is a damage debuff - everyone does 45% less damage across the board. This sounds terribad but it made for some great skirmishes.

The caveat was that only heal over time spells can be used. This allowed the healers to shed some of the blame - as once they put the 2 or 3 hots up they had... they moved on to the next target taking damage, or ran away from the dps trying to kill them etc. They were more involved in the battle and less of a target standing still spamming holy light.

This allowed people to pvp pretty much any time - if you had great gear - cool you still did more damage and took a bigger beating than the average bear, but if you had crummy gear it wasn't overly obvious so you weren't an insta-gib target. More importantly it slowed the whole process down so you could react to situations without engaging your fast-twitch muscle fiber or overly taxing your reaction time. Ultimately the guys with the gear still end up dominating, but its less of a steam roll and more of a fight. Just makes it more interesting for the people wanting to compete, but without the retarded gear disparity that makes killing a discipline priest guarding a tower a nightmare.

Might be awful for wow, but it made for some great pvp epic-esk battles.

I mean there is little that is LESS-cool, then getting one-shot'd by a mage or a rogue. It is also less cool to try to put down a prot paladin / warrior with 50k hp and 60% avoidance for 4 straight mins while you wait for the flag/tower/gy/whatever to switch to his side.

Luck, often enough, will save a man, should his courage hold.

Deleted

Easiest way: make different talent trees for PvE and PvP.

It seems to me that they are going a different route to address the pvp issues across the board, and that is the mastery mechanic they are adding, its going to free up like 10-15 points in which you will be able to put into pvp so you always have pvp survivability.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Maronics
    Easiest way: make different talent trees for PvE and PvP.
    Old news as well, been discussed over here on MMO Champion far too often too. Thing is, how would you want Blizzard to go about implementing something like that? Add a 4th tree and call it PvP? Or, double the number of talent trees? 3 for PvE and 3 for PvP? Either scenario is going to be messy.

Or, did you want them to go back to 2 trees for PvE and 1 for PvP? Besides, even if you do go with PvP specific trees, what's to prevent people from speccing PvE in PvP anyhow? Or vice versa? See what I'm getting at... it isn't an answer. It just complicates matters more actually.

they did it to druids. maim does does reduced effect on player targets. why not just branch out from there. it being the only one i seen makes me feel hated

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzor
    This is both new and inovative.
    So is your fucking witty comment, innit douche?

See what I did there?

Deleted

Yea, that'd be great and I don't really see any good reason not to do so. I think they will at some point, or atleast they will in their new MMO. I mean, Guildwars had the best PvP of all MMOs hands down. Blizzard should learn from it.

get rid of pvp