Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Making a tank - need advice

The difference is procs.

Pallies follow the same rotation: Hit everything when it's off CD.

Warriors have a priority system, we have to change our rotation as we go along. If you want to do decent threat that is. If you want to be that warrior that actually loses threat to dps/offtanks, then sure, just randomly hit buttons.

Also you forgot shockwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantimirlol
    U obviously never played a paladin tank. Its not only 1 button.
    It is, I use 1 button for whole rotation.

15+ Year Old Account

To be fair, using a macro wont give the max amount of threat.

That being said it's still way more than any dps can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster
    Paladin is the easieast, just one button to hit.
    Ah I know your kind, the kind were you do great with tard dps which the LFG tool has a lot to offer but with any competent DPS they have to hold back and even then pull aggro because you want to be shit at your role.

My first toon to 80 was my prot pally and I still find it quite fun, I make heroics more fun by mass pulling. First boss HoL I pull an entire group with the boss, AN I pull all the groups of 3 right before boss etc. If all I did was press concecrate or mash a macro I wouldn't be able to do my job properly.

Edit: On topic I vote roll pally tank, very versatile (fantastic OT and MT abilities, multi mob or single target threat is fantastic), awesome survivability and if you want a change of pace you have 2 completely different roles to choose from.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay
    Ah I know your kind, the kind were you do great with tard dps which the LFG tool has a lot to offer but with any competent DPS they have to hold back and even then pull aggro because you want to be shit at your role.
    For what it's worth....
    Code:
    /castsequence reset=5 Holy Shield,Hammer of the Righteous,Judgement of Light,shield of righteousness,Consecration,Hammer of the Righteous,Holy Shield,shield of righteousness,Judgement of Light,Hammer of the Righteous,Consecration,shield of righteousness
    Is said to do nice threat, and I've seen pallies come close to me in threat with it. Close tho, no farther than that.

I don't play a pally tho, so I wouldn't know first hand.

To the OP: as above posters, anyone has his own idea and I bet many try to defend their own class, nothing wrong, and blame other classes sometimes, a bit wrong. I've been playing a warrior tank since TBC and yet I've fun to play it. Leveling a paladin, he's 76 now, as prot aswell and having fun too even if he's 'LOLZ AMG 1 BUTTON SRS BSNSS BRO' .. kidding.. and even if that, I'm enjoying it. I think it's based on your own style of playing, you can like a class that facerolls but not because of that. And most of the time don't follow people that say 'AMG U FACEROLL U SHUD L2P SRSLY MY CLASS TAKES MORE EFFORT!!!!!1111!!!1ONE!!11'
    Do what you prefer doing.
    Real tanks don't use that foo foo magic stuff...we use steel and harsh language.

My faith in humanity before WotLK : ------|---
    after : -|--------

Quote Originally Posted by seam
    The difference is procs.

Pallies follow the same rotation: Hit everything when it's off CD.

Warriors have a priority system, we have to change our rotation as we go along. If you want to do decent threat that is. If you want to be that warrior that actually loses threat to dps/offtanks, then sure, just randomly hit buttons.

Also you forgot shockwave.

procs? U mean refresh cd on shield slam?
    and no i didnt forget shockwave but it is quite big cd to include in rotation (also skiped avanger shield with pallys for same reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorune
    Its not so much hate, i think the reason why so many people complain about Dk's is the issue that as with hunters there is just to many 'new' players playing it, to play a Dk fairly ok u can basicly faceroll on your keyboard, but to be a real good one it takes skill, as is the case with more classes, but it becomes really appearant with classes like hunters, dk, paladins.

Other then that, a Dk tank is just plain boring to play due to the run mechanic. Basicly your rotation is always the same due to your runes. Yes the runic power adds a few abilities in there, but definately not enough to spice it up.
    I just want to say as well, DK tanks for some reason atm take huge damage spikes, no chance to block and nothing to stop them taking full swings.
    In 10man festergut our DK tank with 50K hp gets 2 shot, but yet our druid or warrior tank is fine, doesnt even go below 60%
    i play warrior and tank is my OS. i find it fun sometimes when i can be bothered to tank.

I would like to thank everyone for the really nice replies you have given me.

I did decide after reading a bit more about warriors and druids (which was the 2 classes that interested me most) to go ahead and make a druid.

It does seem a bit simpler for a beginner tank, and I can also heal a bit if I would like to.

Both classes seem very interesting, but this time the druid won

Have a nice weekend all posters, and thanks for your coments

warrior is my only tank.

yes druids have ridiculous aoe threat gen with the 360 swipe.
    consacrate can pick up stuff easy, same with D&D.

on aoe of 5+ mobs you are pretty much sol and rage starved unless you pick them up.
    heroic throw is awesome for picking up range adds without having to LoS, deathgrip is better admittedly.
    so warriors arn't easy to do aoe threat with.

warriors dominate all 4 classes on single target. warriors are built as the best single target, druid probably comes in at second place.

hes my only tank so i can't do the chart saying "easy-hard" "fun-boring". but i can say i have a blast on him and on single target, as long as the hunter uses feign(which any tank says the same unless they massivly out gear them) i can hold threat on anybody with ease. so i say he is indeed very fun, and not hard to play.

also, what i can say, is that healers love warriors and paladins much more than druids and DKs because warriors take consistant damage because we have less parry/dodge than the average DK/druid AND we have sheild block to mitigate just sooo much damage. with a druid its either 11k or 0. with a warrior its most likely 7-8k. so when a druid has a bad rng, hes getting obliterated and healers go nuts on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifer2005
    Turning Off Experience has ruined BGs!

if i were you man i would make a druid cause they aren't too hard to learn very versatile in roles you can tank, melee dps, heal and caster dps. Paladins are too boring and the only real fun tank class imho is the warrior which i play (yes played 3 tank classes) the warrior is imho the most fun to play, very challenging aoe tanking requires somewhat practice / skill and ur busy all the time in stead of just consecration and huray!

So if ur up for bit of challenges / learning / improving: Warrior if not druid.

What i haven't read (sorry i didn't read all posts) is that warriors do have 1 or 2 downsides. To be damn good your gears need to be damn good aswell. But with the increasing awesomeness of gears comes rage starvation which requires adjustment to your tanking techniques. Afaik druids don't share this problem as their rage income increases when they get better gear.