Thread: HL vs FoL

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: HL vs FoL

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdream
    Because I don't need them. My other paladin healing buddy brings the imp. Conc aura and we have a shammy for the mana (non)issue.
    It's usually better for the Pally to pick up Imp BoW rather than letting the Shaman do it. People aren't always in the range of totems and it allows the Shaman to drop Healing Stream or Cleansing Totem instead.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag
    @Nonslid
    go HL. if the fight will be easy, you can still use FoL. if the fight will be hard, you will use HL.

but if you will be FoL'er and fight will be hard enough to FoL... your raid will die. i think this will be FoL'ers destiny in pre-last wing of ICC10, LK10 and all the hard modes.
    Okey thanks Been retri a while, and the guild decided they needed me as holy, so nwe to healing in WotLK (Was holy TBC tho)
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

For healing in 25 ICC I would really have to say Holy Light. Flash of Light just doesn't have the throughput. Festergut with 3 inhales hits like one crazy mother fucker and I just really don't think flash of light would do it.
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

You're all forgetting the most important thing: Paladins have both HL and FoL for a reason.

If you guys either:
    a) actually spam HL only (no shock or flash or sacred shield or flash HoT)
    b) actually spam FoL and Shock only

Then you should be kicked out of raid for putting more weight on other healers in healing.

IMO (I'm sure many people will agree with me here), holy paladin should be on tanks primarily in terms of healing assign with HL and sacred shield + FoL HoT rolling. Note however, this does not limit you in spamming HL only on the tank with beacon. You should be prepraed to roll Shock + FoL on either oter healers who recieved burst of raid dmg and several ranged dpses since shammies can ideally handle the melees with their heals. Also, I find myself casting HL on dps or other healers sometimes when they receive 10k++ dmg from either fire or w/e. If that happens chances are ill quickly throw in Shock + Flash... and ofc other healers (druid in my case) will roll HoT or w/e to keep tanks alive while I'm not throwing in HL to keep them at optimum health.

I noticed I'm getting slightly off the track from my own post, I gues the point I want to make is that you shouldn't just spam either FoL or HL in the raid. From many poster's post it seems like they're saying that they are hardcore FoL or HL spammer or want others to do one or the other. Don't just spam a single spell. The game isn't designed for you to just simply spam one spell and refresh god-like buff (beacon). Sure, diffrent bosses will require you to cast one of FoL or HL more than the other. Like for example, marrowgar will defeinitely require you to keep HL casted on the tank with beacon on OT. but that doesnt mean you shouldnt cast FoL at all in the fight. maybe in situations wehre hes doing ww, you might wanan revert to FoL and heal the raid while refreshing beacon. throwing in HL to each raid or just sliding the job over to other the healer(s).

Check your recount for healing count after each boss. If the meters are saying 99% of your heals are from beacon + HL + judge of light, chances are you're just wasting mana and overhealing most of the time. IMO things will go better if you can manage the healings with HL + Shock + FoL bit equally. OFC in fights like marrowgar, which will require heavy tank healing, HL count will likely be much greater than shock + FoL. Just remember all the spells are there for reason.

FoL isn't optimal raid spec.

FoL faster? with full raid buff, my holy light is about 1.27 sec and FoL 0.99 sec. I don't think 0.3 sec will cause tank's death. I never stack any haste on my gear.

FoL dot nice? that dot doesn't stack and will be refreshed every time you cast FoL, which means, any paladin could keep up dot all the time. just 200 or 300 more per tick.

FoL crits more often? crit FoL still does less healing than non-crit holy light.

FoL costs less mana? I have never had any mana issues when spamming holy light. healing is really easy in wotlk if you had experience in sunwell. I have not found any boss that hit harder than brutallus. so it's pretty easy for holy paladin to heal tank since we have more powerful skill and talent.

also here is one advice for holy paladin, when you have 38000 mana unbuff, don't stack int any more. because now my mana bar is always almost full at the end of fight. I am thinking what I should stack now. sp is not good choice since overhealing is already too much. crit and mp5 not good either. probably holy paladin should stack haste to make casting time of holy light less than 1 sec.

Okay. Flash of light= HoT ONLY or raid heals on lets say festergut after pungeant blight with beacon on the tank. Otherwise, keep HoT up and spam HL

Quote Originally Posted by lyraorpheus
    FoL isn't optimal raid spec.

FoL faster? with full raid buff, my holy light is about 1.27 sec and FoL 0.99 sec. I don't think 0.3 sec will cause tank's death. I never stack any haste on my gear.

FoL dot nice? that dot doesn't stack and will be refreshed every time you cast FoL, which means, any paladin could keep up dot all the time. just 200 or 300 more per tick.

FoL crits more often? crit FoL still does less healing than non-crit holy light.

FoL costs less mana? I have never had any mana issues when spamming holy light. healing is really easy in wotlk if you had experience in sunwell. I have not found any boss that hit harder than brutallus. so it's pretty easy for holy paladin to heal tank since we have more powerful skill and talent.

also here is one advice for holy paladin, when you have 38000 mana unbuff, don't stack int any more. because now my mana bar is always almost full at the end of fight. I am thinking what I should stack now. sp is not good choice since overhealing is already too much. crit and mp5 not good either. probably holy paladin should stack haste to make casting time of holy light less than 1 sec.
    Pretty sure any paladins CANT roll FoL hots, and usually they go for 600~700 or more depending on paladins' SP...

And if by stacking haste you mean not prioritizing haste when you're gearing.. it'll be impossible to get 1.27 sec holy light. I get about 715 haste and I get around 1.35 ish HL cast time with 25 man raid buff

My guild rolls with two holy pallies. One stacks spellpower and rocks the FOL, shield, etc. The other pally stacks intellect and can holy light spam all day. Those two in combo with a disc priest and our tanks don't die. ;D It's not a matter of which is better. It's a matter of what you have available to you healer wise and what's needed. Holy light spamming pally makes up for the huge drops in damage while the other pally with FOL and shields keeps consistent hps up on the tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riek
    You're all forgetting the most important thing: Paladins have both HL and FoL for a reason.

If you guys either:
    a) actually spam HL only (no shock or flash or sacred shield or flash HoT)
    b) actually spam FoL and Shock only

Then you should be kicked out of raid for putting more weight on other healers in healing.
    I think few, if any, of the people who say "HL Spam" or "FoL Spam" actually mean spam. The thing they are talking about is "HL Builds" and "FoL Builds". Getting hung up on a technicality in wording doesn't really help the discussion.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

But as a side note: if you a FoL build, using HL is VERY VERY VERY mana inefficient and a horrid idea unless its absolutely dire.

If you are HL build, depending on the situation (and the amount of overheal), the sacred shield might not be worth the GCD and casting it could cause MORE stress on other healers.

And either spec should try to keep holy shock to the minimum. Its lower healing for similar mana cost to HoL, and similar healing to higher mana cost than FoL. Generally its main use is for infusion of light, which isnt that important in FoL unless you are super falling behind, and is quite un important for HL since we already decided that crit is far less valuable than other stats anyway.

For the very most part HL/FoL spam DOES mean just spamming those. Obviously there are times where you switch things up, but on a super hard hitting boss, your GCD's are often better spent on the spam.

uhhhh, u are saying ss might not be worth the gcd 1 time a min, so 5-8 times a fight tops, if u are geared for hl spam......WHA?????

ss 100% uptime, u have add ons to track this, u can make use of mouse over programs to apply at ease.

U DON'T PUT SS ON PLAYERS FOR THE WORTHLESS FOL HOT! it is a huge damage absorbtion tool that u should always have up, it's like saying a chainheal spamming shammy doensn't need to worry about keeping earthshield up.

i mean really, this is the kind of advice that can go on around here sometimes? jesus.

My thought on the matter is that both work fine for different situations. There are some guilds out there who like to do things the most optimal way, which i mean, who wouldn't? But there are some that want to and do and there are some that want to but do what they can. For instance, how many healers do you take to 25man icc? Since there is the feature of dual specing, it would be great to have members who can switch specs for bosses that require less/more healers. But with that feature aside, on average how many you take? 5 - 6?

This is what I think this matter comes down to. It's very situational. I have gone through all of WoTLK as a FoL holy pally. (well, when im holy) The only real time I had troubles was when were were running 4 heals on 25 patchwork. That was a fight where I had to HL a lot more. In Ulduar, in ToC and now in ICC, I have and will stick with FoL. My playstayle/raid members I run with allow me to be able to do use this spec very effectively and efficiently.

Yes, the arguement of "if you never run out of mana, why not cast HL". Well, you know what? Unless you are specced/geared/gemmed/enchanted for HL spec, it's alot harder to see how great it is. And making that change is harder to do when you are geared and have a playstyle completely different. For me, I have a very fast computer, I experience little to no casting lag at all so literally spamming FoL is very effective in that sense.

My gear is around Int, SP and Crit. Haste is useful but only up until around 500. My FoL cast is at 1.0sec (haven't checked the actually .xx amount) from quartz casting bars and when I get a trinket proc that increases my haste by 550, it drops it 0.9sec. So there are DR on the haste for a spell of that speed. Therefore the haste is not AS important, so I don't have tons. The mana cost/refund from crit allows me to literally spam it and basically never go oom. I have tried to use HL (as the same spec and gear) in 5mans and my mana does drop pretty dramatically.

For a HL spec, I would have to get a lot more haste and a LOT more mp5 to sustain the low cast time and mana pool. This is something that would have to come with time from revamping my gear (not just enchants/gems). Second, coming from someone who basically literally spams FoL, it's a completely different playstyle to change from. I'm used to casting my FoL all the time anyways, any 'down' time would be boring and I wouldn't know what to do.

Here's my breakdown/thoughts on the matter:

FoL - 1sec cast yields (most likely a crit) 7500-8000 (depending on buffs at the time)
    Follow that by an instant HS - yields ~10,000 (most likely a crit) - which then grants me an instant FoL
    Following a GCD -> FoL - Instant - 7500-8000

These three spells take approximately 2secs to cast. (2.5 if your computer is a little slow) and yields anywhere from 25,000 to 26,000 healing. Yes, one HL spell could yield the SAME amount (if crit) with less mana and a faster cast... so why would you use 3 spells to get the same effect as one? (or even better effect)
    It is because I can cast those three spells on three different raid members and get all that 25,000healing on the beacon'd tank over time, (almost like a hot). Which is some cases would actually yield MORE healing on the tank if damage was taken between those casts. Those three raid members each get around 7500-10000 healing rather than just one member (which lets face it, if you have druids and shaman's raid healing, they won't need to be fully healed by your heal alone)
    My case here demonstrates what I mean by my playstyle. I am a 'raid' healing paladin. I beacon tanks and heal the raid primarily. We don't ever assign healing assignments because the healers in our raids are actually quite confident. We all use addons and mods that allow use to make the best judgement as to who to heal and when. There are sometimes I see that a raid member won't need my heals by the time I would cast it, so I don't cast it.

Lastly added, I have done up to Saurfang in 25man and I keep healing this way. We have never had a healing problem, the only 'wipes' we suffer were from Saurfang himself with the dps being too low which THEN became a healing problem when too many people have marks on them.

Sorry for the wall of text

Quote Originally Posted by dyce09
    FoL - 1sec cast yields (most likely a crit) 7500-8000 (depending on buffs at the time)
    Follow that by an instant HS - yields ~10,000 (most likely a crit) - which then grants me an instant FoL
    Following a GCD -> FoL - Instant - 7500-8000

These three spells take approximately 2secs to cast. (2.5 if your computer is a little slow) and yields anywhere from 25,000 to 26,000 healing. Yes, one HL spell could yield the SAME amount (if crit) with less mana and a faster cast... so why would you use 3 spells to get the same effect as one? (or even better effect)
    I have three problems with this analysis

You suggest that this whole scenario takes up only 2 secs, but the final instant has invoked a GCD, which means that the healing has to be budgeted over 3 seconds +lag. That's close on 2.5 HLs for a BiS Holydin, which means they're equalling your 'every spell crits' scenario HPS with their 'no spell crits' scenario. Analysing it your way means HS alone is 10k in 0seconds - OMG INFINITE HPS!!!!!!

During that time you've healed 4 targets (including beacon), the HL pally has healed 3 - and is mid cast on a 4th. Not you healing 3 and him healing 1 - quite a different ratio.

Using the HS/FoL cycle introduces longer gaps into the healing stream on the Beaconed tank. Inevitably you will have 2 second gaps after the instant FoL hits, before the next FoL hits. A lot can happen to a tank in Wrath in 2 seconds. Even my altadin rocking triumph badge and heroic gear has a gap of 1.4secs, and during BL it will approach 1second. I only introduce healing gaps when I need to judge or refresh Bacon/SS. They are all long enough that it's easy to ensure I don't have to do it at critical moments.

Finally you are dependent on crit for throughput. 'Most likely one spell crits' is not a good way to ensure that the tank stays alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    I have three problems with this analysis

You suggest that this whole scenario takes up only 2 secs, but the final instant has invoked a GCD, which means that the healing has to be budgeted over 3 seconds +lag. That's close on 2.5 HLs for a BiS Holydin, which means they're equalling your 'every spell crits' scenario HPS with their 'no spell crits' scenario. Analysing it your way means HS alone is 10k in 0seconds - OMG INFINITE HPS!!!!!!

During that time you've healed 4 targets (including beacon), the HL pally has healed 3 - and is mid cast on a 4th. Not you healing 3 and him healing 1 - quite a different ratio.

Using the HS/FoL cycle introduces longer gaps into the healing stream on the Beaconed tank. Inevitably you will have 2 second gaps after the instant FoL hits, before the next FoL hits. A lot can happen to a tank in Wrath in 2 seconds. Even my altadin rocking triumph badge and heroic gear has a gap of 1.4secs, and during BL it will approach 1second. I only introduce healing gaps when I need to judge or refresh Bacon/SS. They are all long enough that it's easy to ensure I don't have to do it at critical moments.

Finally you are dependent on crit for throughput. 'Most likely one spell crits' is not a good way to ensure that the tank stays alive.
    First off, yes, HS is an instant cast. Takes 0secs to cast it. (in relative terms) I have also stated that I run with a very good computer, I have little to no lag. So yes, when I cast FoL and follow with a HS... it takes me 1sec to heal two targets for anywhere from 5k-10k (depending on crits) THEN there is a GCD, and apparently yours are 2secs. Mine are less than 1.5, so after that an INSTANT FoL... So 1sec + 1.5secs(tops) is 2.5secs. I haven't actually calculated mine because like I said, I've never had a problem healing this way.

Second, since I am healing 4 people (3 being raid members) Are you going to need 12k healing on these raid members? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes even if they need that 12k heal, I can heal them for 5-8k with a FoL AND that shaman who is chain healing, will him hit for the other xamount needed. Plus any other passive heals he's getting from totems, judgements, spriests.

You have to realize that just because you are in a spec that ALLOWS you to cast 12k HL and not run out of mana doesn't mean that you can ONLY heal this way. I'm not saying that HL is bad or useless or anything like that. I'm sure, if I changed a lot of gear/playstyle I could heal more. But if I healed more that just means that someone else is going to heal less. (on the meters).

At best, your HL could be around 1.3secs or so on average, with a well geared pally and max raid buffs? So when you cast it twice, yielding around 2.6sec. You are about the same time as my three spells, correct? The mana use is less with the three spells i cast, (since I have the 51/5/15 spec, I have much more chance to crit to reduce the mana that much more often) And I heal one extra person.

When someone says "if you never go oom with HL why wouldn't you use it." I say "If FoL heals are enough why would you use HL". (ex: If someone is 2k off of 100% life, would you flash or HL?) That is my thought, and if you literally SPAM FoL, your HPS will get very high.

I will screenshot tomorrows raid performance and post it back on this forum for those who still think HL is the ONLY way to go.

These three spells take approximately 2secs to cast.
    Three spells take three seconds. Minimum. Period. End of story. You simply cannot cast more than one spell a second. That's just how the game works.

By your own math, your three spells give you ~25,000 healing over three seconds. Let's extend that out to six seconds(continue giving you this crazy crit streak you've got going and forgetting the fact that you can't chain HS that fast) and say you heal 50k over six seconds. For me, six seconds is 5 HLs. Let's lowball it and say my HLs hit for 15k and never crit. That's 75,000 over the same period of time.

And your saving grace here is that you hit six targets instead of my five? Congratulations. I did half again more healing with my worst case scenario as compared to your best and we didn't even look to factor in my glyph or the fact that my Beacon heals kept up the tank and yours were just as likely to let him die.

This has been beat absolutely to death and yet people still refuse to see the plainness of it. Yes your FoL build works great for you in heroics and in content that has been out for half a year. But as far as filling your role in serious content as a tank healer and caster of massive HPS, it does squat.

At best, your HL could be around 1.3secs or so on average, with a well geared pally and max raid buffs? So when you cast it twice, yielding around 2.6sec. You are about the same time as my three spells, correct
    Incorrect. You cannot put three heals out in less than three seconds. So you are comparing 2.6 seconds to 3 seconds. Which is not at all "about the same".

When someone says "if you never go oom with HL why wouldn't you use it." I say "If FoL heals are enough why would you use HL". (ex: If someone is 2k off of 100% life, would you flash or HL?)
    You should still HL in your example. HL Glyph will heal others that need it, your Beacon target will get a heal that they likely need (assuming you have it on the right person, they should almost always be needing more heals) and if that -2k suddenly becomes -10k during the second it takes you to cast, you're still golden.

Obviously smart Pallies in HL builds do not only cast HL. There are lulls in the fight or encounters where mana conservation trumps massive HPS.

I will screenshot tomorrows raid performance and post it back on this forum for those who still think HL is the ONLY way to go.
    Screenshot? What the heck is a screenshot going to show anyone? There's nothing you can screenshot that can show any measure of performance whatsoever. What are you gonna do? Take a picture of Recount at the end of the raid? ROFL Okay.

Link to a WoL report or don't bother at all.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

First off, yes, HS is an instant cast. Takes 0secs to cast it. (in relative terms) I have also stated that I run with a very good computer, I have little to no lag. So yes, when I cast FoL and follow with a HS... it takes me 1sec to heal two targets for anywhere from 5k-10k (depending on crits) THEN there is a GCD, and apparently yours are 2secs. Mine are less than 1.5, so after that an INSTANT FoL... So 1sec + 1.5secs(tops) is 2.5secs. I haven't actually calculated mine because like I said, I've never had a problem healing this way.
    Clearly you haven't calculated it at all if you think your GCD is 1.5 seconds, it's 1 second. Thus you cast two spells HS&FoL, and that used a total of 2 seconds of your time. If you had cast 3 spells FoL&HS&FoL it would have taken 3 seconds of your time.

Instants just front load the healing, that's useful in a raid healer, and if the tank is horribly low and might die to AoE. Otherwise the tank healer is focused on getting the tank to the point he can survive the next hit. Front-loading a small heal is generally less useful here

Second, since I am healing 4 people (3 being raid members) Are you going to need 12k healing on these raid members? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes even if they need that 12k heal, I can heal them for 5-8k with a FoL AND that shaman who is chain healing, will him hit for the other xamount needed. Plus any other passive heals he's getting from totems, judgements, spriests.
    I don't care if I MASSIVELY OVERHEAL the raid members. The reason I'm casting HL is for the tank on the end of my beacon. The raid healing I'm doing is a free bonus, it's not my purpose or main role here. My job is to make sure that for as much of the time as humanly possible the tank is absolutely secure. This leaves the floating healers free to focus the raid. If I slack on the tank by spamming FoL then the floating healers have to focus more on the tank more than is good. If my druid co-healer is spamming nourish on the tank when he could be rejuving the raid on valks for example then that is a bad thing.

You have to realize that just because you are in a spec that ALLOWS you to cast 12k HL and not run out of mana doesn't mean that you can ONLY heal this way.
    Sure - and if I'm 100% sure that FoL will overheal on both the tank and the heal target then I'll cast FoL. Otherwise I play to my strength and cast the best single target heal in the game.

When someone says "if you never go oom with HL why wouldn't you use it." I say "If FoL heals are enough why would you use HL". (ex: If someone is 2k off of 100% life, would you flash or HL?) That is my thought, and if you literally SPAM FoL, your HPS will get very high.
    Again - if you're only considering the health deficit of your FoL target, and not the prospective health deficit of your tank then you're making your decision on the wrong premise. If FoL heals are enough I'll happily use FoL, however the times when FoL is enough is much rarer than you think - unless there is already another paladin beacon-ing the same tank and he's spamming HL.

His Flash of Light is soooo fast that ignores global cooldown, of course.

Stack int use beacon on a tank throw up the ss on a tank without it and start bombing people with HL (melee is always fun they are normally rtards which causes large amounts of raid dmg to them all) example red vials on professor GG. So with your spill over aswell as your beacon your golden!

Ps 690~~haste give or take 5 haste is the number you need that with judgemnt haste gives you your cap
    A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Always funny that when people say Fol build they think we only spam FoL/holy shock :-\

I raid as a FoL paladin.

We are 4/5 ToGC 25 and 6/7 ICC25
    My gear is focused to getting FoL to 1 sec and then ever extra haste is nice, but rather have crit.
    I got around 3.6k SP raidbuffed, for my FoL thats 4k+ caus of pvp libram.
    My FoL hits for around 8-8.5k and crits for 10k+. Holy shock crits for 12k+

The only fight where i've notice that spamming FoL wont work is Festergut 25( 10 man its doable but not optimal)

But the main thing to consider if you go FoL, is your healing setup in raid.

In our raids we got 2 druids 1 shaman 1 paladin ( me) 1 disc and 1 holy priest.
    Druids heal everything, mainly focus on raid but trow the occasional hot on tanks if they got nothing to do
    Same goes for the holy priest.
    The shaman takes care of the melee, and does spothealing in raid
    The disc priest and me focus on the tanks.

Im usualy first or second on healingmeters ( not that they rly mather) depending on how much aoe dmg there is in a fight.

So just caus it doesnt work in your raid... doesnt mean it doesnt work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ysoly
    Always funny that when people say Fol build they think we only spam FoL/holy shock :-\

I raid as a FoL paladin.

We are 4/5 ToGC 25 and 6/7 ICC25
    My gear is focused to getting FoL to 1 sec and then ever extra haste is nice, but rather have crit.
    I got around 3.6k SP raidbuffed, for my FoL thats 4k+ caus of pvp libram.
    My FoL hits for around 8-8.5k and crits for 10k+. Holy shock crits for 12k+

The only fight where i've notice that spamming FoL wont work is Festergut 25( 10 man its doable but not optimal)

But the main thing to consider if you go FoL, is your healing setup in raid.

In our raids we got 2 druids 1 shaman 1 paladin ( me) 1 disc and 1 holy priest.
    Druids heal everything, mainly focus on raid but trow the occasional hot on tanks if they got nothing to do
    Same goes for the holy priest.
    The shaman takes care of the melee, and does spothealing in raid
    The disc priest and me focus on the tanks.

Im usualy first or second on healingmeters ( not that they rly mather) depending on how much aoe dmg there is in a fight.

So just caus it doesnt work in your raid... doesnt mean it doesnt work at all.
    My Holy Light has the same cast as your Flash. And wait, it heals the double and splash heals. So what is the point of using flashs again? Its almost like using a downrank of Holy Light, lol. And please, flash of light hot on tanks are nearly useless.

Festergut is the only boss that can hit a tank properly, or maybe Putricide at phase 3. Any hard mode will hit twice as hard. If you already stated that flashing is viable/good at this fight, why should you keep doing it?