Thread: A little advice

A little advice

OK so I just started tanking again about a month ago and I love it but I have a few concerns:

1. As stated by a blue post block rating is going away in cataclysm and I am noticing a surprising lack of gear with it right now. I am worried about having enough avoidance in ICC with out the block rating gear because of this I have kept a few pieces on such as my helm that could be replaced but doing so would cost about 4% block rating with minimal gains elsewhere.

2. I am having problems with balancing threat generation versus mana usage as even with Sanc and Plea up all the time/whenever available I still at time go OOM if I am really pushing my threat with consecrate and everything else. For example if the dps out gear me, then on most trash/AOE pulls I will consecrate and will use avengers shield when it comes off CD from the pull to make sure I have threat on everything. Should i stop using shield for this and just rely on hammer and consecrate,

3. Trinkets like the Direbrew ones provide a very nice stam boost until I can get similar from elsewhere. There are "upgrade" trinkets out there but they have dodge rating which for the most part in ICC is useless. should i still change to these other trinkets with the dodge and sacrifice the 170 stam i get from the Direbrew trinket.

Ok so I am looking for some help on it I hope this doesn't blow up into and OMG NOOB L2PLAY fest but I'm sure it will lol. Here is my armory

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ary&cn=Balthor

Any help would be great.

Re: A little advice

Dodge is not useless in ICC. 20% reduction doesn't make it useless unless you are at 0% dodge or lower. Dodge is ossim.

Block Rating isnt going away, but Block Value is. With Holy shield and Redoubt, I personally don't worry about my block% at all.

Mana is the largest issue in 5mans. You have 2 points in Spiritual attunement, where i only have 1 point, and I do not have mana issues in content I'm not over geared for.

My view on trinkets is this. I hate trinkets with no proc. 170 stam is good, but ide personally rather have 120stam and an armor proc, such as the black heart.

Use all your stuff on trash pulls. If you really have to, sit and drink for 10 seconds. We have so little mana that drinking between pulls is very easy to do.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ldum&cn=Ugadin as you can tell, no block gear.
    It's okay, I'm just more evolved than the rest of you.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewforum

all you need to know

and the black heart is with more effective health then the direbrew trinket. if you really want health pick up black heart and the frost emblem one until you can get Juggernaut's Vitality

Judge wisdom.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

10+ Year Old Account

There are a few things you could do differently, #1 you should probably drop the 2 points from pursuit of justice and move them to vindication. The amount of damage it prevents mobs from doing is amazing (even caster mobs because they use ap to determine spell damage done for some reason).
    Also with the amount of classes/specs who can provide the 3% crit buff you could move them to benediction.
    Other than that there is not much you could change other than gear, one gear change i might suggest is getting some friends & running 10 man uldar every week for achievements & the tank trinket off of yogg which will give ya 157 stamina and 7.73% parry on use. Or you could grab the tank trinket off of 25man ignis the furnace master which will give ya 162 stamina and 10.16% dodge on use.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mclotsodots
    OK so I just started tanking again about a month ago and I love it but I have a few concerns:

1. As stated by a blue post block rating is going away in cataclysm and I am noticing a surprising lack of gear with it right now. I am worried about having enough avoidance in ICC with out the block rating gear because of this I have kept a few pieces on such as my helm that could be replaced but doing so would cost about 4% block rating with minimal gains elsewhere.
    Block isn't avoidance anyway. Block is one of our least important survival stats. "OMG the boss hit for 30k, but at least I blocked 2k!". Avoidance (Dodge, parry and miss) is superior to block rating, especially as we won't be unhittable (102.4 combined avoidance + block) thanks to the Chill of the Throne debuff.

2. I am having problems with balancing threat generation versus mana usage as even with Sanc and Plea up all the time/whenever available I still at time go OOM if I am really pushing my threat with consecrate and everything else. For example if the dps out gear me, then on most trash/AOE pulls I will consecrate and will use avengers shield when it comes off CD from the pull to make sure I have threat on everything. Should i stop using shield for this and just rely on hammer and consecrate,
    Taken from http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

Threat Generation:

The way tanks keep their target focused on them is to generate more threat than his party/raid members.
    Tankadins achieve this by dealing large amounts of holy damage while under the effect of Righteous Fury.

Paladins can generate enough frontload threat with Avenger's shield, Shield of Righteousness/Hammer of the Righteous and a Judgement for the dps to start attacking right away, as long as the mob is within melee range of the paladin.

For a paladin to do as much threat as he can he has to be getting hit as well. Paladin tanks deal a great deal of damage passively from getting hit. Retribution aura along with holy shield make for 1 heavy backfire when the paladin blocks. This is what makes paladins such great multi-target tanks, they generate threat without even having to target the mobs.

Threat Rotation:

To get the most from your abilities you need to get a good rotation, one that doesn’t leave a lot of room waiting for cooldowns etc.
    The most common rotation is called the 96969 rotation. The numbers stand for the time the ability cools down in the rotation. For this rotation you’ll need to put 1 point in improved judgement. Consecrate is only an 8 sec cd, but you cant squeeze the rotation any tighter than this.
    You choose what order you want to do the rotation.
    The 9 sec cooldown abilities are Holy shield, Judgement and Consecrate.
    The 6 sec cooldown abilities are Hammer of the righteous and Shield of Righteousness.
    Note: At 70 you won't have Shield of Righteousness. You can practice this rotation by exchanging Shield of Righteousness with SoR and SoV every other 6sec cd.
    This way you well get both the SoV dot and the extra damage from SoR per hit. (aka. Seal Twisting.)

00.0 - 9 sec One.
    01.5 - 6 sec A.
    03.0 - 9 sec Two.
    04.5 - 6 sec B.
    06.0 - 9 sec Three.
    07.5 - 6 sec A.
    09.0 - 9 sec One.
    10.5 - 6 sec B.
    12.0 - 9 sec Two.
    13.5 - 6 sec A.
    15.0 - 9 sec Three.
    16.5 - 6 sec B.

After that it starts over again.

I suggest reading through that tread to get to grips on it. At heart though, if the DPS outgear you massively, you'll struggle anyway, just do your best.

3. Trinkets like the Direbrew ones provide a very nice stam boost until I can get similar from elsewhere. There are "upgrade" trinkets out there but they have dodge rating which for the most part in ICC is useless. should i still change to these other trinkets with the dodge and sacrifice the 170 stam i get from the Direbrew trinket.
    The avoidance trinkets aren't "useless" because of the Chill of the Throne. They're suboptimal compared to stamina (and to a lesser extent, armor) trinkets because for progression content, gearing for Effective Health is a more reliable, correct method. I'm quite happily tanking all current content, and still using 1 of my Brewfest trinkets.
    Pluck that parry gem right out of your legs, and use either Agi/Stam, or Dodge/stam (Agi/stam is superior, as long as you know how to explain it :P). A ratio of 1.88 dodge for every 1 point of parry is the optimal ratio, if you aren't there, you should NOT be putting parry gems in there, you'll get more avoidance out of dodge.

Spec away from Seals of the Pure, and down the ret tree into Crusade. It's far more threat on any mob it affects, which is basically everything outside of Ulduar.

Otherwise everything looks good

If you want to improve, it's not possible to do any better than maintankadin.failsafedesign.com. It is the best resource for paladin tanks on the interwebs.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic <-- best paladin tanking thread ever. used it since it got released you cant go wrong if you take the time to read the entire thing

Dont worry about block gear at all imo. Im not saying its useless, but its not a big deal. Take the items that give the most stam, parry, dodge, etc.

Mana in raids is non existent. If you go oom in a raid somehow then there is something wrong. I could spam everything I have on trash in ICC, or a toc boss, whatever and not go oom ever.

In heroics, just keep divine plea up. I pull so fast (way over geared) that its up 95% of the time. All I do is pull, consecrate & hammer and I have plenty of threat for dps 2 just aoe them down.

Personally, I never take a trinket unless it has stam on it. Ill take black heart over direbrew tho b.c of equip effect. If you can get jug. vitality & the badge trinket (264) even tho the use effect sucks the stam is nice.