Unholy or frost dps spec able to tanking normal dungeuns

Hi all

I am leveling my DK and he is atm unholy spec and soon when I have enough for dual spec he will get dual wielding frost dps spec on top of it.

But because I just love those two spec when I tried them and dont want my second spec to be tanking spec I was wondering. Can I normal dunguens in northned with a Unholy or Frost DPS spec??
    Main shaman: Shaman Alt Paladin: Paladin
    Alt lvl 73 mage: Mage Alt lvl 70 Death knight: Death Knight
    Random dungeon project: Druid Battleground project: Rogue
    Worgen project: Warlock Future alt: Hunter

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Unholy or frost dps spec able to tanking normal dungeuns

Easily. Just slap on stoneskin rune once you have it, and you're good to go. (A few pieces of def/sta gear doesn't hurt, either, but the spec doesn't have to be a tank spec)

Frost is fine for normal dungeons.

You can easily tank every heroic pre-ToC in full dps gear and spec simply putting on frost presence. Make sure you warn the healer first because you'll take more damage...they'll often be surprised to hear what your planning, but after realising they might actually have something to do rather than afk for 20 minutes, they tend to warm to the challenge. Good times all round

Quote Originally Posted by Momome
    You can easily tank every heroic pre-ToC in full dps gear and spec simply putting on frost presence. Make sure you warn the healer first because you'll take more damage...they'll often be surprised to hear what your planning, but after realising they might actually have something to do rather than afk for 20 minutes, they tend to warm to the challenge. Good times all round
    Yes please, tank a heroics without the def cap, and with like 22k hp.

Normals yes, you can but it will be a fast run, if you try it in heroics. Cuz pll will leave instantly ofc just looking at your hp.

In frost presence you should be able to tank any normal dungeon with minimal problems assuming the healer is reasonably good. Get cheap stam patched from the AH and slap them on your armor to help out your HP a bit.

My level 75 DK is dual spec'd with Frost DW Tank spec and Frost DW dps spec. Personally, I really like having a true tanking spec as it tends to make runs go smoother when you get a crappy healer as they can fail on a pretty regular interval and still keep you up since you take a lot less damage.

Good luck and have fun.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Spirit
    Yes please, tank a heroics without the def cap, and with like 22k hp.

Normals yes, you can but it will be a fast run, if you try it in heroics. Cuz pll will leave instantly ofc just looking at your hp.
    Just grab a friendly healer and go together. If DPS leaves, their problem. New ones will come in about 5 seconds. It's not a big deal healing a tank in DPS spec + gear + frost presence in almost any heroic (PoS, ToC & HoR might be the exceptions, rest is a walk in the park).

Been there, done that, I was the healer on my priest. It was almost as much AFK as with a 45k HP tank.

Dps spec+tank gear= Tank most stuff in game.
    Atleast for DKs
    I cant count the amount of times ive missed to change from DWfrostdps to DWfrost tank and barly have noticed.

Deleted

I only really wear tanking gear for TotC / ICC heroics.

I don't switch into tanking spec or gear for normal heroics really - just frost presence.

People are sometimes skeptical although my gear and title generally leads them to believe I probably know what I'm doing. Even in dps gear / spec you'd still have close to 30k HP buffed in frost presence.

In my tanking spec (blood) and gear I can do heroics without a healer at all - I'd imagine it wouldn't be that fun for them.

Everything with plate armor and a brain can tank nonheroic stuff.

Of course a lot of people will tell you that they tanked heroic halls of reflection in dps dpec with dps gear healed by an elemntal shaman, but you should know that not having a tank spec and or not having a full tank gear can make it harder to heal, so you should not pull the way overequipped prot paldins would do.

If youre overgeared switch to more offensive equipment parts but remember: better save than sorry.

DPS already have the image of the brainless idiot, i dont think tanks need that.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    Just grab a friendly healer and go together. If DPS leaves, their problem. New ones will come in about 5 seconds. It's not a big deal healing a tank in DPS spec + gear + frost presence in almost any heroic (PoS, ToC & HoR might be the exceptions, rest is a walk in the park).

Been there, done that, I was the healer on my priest. It was almost as much AFK as with a 45k HP tank.
    I dont think the OP has a full toc/icc gear. So dont tell me that is a "walk in the park" without an overgeared healer when the "tank" is in quest blues. (still talking about heroics only ofc)

Deleted

as already mentioned you can tank just about everything including ilvl200 heroics with a dps spec.
    you should still have tankgear though.

you dont need crit immunity at all. it helps but for those easy instances where the incoming damage is low anyways, there is no need for it.

remember you can do most heroics nowadays without a tank as well.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Spirit
    I dont think the OP has a full toc/icc gear. So dont tell me that is a "walk in the park" without an overgeared healer when the "tank" is in quest blues. (still talking about heroics only ofc)
    Like I said, I was the healer, in mostly emblem gear. The tank was a fury warrior in half blues, half emblem gear. Berserker stance & two weapons, he tanked just fine.

It's a walk in the park in almost all gear levels, as long as the healer has decent gear. Obivously it won't work if they're both in quest blues.

You guys do realize that recommending to somebody that they can tank in dps gear really just hurts the class right?

As a Resto Shaman main (Blood tank alt) I'll say that any tank who is tanking in dps gear or who is crittable just lost a healer unless they are a good friend of mine and we have agreed to it before hand. Yes it can be done, but it is not worth the bother to do it. Especially when the gear is so easily attainable now to have a full set at 80.

I don't care if the tank has 22k hitpoints (like a few tanks I've healed this week who were just starting out) or if they have 45k. I don't even care if you pop on tank gear while in a dps spec as long as you can do the job. I do care though that that you hit that one easily attained goal of 535+ defense. I can heal you without it, but if you aren't willing to make the effort to have the gear, why should I make the effort to heal you?

You might not need the crit immunity depending on your health pool, but for every bad 'tank' who isn't yet another opinion about the class forms.

10+ Year Old Account

The OP asked about normal dungeons. We said even heroics can be done in DPS gear and specs, thus, so can normals.

I don't see the problem. Nor would I expect any tank in any normal to have a full tank kit. If he would have, he'd be doing heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    The OP asked about normal dungeons. We said even heroics can be done in DPS gear and specs, thus, so can normals.

I don't see the problem. Nor would I expect any tank in any normal to have a full tank kit. If he would have, he'd be doing heroics.
    Normals or not, the gear is to easy to get post 70 to not have it. Starting at 70 you have the Cobalt gear (with some Champions jewelry) and from then out it's pretty simple to just fill in with quest rewards and/or the lucky drop in instances. At 76 or 77 you have access to the Tempered and Daunting blacksmithing gear. If you are missing a few points, then getting a enchant or gemming isn't hard at all either.

To not have the gear to tank with is simply being lazy and to suggest that it's ok is doing the OP (and any party he tanks for) a disservice. If you are looking at a blue geared party doing normals with a tank who is able to be crit, you are looking at a wipe in progress on some bosses. (Loken, Ingvar, etc)

There is no valid excuse post 70 to not have a basic non-crit tanking set if you want to tank. For a relatively small amount of coin and by simply collecting random quest rewards you are pretty much set.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Momome
    I helped a friend on my DK in heroic VH. I did it with dps gear on purpose and halfway through I realized it was on heroic xD