Healing and Group Analysis

I have been running 5mans leveling a resto Shaman. Most groups have a paladin or druid so there is a lot of passive healing from Leader of The Pack and Judgement of Light. These groups go smoothly with no wipes, however I have always noticed that I do about 85% of the healing.

Today I got in a group with a DK tank and no paladin or druid, so I was doing 95% of the healing. We ran Old Kingdom and it was incredibly difficult for me. The tank was taking tons of damage and the I could barely heal through it. We had no wipes, but the tank died twice.

Me: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n&cn=Kalpurnia
    Tank: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...orei&cn=Alixia

I want to assume it was the tanks fault, but I cant do any tests to be sure. It is very rare that you dont have a paladin or druid, and it is not easy telling them to stop there passive healing. I probably have nothing to worry about, I just have this intense fear that I am going to reach 80 and end up being a crap healer.

What do you guys think?

Re: Healing and Group Analysis

being a non 80 im going to assume that the dk tank you were working with is not excellent at managing his cd's and such as a tank, along with a dozen other possible factors that could make it hard to heal him. my suggestion is ignore this, continue on, when you get to 80 you can compare your healing directly versus tanks abilities as things become less complicated then. tanks are defense capped and know what that is, they have all of their abilities to use and all advantages at their disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderspike
    being a non 80 im going to assume that the dk tank you were working with is not excellent at managing his cd's and such as a tank, along with a dozen other possible factors that could make it hard to heal him. my suggestion is ignore this, continue on, when you get to 80 you can compare your healing directly versus tanks abilities as things become less complicated then. tanks are defense capped and know what that is, they have all of their abilities to use and all advantages at their disposal.
    Thank you for the reassurance. What about the passive healing abilities? Are those giving a significant enough of a handicap to be concerned? They suck up about 15-20% of the healing according to recount.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Passive healing is nothing you should be concerned with, it's marginal and never life saving. Times when rets were nr 1 on meters because of JoL are gone

DK be always taking more dmg in 5 mans, because they dont have shield/absorption. Even on lvl 80 in HC you'll see that. Shield doesnt make a difference on boss that hits for 20k, but makes hell of a difference on mobs hitting for 3k

Quote Originally Posted by Instant
    Passive healing is nothing you should be concerned with, it's marginal and never life saving. Times when rets were nr 1 on meters because of JoL are gone

DK be always taking more dmg in 5 mans, because they dont have shield/absorption. Even on lvl 80 in HC you'll see that. Shield doesnt make a difference on boss that hits for 20k, but makes hell of a difference on mobs hitting for 3k
    But what about this http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4548/82035096.jpg ?
    40% passive healing seems insane to me.

The DK isn't exactly well geared. A brief look at the armory and he has 461 defence and a green sword. I'm not amazing on tanks at all or DK's tanks for that matter, but i'd suggest he was being critted which explains the huge damage he was taking, and in general was taking a load anyway. All in all, you probably did very well to complete it.

WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Honestly, dont worry bout that small passive healing. Most of it is when people are missing 1k HP or smaller. For that reason you're not using spell that heals for 5k, its only natural that some passive healing will top them.

Also, that passive healing wont be scaling as much as your spells will. If dps have 10k then 2% from JoL is 200 hp, at 20k it will be 400 HP, where your LHW/CH heals for 1/4 (if that) of what it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshe
    The DK isn't exactly well geared. A brief look at the armory and he has 461 defence and a green sword. I'm not amazing on tanks at all or DK's tanks for that matter, but i'd suggest he was being critted which explains the huge damage he was taking, and in general was taking a load anyway. All in all, you probably did very well to complete it.

l2read , the DK is only lvl 75
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotena
    this isn't a troll. the OP is maybe 9. If we're lucky.
    The following applies to AV!
    Quote Originally Posted by gehennaspawn
    Acid Bath > Win > Loss > 40 minute turtle > Jonas brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Jowanda
    But what about this http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4548/82035096.jpg ?
    40% passive healing seems insane to me.
    Most passive healing is overheal anyway... Does your recount show effective heal or total heal?
    This space is available for rent!

Quote Originally Posted by gringo
    Most passive healing is overheal anyway... Does your recount show effective heal or total heal?
    healing done is effective healing
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotena
    this isn't a troll. the OP is maybe 9. If we're lucky.
    The following applies to AV!
    Quote Originally Posted by gehennaspawn
    Acid Bath > Win > Loss > 40 minute turtle > Jonas brothers

It's not about group analysis, passive healing or your skills it's likely entirely about Old Kingdom, overconfident tanks and crappy dps.

1) Spell Flingers: These guys hit the tank hard with shadowstrike if they're not interrupted. On normal I believe it's 50% tank health, on heroic it's 80%. If the tank pulls two of these at once you can expect an insta-gib. If your dps is too clueless to interrupt them or focus them down, you may have to interrupt them yourself. Tanks never believe it when I try to explain to them that they will be hit harder by heroic trash than by a raid boss. Nevertheless it is true.

2) Eyes of Taldaram: First you had to interrupt the mobs, now the mobs will start interrupting you. These guys put a magic debuff on casters which will interrupt their next cast. Since you have no spammable instants it's horrible as a resto shaman. It's even worse if you actually cast and proc it though. Ideally a retridin or spriest will cleanse it off you. Good luck with that. If the tank pulls these, and the giant and the little zombies all at once - you better hope you don't get the debuff.

3) Prince Taldaram: People don't die here due to lack of healing, they die due to lack of dps on Embrace. You can't heal the embrace target, so don't even bother trying - just nuke prince till his cast stops.

4) Pre-Jedoga trash: Wiping here is extremely easy. The pulls are close together, tend to get screwed up and all cast AoEs and debuffs on random targets.

5) Jedoga: People don't die unless she gets to sac an add. That's the dps failing again, though you can help out with a shock&lvb. If she enrages then the melee will die to cyclone strike unless you're all very lucky.

The combination is why people hate OK. It's not a hard instance, but it is an instance where dps actually have to do their jobs. If they don't people will die, and there's nothing very much you can do to stop it.

Yeah OK has several different mobs that have abilities that still seem to hurt like hell even when you completely out gear a heroic at 80.

4) that trash has mobs that do a targeted ae that hurts quite a bit. Especially bad if you pick up them with a wandering pack with elementals.

Also the guys that do shadowcrash right before the last boss. That hurts a lot too.

Just out of curiosity which totems are you using? I usually use Healing stream especially when there is a pally in the group for wisdom. at lvl 70 not glyphed it heals for over 150hp/2sec which is a pretty good passive party wide hot and if your worried about the meters ( which you shouldnt be ) that will likely be a good way to throw much more of that passive healing in your favor...