Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Alchemy - Transmute Mastery or Elixir Mastery? (for gold maknig purposes)

So i'm levelling an alt (which i will probably make my main in cata), which at the moment will be used to have fun and make a bit of gold.

I decided to go herbs and alchemy for a bit of gold making, but my question is, transmute mastery or elixir mastery?

I ahve done all 3 prequests before (all at different times), so i can just select transmute or elixir (or potion) whenever i please.

But which one makes the most gold atm?
    I have a good idea, why don't you contribute to something here....It would be a whole lot better than getting pressure induced nose bleeds and nerd raging durrn durrrns in your posts :-*

Re: Alchemy - Transmute Mastery or Elixir Mastery? (for gold maknig purposes)

Transmutation.

I have 2 Transmutation Spec Alchemists.

You can get 1x or 3x procs. The 3x procs are very rare. I got one last week on Cardinal Rubys = 3 x 193G = 579 gold for free! Even if one procs, that's 193G for doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by neuropsycho
    Transmutation.

You can get 1x or 3x procs. The 3x procs are very rare. I got one last week on Cardinal Rubys = 3 x 193G = 579 gold for free! Even if one procs, that's 193G for doing nothing.
    You can get up to 5 gems from a single xmute, which is the rarist
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

wrong... all wrong...
    heres the thing.... transmutes (the ones that will actually make you money) are on something like a 20 hr cd. as a transmute master, saying that you actually do your transmute the exact moment it is up, will allow you to use your mastery once every 20 hours, limited by the CD. as an elixir master, you utilize your mastery (proc chance), whenever you craft something, on a 0 hr 0 min cd.. (also with a greater proc chance)... that being said, if you are only doing it to make money... make flasks and go elixir mastery

Quote Originally Posted by tduckro
    wrong... all wrong...
    heres the thing.... transmutes (the ones that will actually make you money) are on something like a 20 hr cd. as a transmute master, saying that you actually do your transmute the exact moment it is up, will allow you to use your mastery once every 20 hours, limited by the CD. as an elixir master, you utilize your mastery (proc chance), whenever you craft something, on a 0 hr 0 min cd.. (also with a greater proc chance)... that being said, if you are only doing it to make money... make flasks and go elixir mastery
    Also wrong. The proc rate is nearly the same across specializations, so the benefit is a simple fraction of the value of crafted goods. In a week, 7 transmutes sells for 1100g on most servers. Most people don't craft 1100g worth of elixirs in a week. Thus, procs from transmute spec are more valuable than elixers.

To figure out best proc, find which (proc%)*(daily value of crafted goods) is highest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenton
    Also wrong. The proc rate is nearly the same across specializations, so the benefit is a simple fraction of the value of crafted goods. In a week, 7 transmutes sells for 1100g on most servers. Most people don't craft 1100g worth of elixirs in a week. Thus, procs from transmute spec are more valuable than elixers.

To figure out best proc, find which (proc%)*(daily value of crafted goods) is highest.
    Flawed theory. Any elixir master that wants to make gold on the AH is very easily making 1100g worth of elixirs in a week. On my server they always go for 35g at minimum, which means that i need less than 33 flasks to pass that mark. I can easily sell 33 flasks on the tuesday raid resets alone, not even counting the rest of the week. The bottom line is, if you want gold payoffs with no work whatsoever, go xmute mastery. If you want higher payouts with a little more work involved, go elixir mastery. The best thing about elixir mastery is that it can ramp-up to whatever your economy allows, where gem transmutes have no ability to scale with demand/opportunity at all. And yes, that also means it kills xmutes on your math too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furkel
    Long story short, my voidwalker is borderline retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by neuropsycho
    Transmutation.

This guy is doing it all wrong. King's Amber > Cardinal Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by anathemaa
    Flawed theory. Any elixir master that wants to make gold on the AH is very easily making 1100g worth of elixirs in a week. On my server they always go for 35g at minimum, which means that i need less than 33 flasks to pass that mark. I can easily sell 33 flasks on the tuesday raid resets alone, not even counting the rest of the week. The bottom line is, if you want gold payoffs with no work whatsoever, go xmute mastery. If you want higher payouts with a little more work involved, go elixir mastery. The best thing about elixir mastery is that it can ramp-up to whatever your economy allows, where gem transmutes have no ability to scale with demand/opportunity at all. And yes, that also means it kills xmutes on your math too. ;)
    What this guy said, basically ;)
    Signature.. Am I doing this right?

elixxer is the highest potential gold maker. Xmute is the laziest gold maker.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by anathemaa
    Flawed theory. Any elixir master that wants to make gold on the AH is very easily making 1100g worth of elixirs in a week. On my server they always go for 35g at minimum, which means that i need less than 33 flasks to pass that mark. I can easily sell 33 flasks on the tuesday raid resets alone, not even counting the rest of the week. The bottom line is, if you want gold payoffs with no work whatsoever, go xmute mastery. If you want higher payouts with a little more work involved, go elixir mastery. The best thing about elixir mastery is that it can ramp-up to whatever your economy allows, where gem transmutes have no ability to scale with demand/opportunity at all. And yes, that also means it kills xmutes on your math too. ;)
    Indeed, hence why I say "most people don't craft 1100g woth of elixers in a week" as a hedge. I don't see how your point pokes a flaw in the theory of "go with what you make the most of" spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenton
    Indeed, hence why I say "most people don't craft 1100g woth of elixers in a week" as a hedge. I don't see how your point pokes a flaw in the theory of "go with what you make the most of" spec.
    The topic of the thread already rules out the "most people don't craft 1100g woth of elixers in a week" idea. Any alchemist that becomes an elixir master to make gold is gonna surpass that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furkel
    Long story short, my voidwalker is borderline retarded.

10+ Year Old Account

was reading this post and reminded me i didnt do my xmute today and BAM! heres what i got

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5...1815312314.jpg

So xmute spec is awsome as u can see, thats almost 1k gold right there

EDIT: so i have 4 alchemy toons, 1 main and 3 alts that i never play since begining of BC, i made them all xmute alchemists today i got
    x5 proc on my priest, x2 on rogue, x2 on DK, and 1 on my druid 10 gems total. if u have any alts lvl alch its worth it /screw dailies
    i7 4770k 4.6GHZ................................................ ¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
    OCZ Arc 100 x2 (240g) RAID 0.........................°º¤ø„¸? Druid ,„ø¤º°¨
    Kingston HyperX 8 gig 2400.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨ For Life! 0¤ø„¸
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 OC.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø

Quote Originally Posted by Battlepope
    This guy is doing it all wrong. King's Amber > Cardinal Ruby
    Or maybe you're doing it all wrong.

I personally make Solid Majestic Zircon's.
    I have 4 alchemists, 2 transmute, 1 elixir and one I haven't bothered with yet(will be a transmuter).

I made 1100g today, I had one 3x zircon proc.
    Transmute mastery is great if you want most money, for least amount of effort. Meaning you will not make elixirs/flasks for money(my main is an elixir master because I use the flasks myself I have no intention of selling them.)

I just make a gem(x4) every day, and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    elixxer is the highest potential gold maker. Xmute is the laziest gold maker.
    Sounds like the general agreement here to me, also sounds good to me. I have 2 x JC toons and 1 x Alchemy toon (that i will now make transmute master).

I will continue to do the 2 x JC dailies and sell dragon's eye fo 80g+ each, then do 1 transmute per day and make 100g-1000g per day.

I'm not greedy, and 260g-1200g per day for little effort sounds like a nice amount of gold to save until i start playing properly again in Cataclysm (on a casual break atm and pugging things and such).

Thanks for the info
    I have a good idea, why don't you contribute to something here....It would be a whole lot better than getting pressure induced nose bleeds and nerd raging durrn durrrns in your posts :-*

@FightClub777
    that was a good source of gold.. just tell us when you reach the gold cap.
    Make your gaming experience a lot better!
    wow strategy guide

I gave up on trans mastery a month or two into wotlk after absolutely no procs. Epics gems are swamped on my realm anyway works out better to have elixir mastery for all my toons flasks and elixirs.
    "Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party. I'm sorry, but those skills, entirely missing now in WotLK, are the real signs of skill and ability to tank effectively."

Transmute is good , elixir/potion is too unrealieable.

In my opinion Elixir Mastery makes the most gold when you have some gold to spend. I guess it also helps that everyone is on the ICC hype right now. But I have always relied on alchemy for real gold. I mean, a profession where I can buy mats and still make hefty profit without much room for loss is good in my book. Of course the argument can be said that any profession will lead you to gold but I feel that Elixir MAstery is like the Idiot's Guide to Making Gold (in a nutshell). Here is an example of how I wake up and make gold:
    stack of Frost lotus at 45g each: 900g. 5 stacks of lichbloom and 5 of icethorn (15g each):150g-- you just invested 1050g. Selling Frost Wyrm elixir for 35g (best habit is to sell flasks Tuesday-Thursday imo because prices tend to drop over the weekend as more people log on) still nets you profit even before you consider the procs (40 flasks @ 35.00- 1400g-.05 ah cut=1330->280g in a matter of seconds/minutes buying herbs and making flasks). Now, on top of that profit add the procs! I have seen it proc to where I get 10 flasks out one craft alone! In that small amount of flasks I generally come out with 50-60 after procs which normally gives me an additional 350-700g additional profit. Again, all for a few minutes worth of running between the ah and your mailbox. So it's kind of a no brainer why a lot of us go elixir master for the sake of making gold. I hate sitting on /2 and so far, in the past 4 years, elixirs have been a blessing to me. I don't think that I have touched a "farmer" since early in BC.

People often say that I run a big risk for relying heavily on one particular item like elixirs because there are other alchemists out there. But when you think about how many flasks the average person buys then you realize it really doest matter if you get undercut... it only means that another guy made a few silver less than you. Sometimes I put up 10-15 flasks during busy times only to get the message that my items have been sold on the auction house. And if you really wanna make some quick gold you can also Shark the AH and refill flasks as theyre sold.

No joke man, Elixir>Xmute.

Crackaine- it's like crack for the sophisticated man.

Patch 3.1.2... RIP engineering you will be remember with fond memories for the edge you gave arena

From my experiences, Elixir>Transmute. You can Transmute Meta Gems all day long, but who buys them? You can Transmute epic gems once every 20 hours, and RNG really screws with this. Being epic, the proc rate is lower than other Alchemy Mastery procs. As a Transmute Master for the first 2 months of epic gems, and trying every 20-24 hours, I had 3 procs.....in 2 months! Now, on my server there's no gold to be made if buying mats to make flasks. Frost Lotus goes for roughly 60-65g each and flasks go for 30-35g each. It would seem that Alchemy in general, which used to be a great way to make gold, is really getting boned between proc rates and low drop rates for Frost Lotus. I'd say if you really wanted to make gold with alchemy, just make elixirs.

I've been relying almost exclusively on Elixer Mastery for my gold since making the switch to Alchemy. Minus buying Gems and Enchants for my upgraded gear, I've easily made 10kg in two weeks (which is really about 6 days since I sell the majority of my Flasks Tuesday - Thursday).

So a couple things;

Your entire profit hinges on the cost of Frost Lotus. A few people got ambitious on my realm and tried to monopolize Frost Lotus, jacking the price from 45g per to 65g per. Luckily I had stocked up and still had a couple hundred Flasks to ride out the tide. If you're just starting out and something like this happens, you've got a problem. Because of people like myself who stockpile and other Alchemist that actually gather, the Flask market won't react quickly to changes in the Herb market. You really have to watch the Frost Lotus auctions like a hawk and snatch any deals you can.

Don't be afraid to flood the market. You really can't flood the market if you sell at the right time. I will list 40 Frost Wyrm, 40 Endless Rage, and 20 Stoneblood at 6:00 PM server time. I raid at 7, so I only have a limited window to operate in. In order to maximize my profit, as Flasks sell I list more, so I always have as many listings as possible while I can manage it. I don't typically worry about undercutters at this time, because I know that the majority of my sales are still an hour away, between 7 and 8 when most raids start and people are getting ready. Once I start raiding, I just watch chat constantly scroll with "A buyer has been found..." When we take a break around 9, I go list more (don't forget about the late night raids). Whatever I have left at 11, I will list and log off. They all sell by the morning, when I collect a couple grand from my inbox. Repeat this on Wednesday.

When you do list Flasks, always list individually. More importantly, don't undercut people selling stacks. Stacks don't sell, even if they are cheaper. Most people are just looking for 2 or 3 Flasks to get them through the night and they aren't smart buyers. Even if your Flasks are 5 gold more expensive then the per item price for that stack of 5, they will buy yours.

As mentioned, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are your big days. Expect 75% of your earnings in those days. But don't stop selling Flasks. Some people think that they will get deals if they buy on the slow days (Friday - Monday). But prices are often higher over the weekend, so you can still make a good chunk. I usually don't sell Stoneblood, but try and list 10-15 Frost Wyrm and Endless Rage all the time.

And don't forget that even as Elixer, you still have 1 Epic Gem Transmute. On my realm, that's a 100g net daily, which pretty much offsets the cost of my non-Frost Lotus mats for the week. A good idea is to find a JC who will directly buy your gems via CoD (or Trade if you prefer) on a daily basis. The gem market is competitive, and not something I really want to deal with, so I'm content making a guaranteed sale every day without hassle, even if it is a little less.