Improving Those Old Dead Areas; Pt 1: Gurubashi Arena

Well out of sheer boredom and slight annoyance, I decided to make a chain of threads as I mosey around Azeroth and find areas that need a facelift in the form of 20 falcon punches so they won't just be a dead zone vanity area.

The first I noticed was Gurubashi Arena, immediatly when the name is heard you think of the scrambles of 20 people all trying to get that chest and the arena master trinket. But as with wotlk and BC, the population of it went down dismally. And with Cata, I really do not see this being fixed unless.

We change it from PvP. We will have Tol Barad for that, we can change this into a Ring of Blood-esque area, but not without differences other then 6 quests to kill elites and then get a worthless blue item.

Change #1: Make it worthwhile to people other then levelers.

Doing this wouldn't be all that hard, infact its original purpose was to be this. Basically the system would work like this, there would be several Goblin NPCs all with different names and titles, an example being this

Fera Sparkbolt
    <Newbie Combat Master>

this being that people for STV's baseline leveling path would be eligible to summon a mob and kill it, there would be 2 options. Solo and Group. the differences being fairly obvious.
    The goblins would summon mobs from a random pool of monsters, one time you may get a revenant, another you may get a yeti.
    The reward for doing it? Gold, some blues and random potions......at low levels.

At max level there are 3 options.

Group, Raid 10, and Raid 25
    It summons either a 5 man boss, a 10 man equivalent boss, or a 25 man equivalent boss. Now the raid bosses can only be summoned daily, but only a max of 5 times per week. Upon death they drop the previous tier of epic item and 2 badges of the current tier.
    So it can, in a way, bring back world raid bosses and encourage high levels to do something like this.

now i bet your wondering what would happen if some jackass alliance or horde came and kicked your ass. well the thing is, they cant.
    Only 1 group/person may have a boss summoned and there will be a barrier around the arena.

Now for another interesting part.

Change #2: Make it so that the place itself is a bit of a hotspot.

Well, make it almost a neutral city like. Hell if BB is ravaged, they could just goblin the place up and turn it into the new BB.
    Have trainers, an inn or 4, a bar. Landro. Quests and guards.

It's up to the player where they wanna hang out, but it might seem cool to get a top seat at the coliseum. kick back in the chair and sip a [Goblin Chug-e; Cherry Blast] while you watch a group of 25 nimrods take on Lord Oxa a wind revenant.

Anyhow that's it for now, so I hope you enjoyed the thread, and if someone would be so kind as to post this in the suggestion forums on the official forums (lolbanned along time ago) if you guys like this, id really appreciate it.

And if you do like this, then stay tuned (always wanted to say that) for Pt 2, whatever it may be.
    Gear = Skill, didn't you guys get the memo?

Re: Improving Those Old Dead Areas; Pt 1: Gurubashi Arena

I absolutely LOVE the idea.

It will also make PvE more of a spectator sport (other than watching pre-recorded videos).

It could bring mobs like Kazzak and other World Raid Bosses back as you said.

Also, before people say "but think of the amount of people fighting over starting the attempt".

Put in either one of the two:

1) Queue System: If an attempt is already in progress by another Group/Guild, you simply sign up and wait your turn (a yell will be made by the Goblin NPC to the Group/Raid Leader informing them that it is their turn and if they don't accept within 2 minutes, then they have to queue again).

2) Calendar System: You can "book" an appointment with the Goblin NPC in your Personal/Guild Calendar. You can only book one appointment per day... but in the calendar, you will also be able to see everyone else's booked attempts (you can only book 24 hours in advance... to prevent the calendar getting spammed and locking others out).

Obviously the above needs to be tweaked abit...

Either that, or... bring back attunements. You can only do the Gurubashi Arena 10/25 Raids if you are attuned.

This idea is:

(This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I approve of this.

REALLY good, never thought of that place actually becoming interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkatsu
    I absolutely LOVE the idea.

It will also make PvE more of a spectator sport (other than watching pre-recorded videos).

It could bring mobs like Kazzak and other World Raid Bosses back as you said.

Also, before people say "but think of the amount of people fighting over starting the attempt".

Put in either one of the two:

1) Queue System: If an attempt is already in progress by another Group/Guild, you simply sign up and wait your turn (a yell will be made by the Goblin NPC to the Group/Raid Leader informing them that it is their turn and if they don't accept within 2 minutes, then they have to queue again).

2) Calendar System: You can "book" an appointment with the Goblin NPC in your Personal/Guild Calendar. You can only book one appointment per day... but in the calendar, you will also be able to see everyone else's booked attempts (you can only book 24 hours in advance... to prevent the calendar getting spammed and locking others out).

Obviously the above needs to be tweaked abit...

Either that, or... bring back attunements. You can only do the Gurubashi Arena 10/25 Raids if you are attuned.
    how about an invisible queue of sorts.

you sign up at the NPC and she says your X in line.
    but to get in you must stay at the arena.
    So if someone leaves the arena area they are kicked from the queue, this does not affect groups but if the time comes and the player isnt present, they are simply not dragged into the arena.

of course since we are talking about raid bosses. the arena ofc will be Sized up and changed, the arena floor needs to accomodate big bosses like not one but two giants and such.

overall i like the idea a ton myself.

and again, post it on the official suggestion forums if someone would be so kind to do eet.

I LOVE the idea of an outdoor raid that everyone can watch you do, as long as they can't screw it up for you (thinking of Kazzak particularly, but also the old Dragons). That way, if you screw up, the whole server can watch and point and laugh Might bring a few guilds down a few pegs :P Would also be amazing to a new player to watch a full 25man hard mode raid, with all the bells and whistles (lots of pewpew lazorz), all in the safety of sitting in the stands protected by an invisible Dalaran-style megabubble

Problem is, it might be abused. Problems I could foresee:
    1. "Oh you scrub, GTFO you are only level 20, we are 25 level 85s waiting to raid this boss"
    2. "We are doing a raid now, come back later if you want to quest"
    3. "Hurry up damn Alliance, we want a go on this boss" (20 other guilds in queue)

and so on.

Would probably have to be more like old Dragon bosses, with a random spawn, but the general idea is sound to bring in an arena-style quest chain for levellers. Would hopefully serve to get some much needed education on working as a group - if you can teach this to people while they level, the game would be 100% better.

Possibly Blizzard could turn it into a proper arena, i.e. a place where people (of all classes/races/specs/level) can go to watch previous boss attempts or arena matches?perhaps something like in guild wars - you can watch pre-recorded pvp.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    I LOVE the idea of an outdoor raid that everyone can watch you do, as long as they can't screw it up for you (thinking of Kazzak particularly, but also the old Dragons). That way, if you screw up, the whole server can watch and point and laugh Might bring a few guilds down a few pegs :P Would also be amazing to a new player to watch a full 25man hard mode raid, with all the bells and whistles (lots of pewpew lazorz), all in the safety of sitting in the stands protected by an invisible Dalaran-style megabubble

Problem is, it might be abused. Problems I could foresee:
    1. "Oh you scrub, GTFO you are only level 20, we are 25 level 85s waiting to raid this boss"
    2. "We are doing a raid now, come back later if you want to quest"
    3. "Hurry up damn Alliance, we want a go on this boss" (20 other guilds in queue)

and so on.

Would probably have to be more like old Dragon bosses, with a random spawn, but the general idea is sound to bring in an arena-style quest chain for levellers. Would hopefully serve to get some much needed education on working as a group - if you can teach this to people while they level, the game would be 100% better.

Possibly Blizzard could turn it into a proper arena, i.e. a place where people (of all classes/races/specs/level) can go to watch previous boss attempts or arena matches?perhaps something like in guild wars - you can watch pre-recorded pvp.
    well another idea could be that there are different phases. and with some sort of terminal thing you can choose which phase to watch. and if you just arrived or want a random thing. it could show a random boss being fought.

pre recorded would just be the equivalent of frapsing the fight.
    that or alternativly.

just have 3 arenas set up for raids and stuff and people can go watch what they want.

it would be really cool to go and bring an entire guild to watch your raiders do a boss fight.
    id enjoy it...if i had a guild.

One idea i could add to this, instead of one arena how about it is expanded and there are two questing arenas, two pvp arenas where two arena teams can schedule a match on each other for others to watch, two 10 man arenas, and 2 25 man arenas, this is to shorten queues and also give new levelers a look at what raids and pvp are actually like. Plus you only get a certian number attempts on a boss or a certian number of time for the guild to be in the arena, like you are given 30 minutes, if the boss isnt killed by the timer it will despawn and you will be kicked out. Be alot more gladiator like style than ToC, and heck lot more fun.

15+ Year Old Account

This thread sounds familiar..
    Hope this link still works:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions/things-i'd-like-to-see-done-to-old-stuff-in-cata-(bullet-form-ideas)(lots!)part1/?PHPSESSID=e0cf1377b595456ef2e55e0f40ac0eba

For now you need to highlight the link and paste it's address, I don't know why it's being retarded, if someone can quote this and fix it that will help.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

i think that the rewards should stay as is, but:

-the mega trinket should only take 3 weaker trinkets to "make"
    -there should be big ogre guards with a pacifying aura for anyone over level 50. ( so only people that need the trinket can participate in the slaughter)
    -allow teleport to the area for about 5 minutes before the chest is dropped from any major city

this would add to the popularity, and lower the annoyance of really high levels fighting over who's twink buddy gets the trinket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue
    i think that the rewards should stay as is, but:

-the mega trinket should only take 3 weaker trinkets to "make"
    -there should be big ogre guards with a pacifying aura for anyone over level 50. ( so only people that need the trinket can participate in the slaughter)
    -allow teleport to the area for about 5 minutes before the chest is dropped from any major city

this would add to the popularity, and lower the annoyance of really high levels fighting over who's twink buddy gets the trinket.
    yeah but the point of this is to not make it something to do for a twink or for shits and giggles.

the point is to change it from just some dead arena, into some place that guilds and people would wanna hang out at. and on the side, get some friends together and go pug an arena boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes
    This thread sounds familiar..
    Hope this link still works:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions/things-i'd-like-to-see-done-to-old-stuff-in-cata-(bullet-form-ideas)(lots!)part1/?PHPSESSID=e0cf1377b595456ef2e55e0f40ac0eba

For now you need to highlight the link and paste it's address, I don't know why it's being retarded, if someone can quote this and fix it that will help.
    well great minds think alike dont they