Blizzard Adds Timestamps To WoW Armory

Found this on Slashdot:

"In a move that could cause serious privacy problems for players of World of Warcraft, Blizzard has added timestamps and an RSS feed to the game's online armory site. This new feature will mean that anyone can follow 'real-time' developments in a World of Warcraft character, which display the exact time and date, so that others can see that person's playing habits. Many players have already complained about the fact that there is no opt-out setting, and this opens very big possibilities for online stalking."

Original news item with links: http://slashdot.org/story/10/01/19/0...emWoWem-Armory

Sounds a bit worrying with no opt-out imo.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Blizzard Adds Timestamps To WoW Armory

I have to agree! Although I don't care much myself (its not like my wife will go to the Armory and find out I played last night), I think an opt-out should be possible.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

It doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why people would want an opt-out feature.
    Thank you to Serrin for the signature!
    PC Stuffs: i7-4790K | Z97X-SLI | 16GB DDR3-1866 | GTX-780 | 256GB Samsung EVO | 1TB WD Blue | SuperNOVA 650 Gold | Fractal r4 Blackout | Dark Rock Pro 3

15+ Year Old Account

I dont like this at all, its not good for my privacy.

I dont want other ppl to see when i was on and when i was not
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

This is a very serious issue.
    I hope they dont plan to make it like facebook, where the creepiest people with too much time on their hands can stalk people with ease.

The minimum thing they should implement is a opt-out and/or option that only people on the characters friendlist can see it when they are logged in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Upptagen
    In TBC Casual's had their raids, and Hardcores had thiers.
    Casuals could progress in Kara, Mag, Gruul and some might have gotten to SCC and TK.
    The hardcores had BT and Sunwell. But don't forget! Alot of hardcores claims Kara to be the best raid instance in the game ever made, so why you wanna go BT?
    "Casuals had their raids, Hardcores had thiers, just because they are harder, it must not mean they are more fun.

Worst thing: it could remind you at how much time you spend playing.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Samin
    Worst thing: it could remind you at how much time you spend playing.
    I'll give you a hypothetical, you raid with some chick and you have a relationship online, she gets annoying you tell her to f*** off, you start avoiding her online-ness and play when she isnt, she checks your armory and see's what times you play, she finds you irl around that time and kills you

THIS WOULD BE MUCH WORSE

Its just a matter of time until your armory page shows full name, address, telephone number, live webcam of you playing and live ingame video.
    Casuals could progress in Kara, Mag, Gruul and some might have gotten to SCC and TK.
    The hardcores had BT and Sunwell. But don't forget! Alot of hardcores claims Kara to be the best raid instance in the game ever made, so why you wanna go BT?
    "Casuals had their raids, Hardcores had thiers, just because they are harder, it must not mean they are more fun.

I personally don't like this, because all stuff like this does is make Progression for new 80's much harder than it needs to be. Timestamps could easily be used by Elitist to say "You haven't gotten anything for two months, you must be a noob now, you're not getting into my raids"

I just hate things like Gearscore, period. My Druid alt has a terrible time getting into NAXX.

finaly a way to control kids.

maybe wow will be more like mature ppl and less like "link achievelol or no inv"

rgds

Quote Originally Posted by BondGirl
    finaly a way to control kids.

maybe wow will be more like mature ppl and less like "link achievelol or no inv"
    I personally think that this whole gearscore/achievement crap comes from rather bad people (maybe a lot of kids, but also a lot of adults) who think that they are close to godlike now that they can walk around in close to BiS-gear, whereas in TBC no guild would invite them for Tier5++ content because they would always die in the fire.
    So I do not really see the new stalkers armory helping the current situation of random pugs. It was the "we force every retard to see every pixel we designed"-attitude that blizzard has now that made up the whole gs/achiev linking ish.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Nycon
    I'll give you a hypothetical, you raid with some chick and you have a relationship online, she gets annoying you tell her to f*** off, you start avoiding her online-ness and play when she isnt, she checks your armory and see's what times you play, she finds you irl around that time and kills you

THIS WOULD BE MUCH WORSE
    lol, shouldn't this be other way, that chick tells you to fuck off and you are starting stalk her?

Quote Originally Posted by Morthas

But people could log on and add you to their friends list could they not?

Well if its anyone you know in game thats checking your time stamps theres a good chance they know right around the time you normally play. Although i dont really see the need for timestamps to be added, if anything it should be an option in accounts that have parental controls so parents can check and see if little johnny was sleeping or if he was up all night killing dragons. And if you are worried about people seeing how much you actually play that means you your self are ashemd of how much you play and should maybe take a break, or realize there are far worse things you could be doing with your time then playing a video game and stop worrying what everyone else thinks.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Raid dodgers are the only ones who should be worried about this lol. Not to mention when true Id's are in the game people are always going to know what character/game your in from blizzard anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground
    Raid dodgers are the only ones who should be worried about this lol.
    And people not liking the new stalking possibilities that await us in the future in wow.
    Saying that the upcoming features will not be misused is like giving a machine gun to all 7 billion people in the world and expecting that they will not misuse it.

But maybe its just another way of trying to get more subscribers (getting the millions and millions of people who got addicted to community platform stalking).

If I'm going to stalk someone, it won't be a WoW player. If someone stalks me, I'd laugh. I mean...are you afraid you're going to get irritating whispers or something?

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Morthas

Exactly...there are some *people* IRL that I don't want to know what i'm doing etc.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

I can't really imagine this as being a bad thing. The only people that could get upset are the kind of people that take "privacy" as serious as it's defined.

As mentioned before, couldn't somebody just log on and add you to their friends list?

If you're worried about somebody who doesn't play knowing when you're online doing things, don't tell them your characters name or don't tell them about armory. If all else fails, change your name? It's really not a problem.

Something interesting, this death knight puts together a 10man ulduar to kill XT-002 for the weekly raid. Some of us try to zone in and we find that this instance has 2 bosses already down. The raid lead swears up and down that he's not saved and checked twice, and once before starting the group. I checked armory and it said he killed XT on 10player 4 days ago, on a wednesday. This is something I saw just after he hearthed to dalaran to "check for more" and ended up dropping group and going offline. HAHAHHAHAHA!