Thread: Disc Healing

Disc Healing

Heya out there.

I was wondering, and I have been for a while, why is Discipline priests considered MT healers only? My guild is currently running with 2 Discipline Priests on most of our 25-man runs. With a Holy Paladin or two with us, I go Raid-healing as Discipline, and reach a higher throughput, Healing and Absorbing both counting, than our Raid-healers. And that's topping our Restoration Druids, Holy Priests, Restoration Shamans and so on. On some fights, I wonder what it's like if I ain't playing raid-healer, and just let what I shield slip through. It's pretty effective pre-shielding, and some fights seem made for a Discipline raid-healer.

An example, Lady Deathwhisper. I pre-shield every shadowbolt comming from the boss, the tanks and if I got time, the people who move slowly out of thingie on floor. And shield the entire raid on Phase 2.

My armory: Disciplinea

Am I the only one out here using Discipline as both Raid-healing and tank-healing.

- Cheers

Re: Disc Healing

They aren't considered raid healers or tank healers.
    Id consider them more 'support healers'
    Filling the niches between raid damage for the raid healers to top people off and enough absorption on the tank for the holy paladin to get his heals in between.
    Discipline priests compliment each other healing class very efficiently Id say.

If someones just purely tank healing, or purely raid healing.
    Id say they're not doing the best of their abilities.

In 25 man raids Disc Priester are great for raidheal support.

I say support because it is hard for a disc to actually heal in most fights. With PoH being group- and rangebased and mending often being overwritten by holypriest spells it is hard to fully raidheal under actual constant dmg conditions. For most AE-Dmg healing druid and holy are better because of smart, cheap and instant spells that heal up to 6 members in range.

If you have a disc to spare in your 25 or are overrepresented with MT-Healers it can be a great addition in migating raiddmg but under normal conditions or 10man 2 healer setup a disc will never be a true raidhealer because of its limitations.

hope this helped someone

As being mentioned, Disc brings support.

What I always do in 25 man's is make sure I have grace up on the tank and heal him with flash heal / PoM / penance, getting some nice proccs from inspiration and DA. Pain supp when he is dropping really low. Our holydin is doing the rest.

If raidmembers are taking blows, shield then. (ofc if you know damage is incoming, pre-shield. I mean Jara, Faction Champs, Twins, Marrowgar and Gunship are absorb fest if you have the mana).
    Usually I leave it up to our shammy and holy priest raid healers to do their part, I can't compete with their haste levels anyway on AoE healing.

In 10 man you role is more on the tank, but then again, Holydin wins and shammy/druid ain't bad either.

Have you been hiding under a rock for the last 2 content patches?

It is common knowledge anywhere and everywhere that Disc is one of the worst (maybe even THE worst) choices for tank healer in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanouri

It is common knowledge anywhere and everywhere that Disc is one of the worst (maybe even THE worst) choices for tank healer in the game.
    Obvious troll is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanouri

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/em80yxfveebwuj9p/sum/healingDone/

World of Logs would like a word with you.

I won't even take into account Shanouri's post, he obviously does not have a single idea what disc talent tree is about Just forget about him nobody cares.

The real question is 25man to me. In 10man, I can easily heal both tanks and full raid shielding if required. Doing first part of IC10 with a resto drood and made almost 60% more healing on WoL (and my droodmate is a good healer i have to mention). Disc in 10 man is absolutely not a bad option. But I would assume that in 10man almost any class could deal with tank healing (maybe a little difficult for holy priests but I am not sur either).

In 25 man, there you almost always have at least 1 be often 2 holydins. There you switch from pure tank healer and raid protector to Tank protector and raid healers support, meaning I preserve direct healing for tanks (applying PW:S penance Gh or FH for DA and inspiration + Pain Suppression for OCRAPs) and raid heal support with PW:S PoM renew sometimes or PoH if serious situation (multiple DA is not so bad). But I mostly heal tanks and protect raid I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ândrömèdâ
    I won't even take into account Shanouri's post, he obviously does not have a single idea what disc talent tree is about Just forget about him nobody cares.

The real question is 25man to me. In 10man, I can easily heal both tanks and full raid shielding if required. Doing first part of IC10 with a resto drood and made almost 60% more healing on WoL (and my droodmate is a good healer i have to mention). Disc in 10 man is absolutely not a bad option. But I would assume that in 10man almost any class could deal with tank healing (maybe a little difficult for holy priests but I am not sur either).

In 25 man, there you almost always have at least 1 be often 2 holydins. There you switch from pure tank healer and raid protector to Tank protector and raid healers support, meaning I preserve direct healing for tanks (applying PW:S penance Gh or FH for DA and inspiration + Pain Suppression for OCRAPs) and raid heal support with PW:S PoM renew sometimes or PoH if serious situation (multiple DA is not so bad). But I mostly heal tanks and protect raid I would say.
    If there's two holy pallys, I generally just shield tanks on CD.
    And then shield the raid with PoM, Penance, Flash heal filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Blythe
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    And it's you?
    Step in a 25 man with your Holy Paladin having the night off, and watch how far your Disc Priest goes as a MT healer (not support).

The Holy Paladin can carry your entire raid's ass.
    Then it's Druids > Shaman > Disc > Holy.

Where have you been for the last two content patches, you know, the part where their output doesn't truly scale?
    Single Target HPS is gimped not blessed because of absorption, they don't want Discipline feeling too powerful.

It's okay for Holy Paladins though :
    Quote Originally Posted by Ândrömèdâ
    I won't even take into account Shanouri's post, he obviously does not have a single idea what disc talent tree is about
    Disc Talent tree is about "support". Not tank healing. If you aren't agreeing with that, I'd have to ask what makes you think you're getting differently out of the talent tree?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti

Single Target HPS is gimped not blessed because of absorption, they don't want Discipline feeling too powerful.

It's okay for Holy Paladins though
    Holy Paladin's sacred shield is based off a set number and not based off their spell power like disc. So, it kind of evens out.

Our only throughput comes from Grace. One target. Change heal someone else : you loose spellpower... My thinking is that blizzard had in mind that MAYBE we could try to avoid changing too often our targets with this talent.

Basically, anyone can focus on tank or on raid. But I consider "Raid healer" a class whose tree allows improved group healing. When it comes to healing the raid with single target spells, then you're not raid healer to me.

And you could put paladins for raid healing, they would probably be the best ass-savers for some of your players with almost instant full-life recovery, except than even when healing 4, 5 more have died in the damage area. Anyone can do anything, the point is to focus on what you're more efficient at. Filling the gaps when pallies are not there on the tank is a usefull healing for the encounter).

I will never say disc should be only tank healing it would be stupid. Focus on tanks, supporting raid this is how i see our spec or at least how I play it. Only bubbling tanks is a huge mitigation loss, and tanks are those who need mitigation the most right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsters
    Holy Paladin's sacred shield is based off a set number and not based off their spell power like disc. So, it kind of evens out.
    Their continuous solid single target HPS would like to have a word with you. And I thought Sacred Shield scaled for Holy Paladins, but not for the SP gained from Prot or Ret.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I do both tank healing and Raid healing. It just really really depends on the fight that we are doing. Lady Deathwhisper I am normally on tanks, throwing shields to the raid as needed and when i can. On Boat...well this fight isn't hard regardless. On Saurfang, I spend 90% of that fight shielding and proccing DA on bloodboil targets, shielding tanks on CD. On Festergut, I do A LOT of raid healing / shielding. On Rotface, I take care of the Injection people (again shielding / penance) and throwing shields on the kite tank / MT on CD. On Putricide they had me MT healing which went well. I just feel on that fight I would be better suited at doing my support healing on the raid. Shielding and throwing heals to who needs them.
    Words are a wonderful form of communication, but they will never replace kisses and punches. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Their continuous solid single target HPS would like to have a word with you. And I thought Sacred Shield scaled for Holy Paladins, but not for the SP gained from Prot or Ret.
    If that were true, you wouldn't be able to even touch a holydin in pvp with 3k spell power seeing as how their shield is constant and doesn't wear off after a certain amount of dmg absorbed.

It's not so much that disc is tank or raid only healing as it is disc simply have the best burst healing. Disc also offers damage reduction that no other spec offers and what better place to start it than the tanks who need the most healing/prevention anyway? If your raid only wants you healing the tank as a disc priest, they have no idea how to properly use a disc priest.