Thread: AoE mages

AoE mages

Hi all

My mage is finally ready for northend, but I wanted him to level with LF random only. But I was wondering which tree is best for AoE-ing.

I am also wondering wether Living bom is castable on multiple targets at the same time.
    Main shaman: Shaman Alt Paladin: Paladin
    Alt lvl 73 mage: Mage Alt lvl 70 Death knight: Death Knight
    Random dungeon project: Druid Battleground project: Rogue
    Worgen project: Warlock Future alt: Hunter

Re: AoE mages

From what I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I've talked mage with my friends, Frost is aoe king for mages, talent out everything to improve blizzard. Spellpower + Haste is god. But then again, they ner- I mean fixed, the Lightning Capacitor like, ages ago, so I dont know if all of this is true anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceforge
    <----------------WOOSH
    HEAD

Frost if your lazy, Fire if you arent.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/world-of-warcraft-lore-by-richard-knaak-(spoilers)/

living bomb can be casted on multiple targets.
    Blizzard is a nice aoe spell, as now it can crit on landing.
    Go for fire spec, you will do more damage on a single target thanks to ignite talent

LB can definitely be cast on several targets at once - ever since 3.2

All mage trees are pretty strong when it comes to aoe, but I find that specced arcane I do more damage with the usual ABx4 -> MB rotation, tab targetting between mobs so you don't waste a cast. Plus that way you can epeen on bosses which is always nice.

Fire might have the edge with LB if all mobs are living long enough, but that's quite a hassle and very mana intensive. If you're looking for fast dirty aoe you might want to spec frost for improved Blizzard (the slowing effect you'll add can also be handy for oshit moment in instances).

I've seen arcane mages with untalented blizzard do very competitive dps with just Blizzard though, so it's unlikely to be much of an issue imo.