Highest Dps Rotation and spec

Hey I have a frost mage currently at level 72 and am getting close to changing to Arcane. Just wanted to find out from people what I should go with for spec and rotation because and what I should gem for on my gear. I am brand new to casting.

Re: Highest Dps Rotation and spec

You will want to get the glyphes for Arcane Blast and Arcane Missiles and your rotation will most likely be something like Arcane Blast (3 to 4 times) followed by Arcane Missiles. The 3-4 times depends on your mana issues. If your mana sustains without a problem go for 4 times but if you encounter mana problems go for 3 times...

Also if you do have mana problems before switching to 3 arcane blasts try using mage armor instead of molten armor. At that level your gear will most likely not have much spirit (and therefor crit) anyway.

Due to the 2 min cooldown on evocation you can use that a LOT too to prevent possible mana issues. You should be able to nuke everything before it gets close to you and still have enough mana to play without significant downtime (other than the evocation every 2 minutes)

During Raids should I do the same thing? AB4AM then repeat? Do I do Arcane Barrage at all?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by tylerlovell
    During Raids should I do the same thing? AB4AM then repeat? Do I do Arcane Barrage at all?
    Never do more then 4 AB, well not never, but 99% of the times*. If Mbarr procced throw away your AM, if mbaar haven't procced at 4 AB use the Abarr. Well just do what feels right, but that's like the thing to aim for.. sometimes i go for 5 just to get that Mbarr..

*(And the time to just continue with Ab if your Mbarr haven't procced is in a nuke phase at like 5% of the boss hp and you will manage with your mana).
    It's all about mana mangement, a ratio between your burn of mana and the boss HP. Kinda hard to explain, i do like 6-7k in Icc but i could aswell do 4-5 if i dont get the "burn" correct.. The best thing is to be at 1% (0) when the boss dies without having to compromise your rotation.
    hope you found the words useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Plonkas
    Never do more then 4 AB, well not never, but 99% of the times*. If Mbarr procced throw away your AM, if mbaar haven't procced at 4 AB use the Abarr. Well just do what feels right, but that's like the thing to aim for.. sometimes i go for 5 just to get that Mbarr..

*(And the time to just continue with Ab if your Mbarr haven't procced is in a nuke phase at like 5% of the boss hp and you will manage with your mana).
    It's all about mana mangement, a ratio between your burn of mana and the boss HP. Kinda hard to explain, i do like 6-7k in Icc but i could aswell do 4-5 if i dont get the "burn" correct.. The best thing is to be at 1% (0) when the boss dies without having to compromise your rotation.
    hope you found the words useful.
    please dont spread misinformation. If mbarr has not proced after 4ab you continue to spam for the mbarr proc as much as your mana permits. IF you end up not getting mbarr before you have to stop you use AM anyway to clear the stack. Abarr is a last resort "oh shit fire under me and I'm going to lose my stack." button.

When you start raiding in your blues and greens I'd say sticking to a strict AB4AM rotation is viable on most boss fights, you could probably use ABSpamMBAM on 5 man's though since they last about 30 seconds these days.

But once you gradually obtain a larger mana pool, more spirit, and you're in a 25 man situation you can just use ABSpamMBAM for the duration of the entire fight.

Just to confirm:-

• AB4AM = Cast Arcane Blast four times, and then Arcane Missiles regardless of proc. Slightly lower DPS but greater DPM value.
    • ABSpamMBAM = Spam Arcane Blast until you get a Missile Barrgae proc, then use Arcane Missiles. Higher DPS, lower DPM value.

So you'll find you will mostly modifying your rotation between those two based on fight length, and aim to end the fight just as you're about to go oom.

EDIT: About ABarr...

Abarr is pretty much redundant now in standard PvE and is limited to a movement spell, alongside Fire Blast (obviously Arcane Blast is in preference). It's worth sticking on your bars but it's use is entirely situational to such an extent that for many fights mages don't spec for it at all.