Need help clarifying some lore

I'm looking to learn the lore of world of warcraft, I've played for 5 years but I never played WC123 or ever really looked into the story beyond "Illidan is bad".

If someone knows of some sites with pages and pages of reading material I would be very happy, everything I have found on my own is a rather brief summary.

I have too much free time so hit me with the geekiest nerd-lore you know of ^^

Thanks, and sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Re: Need help clarifying some lore

wowwiki.com is the place to go.

Write for example "Illidan" and you can read everything about him and when you encounter another event/character you do not know about you just click on that name I can spend hours there marveling at the brilliance of the Warcraft saga.

I'm looking for something a little more linear than that, because I honestly don't even know where to begin!

i like wow.com
    just as good as anything else

Type Titans in wowwiki.
    From there it should take you to old gods, and so on and so forth.

10+ Year Old Account

yeah wowwiki is a great start, but you could also start reading the books if you really want to dig deep in the lore, but you get most of the information from the books from wowwiki

Quote Originally Posted by Earthson
    Type Titans in wowwiki.
    From there it should take you to old gods, and so on and so forth.
    This, or start with the Night Elves. http://www.wowwiki.com/Night_elf
    Their history intertwines with a good bit of the world and the major events that have gone down. Hell, a lot of the race pages would be good places to start (orcs, humans, night elves, trolls).

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan
    I'm looking for something a little more linear than that, because I honestly don't even know where to begin!
    Well, the basic story can be found here, on Blizzard's own site.

I also advise you to check the WoWWiki retcons page, because some things aren't quite the same as they were in that version.

If you find yourself being absorbed into the story, I advise you to try some of the novels. The best ones in my opinion are:

-Rise of the Horde
    -Tides of Darkness
    -Beyond the Dark Portal
    -Lord of the Clans
    -Arthas: Rise of the Lich King

I, like you, am a recent convert from "ask my lore geek buddies" to "become one myself", and I concur that wowwiki is an amazing source.

I also sympathize with your desire for a linear approach, and so I recomend some books!

The war of the ancients trilogy is amazing, it should be dirt cheap on amazon, or you can hit up the library. I am not aware of any books set earlier in time than these three.

Also of note:

-Day of the dragon
    -Night of the dragon
    -Lord of the clans
    -Rise of the horde
    -The last guardian
    -The Warcraft compliation (includes day of the dragon, lord of the clans, the last guardian and a really good short story by Chris Metzen about Tirion Fordring... The name escapes me and I'm posting from my phone)
    -Arthas, Rise of the Lich King

Coming soon:

-Stormrage
    -Cataclysm

There are comics/graphic novels as well, but I can't recall them offhand.
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon
    -The Warcraft compliation (includes day of the dragon, lord of the clans, the last guardian and a really good short story by Chris Metzen about Tirion Fordring... The name escapes me and I'm posting from my phone)
    Of Blood and Honor.

Dunno, I just don't like stuff with Rhonin in it :/ He's such a bloody pet character, he has powers beyond what the lore allows him to have, and I just hate the way Knaak writes, that weird combination of old terminology and modern american English... :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann
    Of Blood and Honor.

Dunno, I just don't like stuff with Rhonin in it :/ He's such a bloody pet character, he has powers beyond what the lore allows him to have, and I just hate the way Knaak writes, that weird combination of old terminology and modern american English... :-\
    hehe it's a common gripe, and one I sympathize with, but I wanted to present as many as I could remember offhand, I think between you and I we got all of them.
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

This is a good page on wowwiki

http://www.wowwiki.com/History_of_Warcraft

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon
    hehe it's a common gripe, and one I sympathize with, but I wanted to present as many as I could remember offhand, I think between you and I we got all of them.
    Yep, we have all the novels. ^^

Oh, I'd also recommend the Ashbringer comic miniseries (4 parts). It nicely ties in with the Death Knight starting experience, plus the story's awesome.