What to choose? Dps MM or Survival?

Hello guys, im just wondering what's best spec for hunter to dps in, and why? i've asked many good hunters on my server. But that was like 50% said survival and the other 50% said MM. What to choose? please help
    I played my warlock so much that i sacrificed my dog to not get 1 shot by car.

Re: What to choose? Dps MM or Survival?

Sticky, first page.

The Marksmanship Hunter

And I quote,

"As a Marksmanship Hunter in Wrath of the Lich King, you are expected to deal competitive DPS compared to other Classes and bring a very important buff, in Trueshot Aura. Note that MM will only yield higher DPS than Survival if you are moderately well geared, this usually means an iLvL 232 ranged weapon."

There's your general answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocstar
    My personal belief is that whoever plays a hunter in the arena testing they have done since season 1 is just a monster, skilled beyond all belief and manages to whomp on the testers playing other classes. They in turn nerf hunters each and every patch to close the gap on this superhuman hunter demigod.... Slow down on the skills man, we don't stand a chance now and we can't take much more of the nerf bat.

if your group needs 10% ap marks
    if your group needs replenishment surv

if neither, marks has a higher potential dps
    Val'anyr Completed: July 9
    Mimiron's Head
    Comablack @ magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by comablack
    if your group needs 10% ap marks
    if your group needs replenishment surv

if neither, marks has a higher potential dps
    Not sure how many SV hunters have many points in hunting party now, when they needed to scavenge for points to put into improved stings.

On spreadsheet MM numbers are larger then SV, however various encounters will lend to one being better then the other.

Regardless, if the spec is well played, then they can be very comparable for most encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolme
    Hello guys, im just wondering what's best spec for hunter to dps in, and why? i've asked many good hunters on my server. But that was like 50% said survival and the other 50% said MM. What to choose? please help
    Link your armory, that makes it easier for us to tell you what would give you the most dps

But both of them are fun, I played survival for a long time but when my gear started to become better I went to MM and now Im at 7-8k dps :P

Was surv since WotLK and i just took dual spec. Solo i do = dps. but as my 10man group dont have 10% ap buff. i think ill play mark on most fight. From what i've read mark is better than surv when you have a good ranged weap AND enough armor pen (500+) im at 400 but my 2h weap dont have any so probably when ill change it.

So what you need to know: mark - trueshot aura buff / higher dps than surv with good ranged weap and decent armor pen
    surv - replenishment / some more crit and ap

I prefer surv spells and rotation but ill go mark if no other unter or blood dk in group.

giief 1300 armor penetration with no trinket proc and face roll over all other dpsers ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho2009
    giief 1300 armor penetration with no trinket proc and face roll over all other dpsers ;D
    except Feral Kitties. No matter how hard I try and whatever guild im in theres always that one damn cat I can't beat. He cheats though he uses our druid tank as a mangle bot

Quote Originally Posted by Threndsa
    except Feral Kitties. No matter how hard I try and whatever guild im in theres always that one damn cat I can't beat. He cheats though he uses our druid tank as a mangle bot
    It always pisses me off when droods complain there dps is to low. With a drood tank or an arms warrior they can do such (at least the last time I raided with one) insane dps. But from what I've heard and seen I have to assume they are one of the more skill dependent classes, which I guess is why I see so many of them whine that they need buffs. I just want to yell "fking l2p already" but that would only make things worse.

Yea whenever someone whines about the hybrid tax I say look up meters on feral druids /topic

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Lolme
    MM is just abit better (dependant on the fight, movement ect..) but you need around 700-800 Armor Penetration to change, im still lacking around 200-300 before i can change, currently MM hunter is on top of the DPS with around 9,000 - 14,000 (Hodir HM <3)

Once I've got that, MM all the way, hell yeahz!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekoor
    Sticky, first page.

The Marksmanship Hunter

And I quote,

"As a Marksmanship Hunter in Wrath of the Lich King, you are expected to deal competitive DPS compared to other Classes and bring a very important buff, in Trueshot Aura. Note that MM will only yield higher DPS than Survival if you are moderately well geared, this usually means an iLvL 232 ranged weapon."

There's your general answer.
    And its generally wrong aswell. If you want to know what will yeild better dps for ya, go shoot a dummy and look at the results. If you want to know it with raid buffs, have both speccs ready and test em out in raid situations. You can get an estimate from spreadsheets tho.
    But saying ilvl 232 -> this way ..is just wrong. Proved too many times already, to even argue about it.