Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: So what mechanic do you want added to the Lich King encounter?

The lich kings walks slowly down from the throne... "Let the games begin! ... again"

blue swirling clouds start to circle him, if any player is hit by a cloud they spawn a totc heroic faction champ, there is no emote for who touched any cloud
    10 seconds into the encounter, Mimiron climbs out from behind the throne.. with his clone self, MimironmkII .. players will have to deal with the double mimirons while dealing with the lich king

at 75% professor putricide starts to do flyovers from above on his onyxia drake mount, he will throw down maleable goo and gas bombs onto the raid.. the onyxia mount will randomly deep breath more often then you remember it doing so

Once the lich king is on 50% Snobolds that were carefully concealed under the lich kings cloak will randomly jump out and land on peoples heads, these snobolds have learned to jump on druid froms by now

Once you get the lich king to 25% the frozen throne starts to crack and the area becomes smaller, professor putricide crashes his onyxia mount into the frozen throne causing an avalanche.. all players, remaining mobs and the lich king start to tumble off of the side of the citadel

players have till they hit the bottom to burn down his remaining health!

Come on Blizz make it happen

I think its obvious that we players will not tank him, frostmourne can destroy any weapon or shield as it was at the wrathgate. The only weapon that can stand against Frostmourne is ofc the Ashbringer :O (and some funny sword that Kael'thas had in the book about Lich King).

Deleted

Fires fires and more fires!!! :P

didnt read the rest of the replys before posting this--but when i think of the lich king encounter, for some reason i think of that zelda game--majora's mask. when battling the last boss (whos a pawn wearing an evil mask) there is a part wehre you have defeated the initial mob, but then you have to take on the mask itself, which has a few phases of its own. something like that with the cursed helm would be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlorlesh
    this would only be the case if it scaled with sub zero percentages.
    Sub zero percentages? You mean like -30%?

Wouldn't that cause the damage you deal to heal him?

In either case they could make it so it won't go below a specific percentage.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivale
    I would say a mechanic that checks to see if the raid leader is currently using Gearscore. If so, the Lich King automatically 1-shots the entire raid.
    WIN! I could use a new signature. Congrats! I lolled soo much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    That said, I'm going to bed. Having a conversation in this context with someone with an avatar alluding to heroine use is just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Auru
    The lich kings walks slowly down from the throne... "Let the games begin! ... again"

blue swirling clouds start to circle him, if any player is hit by a cloud they spawn a totc heroic faction champ, there is no emote for who touched any cloud
    10 seconds into the encounter, Mimiron climbs out from behind the throne.. with his clone self, MimironmkII .. players will have to deal with the double mimirons while dealing with the lich king

at 75% professor putricide starts to do flyovers from above on his onyxia drake mount, he will throw down maleable goo and gas bombs onto the raid.. the onyxia mount will randomly deep breath more often then you remember it doing so

Once the lich king is on 50% Snobolds that were carefully concealed under the lich kings cloak will randomly jump out and land on peoples heads, these snobolds have learned to jump on druid froms by now

Once you get the lich king to 25% the frozen throne starts to crack and the area becomes smaller, professor putricide crashes his onyxia mount into the frozen throne causing an avalanche.. all players, remaining mobs and the lich king start to tumble off of the side of the citadel

players have till they hit the bottom to burn down his remaining health!

Come on Blizz make it happen

As silly as this sounds I doubt they could make any encounter more intense than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by B@ndit
    A phase where dps and heal are reversed. You have to heal raid members with dps and dps boss with heal spell. normal > reversed > normal > reversed switch every 30 seconds with a perma damage on the whole raid, like a necrotic aura or something like that.
    Finally something not already done in a raid! ooo i love it hehe rogue heals ftw!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

I'd love if Tirion Fordring would tank him with Ashbringer, and it would be a DPS race to get the Lich King down before Tirion dies.. Tirion did say that he would finish what he started at Light's Hope, I'm sure he'll be interacting with Arthas in the fight somehow 8)
    Signature.. Am I doing this right?

*Raid walks up to the Lich King*

Don't look so smug! I know what you're thinking, but The Culling was merely a set back. Did you honestly believe I would trust the future to some senile, old priest in plate ? Hahahaha... Oh no, no, no, he was merely an instrument, a stepping stone to a much larger plan! It has all led to this...and this time, you will not interfere!

But fo reals, it would be cool if say at 5-10% he began casting a spell that would wipe the raid and you needed to burn him down to make him lose his concentration so that Tirion could kill him.

Or the Hard mode. You walk in and Arthas and Tirion are fighting and you have to either pull him off Tirion or let them keep fighting. If you let them keep fighting(you'd have about 5 seconds to decide) then Arthas will incapacitate Tirion and during the fight will periodically drain health from him, giving him a stacking buff that increases his damage by 10% each one until it stacks to 100%. At this point, Tirion will die and Arthas will wipe the raid. The fight's normal mode could just be a survival fight like really healing intensive, tanks need to coordinate cooldowns and pull off each other at the right moments, dps needs to move out of slime/fire/deathsauce until the last 5% when he starts the spell thing and then it's a dps race.

I would really like to see an Epic battle between Tirion and Arthas - in which we take both sides, as the LK makes his promise true and finally grabs our souls, letting us fight against tirion and his allies. Maybe we come to our senses after some %.

some of my favorites that need to get in there are
    -fires
    -nomnom tentacles that transport you to
    -the stomach, where you have to kill souls of the deceased which arthas ate like candy in order to be vomited out
    -a big AoE to run out of
    -a mechanic similar to the last boss in the abomination wing of naxx, but it will be +, -, * and / that have to group together. north, east, south, west. 8)
    -riding around on a dragon, killing other dragons. srsly.
    -at the very end, a chase scene that's the exact opposite of the halls of reflection. we're chasing down a low hp lich king and have to use special traps in order to slow him down and kill him. 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha
    didnt read the rest of the replys before posting this--but when i think of the lich king encounter, for some reason i think of that zelda game--majora's mask. when battling the last boss (whos a pawn wearing an evil mask) there is a part wehre you have defeated the initial mob, but then you have to take on the mask itself, which has a few phases of its own. something like that with the cursed helm would be cool.
    Already a boss like this. The Black Knight 8) in saying of boss phases where you keep re-killing him till he finally dies. Arthas's body shell dying and then we take on the cursed helmet alone would be SWEET though, but possibly not matching up with lore. oh well.

Although the last boss in majora's mask was indeed brilliant. LOVED the skinny mask-creature that ran around alot xD good old times. Although much too easy with the Diety mask >.>

I would say a mechanic that checks to see if the raid leader is currently using Gearscore. If so, the Lich King automatically 1-shots the entire raid.
    You win the thread.
    R.I.P Ronnie James Dio 1942 - 2010

Deleted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOErZuzZpS8

A must have of any boss encounter.

i hope they put in something like in mags lair with the box things you need to use to banish him or w/e

10+ Year Old Account

I hate gearscore bashers.
    ... what's that I hear?
    OH LOOK! It's another bandwagon for you to jump onto! Quickly, before people stop caring about that too!

But seriously, I want the entire encounter to be tank dependent, that way I'll one shot it due to there being no avoidable damage for the dps to die from *cough cough Rotface cough Blood Princes cough cough cough*

Festergut was one of the most enjoyable encounters for me because the dps didn't have a lot of ways to stuff it up.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Some of the mechanics folk are suggesting seem to be purely retard checks. Things like Magtheridons boxes etc. I honestly dont want that.

I for one expect the fight to last the duration that a last boss should. Think Kael , Illidan, Kiljaeden and even Yogg. Multiple phase encounter with an enrage timer pushing on the 20-25 minute mark like Illidans was. The fight needs to have some small retard checks of course, but purely having that mechanic as the end all be all of the encounter doesnt really make me burst with excitement. You'll most likely have your average 5-10yard spread mechanics. Theres slight retard checks within that titself. I wouldnt be surpised if we see some form of "Get out of the fire" mechanic too. Even Illidan had its own retard check in the eye beams of p2.

I hope to see at least one phase in the encounter that is truly crushing of the spirit and requires 100% teamwork and every player maximising themselves. The whole aura in the instance will over time make the encounter puggable and im not one of those people who think olol omg my content not scrub content wtf etc. So I dont have an issue with pugs being able to see the content. I mean Blizz has made Putri, Blood Queen and I expect Sindragosa and LK of a high standard EVEN on normal mode to set a bar of time that even casuals will see the fight. They understand the difference between bad and casual. Anyway rambling offtopic there.

Anwyay i'd like something along the lines of this

Arena is the top of ICC frozen throne area. I apologise for the rambling way of describing this that may make half of it make no sense.

p1 :- LK has a random splash attack that is targettable on ranged, ensures must be spread x yards apart(lets say 6). Like Vezax has the 30% mechanic so healers dont NEED to be spread but for melee heavy raids healers may need to soak this.This is an ability he uses roughly every 8-12 seconds. dealing x shadow dmg(resistable by Shadow Res Aura) In addition to this players will be targetted by a soul drain that lasts 10 seconds. Whilst they are targetted by the soul drain they take x dmg per sec/2 sec. If they die they are ressurected as an undead and are mind controlled(undispellable. killed players that are ressurected are re-mind controlled) In phase 1 he does this ability every 30-45 second(cd is 30 but he may not cast it instantly). In addition to this he does a saberlash style ability that deals nothing major dmg to the 2 ot's as he's hitting the MT very hard. It just gives some use to the 3 tanks that are mainly used in p2. This phase ends at 70%

p2 :- The LK becomes untargettable and moves up to the frozen throne. Sindragosa is not fully defeated (yes we looted her corpse and she looked dead ! but who knows). Good NPCs come in to assist for this. In addition to Sindragosa waves of adds are arriving from 2 sides of the encounter requiring you to split your raid into 3 camps. None of the NPCs are exceptional tanks so your own tanks are required. In each pack to the right and left there is a commander (who increases physical dmg of all mobs around him by 10% and frost dmg by 100% - CAN include Sindragosa' and DOES stack with other commander to avoid LOLAOE plans). Sindragosa deals a frost breath thats in a cone. Her dmg is not massive unless the Commanders are near in which she WILL 1 shot your Sindragosa Tank(unless he is using FrR perhaps - this allows some strategy planning based on each guild). The other adds is a frost mage (who does gain the commanders buff. But the dmg it deals even with the buff is similar to a normal frostbolt, just when the commanders dead its insignificant), an affliction style warlock (Corruption, Curse of Agony and Shadow bolts) all 3 abilities which hit 3 targets to give lots of dispelling and decursing requirements as well as adding some raid dmg and finally a footman style (just like a warrior really does some bleeds on your OTs). All of the adds are CCable by Shackles, Traps, Repentence and Cyclone (they are undead so no Sheep, Fear and whatnot). Sindragosa also has a buff that increases spell haste by 20% that is removable. In addition every 30/45/60 seconds she will cover 1/4 of the room with a frozen mist that deals frost dmg over time as you stand in it and slows movement. Players caught in the blast will recieve HIGH frost dmg. There is a small safe area within the middle.

the adds are on a 30/45/60 second timer(this is to jion with the blast sindragosa does above. Balanced based on how difficult and the health of the adds. The goal is to burn Sindragosa down to her final 100% guaranteed, no really there is no setback here death and balance the transition with the waves of adds on the side. Once this occurs Phase 3 starts and LK returns to the encounter.

P3 :- The Lich King does a large ability that stuns all the raid before rejionng the encounter. Some RP junk occurs that renders the NPCs useless against a wall or something. Phase 3 works very similar to phase 1 although the Saberlash is hitting the OTs a bit more, and the Soul Drain has changed. The soul drain now lasts 15 seconds, the dot hurts more and if within the 15 seconds 5 players get within 3-5 yards of that player they receive a buff that increases damage dealt by 1% stacking to 10 per second they are next to that person. The splash attack is still present and used as often. This is a major balance phase where players have to choose between gaining the buff and dealing dmg or avoiding splash etc. Finally to really screw the raiders brains about that balance if the person with the soul drain dies ALL players within 3-5 yards of them are ALSO mind controlled. This phase lasts for 1 minute, or until 30% is reached.

P4(if 30% is NOT reached) :- Similar to P2 except no Sindragosa and the LK is still present in the fight, but isnt Saberlashing as he has tossed Frostmourne into the air which is draining hp from the npcs (33.34% per phase so you have to free them before 3 phases are up if you want to that is). Furthermore you have no NPCs helping on the dps here. The MT dmg is minute as the LK has no weapon. Two waves of adds will spawn on each side. In addition to the adds being on their30 second timer the shackles bidning the npc's will be targettable. Once they are broken that NPC rejoins the encounter. The NPCs are the same based on horde /alliance (Jaina/Sylvanas/Varian/Saurfang etc etc) and when you free them they all give buffs.

Jaina - Radiance Aura (mp5 + spelldmg dealt)
    Sylvanas - Movement Speed
    Varian - +Hp or something
    Saurfang - (Physical Dmg dealt + a small passive energy/rage/rp/focus(for pets) gain like the mp5 of Radiance Aura)
    Tirion - +Stats or %Stats or healing done or w/e

^ All able to be changed.

P4 lasts for 1 minute and returns to p3.

Phase 5: Begins at 30% LK does some RP mumbo jumbo with Frostmourne that does 1 of 2 things. If Tirion is present in the fight some rp between the two of them occurs and Tirion does stuff that shatters Frostmourne with Ashbringer. If Tirion is not present Frostmourne does not shatter and LK is all "lol your screwed mates". Ofcourse this is like the hardmode bridge here similar to Yogg with the help of 5,4,3,2,1,0 npc's.

If Tirion didnt shatter Frostmourne the LK deals an additional % of dmg . If he did that isnt present. In addition if Full Frostmourne is present he will deal an additional attack that AoE drains every 30 seconds taking away 1% dmg/healing and 5% health making this the end BURN phase. Where you have ot burn his 30% before he kills you.

He uses all of the same abilities as in p3 so splash, soul drain etc. He never enters p4 again either so getting more npc's is impossible. The NPCs make this phase really easy, so the hardness comes when you take them out. Hitting p5 with all 5 'npc's would basically be like KT end phase where unless your raid gets complacent with the Soul Drain and splash they cant really lose it, but considering the length that the fight looks to be you will be pushing 15-20 minutes by this point anyway so folk will be losing concentration so the element of skill is still there.

A stacking debuff on the raid that does more and more damage throughout either the entire fight or just the last phase/burn section.

A teleporting mechanic a-la Kalecgos/Yogg Saron where you go into Frostmourne's room and kill stuff/do stuff.

Adds that spawn and if they are not killed fast enough explode for either aoe radius damage or just plain old raid damage.

A phase shift ability where parts of the floor start falling off and unfortunate/stupid raid members fall to their deaths.

... oh wait thats already part of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    I hate gearscore bashers.
    ... what's that I hear?
    OH LOOK! It's another bandwagon for you to jump onto! Quickly, before people stop caring about that too!
    Except it's not a bandwagon, it's pure logic. "Oh look, this guy has got 5k gearscore, OMFG HE ARE LEIK TUTALIEH IMBAAHHH!!", yet he stands in the fire all the time and nukes the target with all he's got, no matter if it's blowing up or spinning like a madman.

I really hate Gearscore defenders.

There's some nice suggestions here, although I don't see how the 1% heal and dps at 1% would be possible.

Assuming the Lich King has got 8 million health in 10-player mode(only thing I raid, so bear with me), that'll be 80.000 health. Assuming a raid with 3 healers, two tanks and five dps, with average dps of 5k with tanks doing 2,5k, reduce that to 1% and you've got 50 dps from damage dealers, and 25 from the tanks.

5 dps doing 50 dps = 250 dps.
    2 tanks doing 25 dps = 50 dps.
    That's a total raid damage of 300 dps.

Now let's see at those 80.000 hit points. 80000 divided by 300 is 266,7 seconds. That's almost five minutes just to get him from 1% to death. Add to that 1% healing, and the boss still doing full damage, and it'll be literally impossible to kill him, unless the NPCs joining either wouldn't be affected by the damage reduction, or were throwing out buffs that'd help counter it(such as a buff cast on two players removing the damage reduction and increasing damage dealt by 100%)

Otherwise the idea of reduced damage and healing the lower he gets is fine, just have to be realistic numbers However, I'm sure Blizzard has something planned for it