Thread: Deathwing fight

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted

Re: Deathwing fight

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogames
    The tank-less phases (2 and 3) are a concern, though Phase 2 isn't very long and nobody is really fighting during it anyways. For phase 3, I had considered putting adds in ( decided to keep them reserved for Phase 4's Hard mode) or having the players 'tank' his front limbs to keep them from swiping at the DPS focusing on his plates. In the end, I decided both kind of put another level of distraction in on a phase that really should be all about "Holy crap, hang on and get away from that geyser of magma-blood!" It really is a DPS-centric phase, which I think we should be ok with. The tanks can still get in there and DPS on the plates, and their survivability would be beneficial overall (because the healers don't have to focus on them like the other DPS).

Any thoughts or suggestions though would rock, though. And thanks to Cearat and Acidragoon for the compliments and re-quoting onto the second page.
    As I said, the "avoid all manner of crap" phases could be moved to the slopes of Grim Batol (because to me having a map as large as to accomodate a whole mountain, a patch of the map dedicated to the flight and then a huge valley doesn't really make much sense).

You could have adds during that phase, too. Nothing special, some fleeing Skardyn (or whatever those mutant Dark Irons are called) and Dragonspawn...

Then, maybe instead of the phase where you jump onto Deathwing in the middle of the flight, you could have him become stuck as he tries to get out of Grim Batol. The idea of tanking his limbs could come into play here, maybe position them right so the claws stick into the ground for enough time for the DPS to climb them and attack more of his armor plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilneas
    Problem is WoW isn't built to handle that type of encounter. More like Shadow of the Colossus. You'd need physics or it would be goofy as hell. MMOs are not meant to have encounters as epic as that, unfortunately.
    Couldn't we say the same thing about the Airship Battle that's in now? Or Flying mounts and siege engines? I'm not saying it's absolutely possible, but I see no reason it couldn't work;

Phase 1: Encounter in a single (albeit large) room. Lots of dragons flying around, rocks falling, etc. A bit intensive, but nothing impossible.

Phase 2: Players are more or less confined to an invisible platform as the sky rushes by. For the first part, where you can look down and see Deathwing clawing his way out (before he fires), the landscape around him could be rendered with minimal details (after all, it's falling away pretty quickly). If that proves to be unreasonable, you could opt for a cinematic of him clawing out. During the dodging, you're above the clouds, so all you see is... clouds.

Phase 3: A tough one. The best thing I can think of is having the skybox animated to appear to be moving really quickly, with lots of clouds just flying past to imply movement. It's possible, and i think we may see an animated Skybox during the Arthas fight (the swirling chains we've seen in a few screenshots).

Phase 4 and 5: I mentioned the heavy fog for a reason . That said, I would like to see some elements of Northrend visible (for example, maybe a low-res version of the Citadel is visible through the fog?). Essentially you have a remote cliff side and the vaguest of hints that you're in Northrend... easily do-able.

Not saying "OMG, UR WRONG", just saying... it could be done. And thanks for the mention of SotC, a great game... I'd be lying if I said this little concept wasn't inspired in part by the game.
    - Renowned expert in the field of Paladinery -
    - & Author of -
    The Highly Acclaimed "Reinvention" Threads
    North Lordaeron - Stratholme
    - Angor Coast-

I'd like it tobe a multiple target on the dragon fight, each phase being when one part "dies'(or get cripppled).

Like, first you destroy his armor, then he goes flying to prevent you from hurting him, then you need to "shoot" his wings down(using cannon the alliance/horde brought to fight him) so he falls down onthe ground, then you can hit his head enough that he goes standing on 2 feet for a short while, allowing you to hit his vital part, rinse repeat. Lots of movements, lots of fire and explosions all over, lots of adds to annoy you.

Possibly having good adds helping you eventually, giving you necessary buffs to counter many of his god like abilities.
    CATA BETA CLUB!
    HearthStone BETA CLUB!

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann
    As I said, the "avoid all manner of crap" phases could be moved to the slopes of Grim Batol (because to me having a map as large as to accomodate a whole mountain, a patch of the map dedicated to the flight and then a huge valley doesn't really make much sense).
    Yeah, and I edited my response when I saw your edit, and I think that is a viable option (though it'd be cooler to have a globe-spanning fight... ;D)

You could have adds during that phase, too. Nothing special, some fleeing Skardyn (or whatever those mutant Dark Irons are called) and Dragonspawn...
    Yep, they could come rushing out of towers situated on the mountainside, and would add something for the tanks to really sink their teeth into.

Then, maybe instead of the phase where you jump onto Deathwing in the middle of the flight, you could have him become stuck as he tries to get out of Grim Batol.
    My problem with that is, we've already had a fight with half-a-boss sticking out of a hole; Kil'jaeden in the Sunwell. It also removes the "Holy crap" moment that makes this more than just a regular boss fight; it's the last fight of the expansion, with a huge villain who's practically destroyed the world. Taking advantage of his size, the fact that he can fly, and the sheer notion of holding onto this massive, roaring lava-dragon as he soars through the sky is, in a word, epic. People would be talking about the scope of this fight for a long time, and as far as I know something of this size hasn't been done in an MMO before.

The idea of tanking his limbs could come into play here, maybe position them right so the claws stick into the ground for enough time for the DPS to climb them and attack more of his armor plates.
    I don't think tanking his limbs would work (it seems kind of goofy), but it is plausible. The 'climb up his limbs' part seems like it could be very glitchy. With the in-flight battle, Deathwing is basically the terrain you stand on, while the dragons you jump from are platforms higher up. With this fight you describe, he's a boss apart from the terrain, but you're also adapting part of him (his claws) to use as walkways or platforms. I just think it could get messy.
    - & Author of -
    - Angor Coast-

Deleted

My problem with that is, we've already had a fight with half-a-boss sticking out of a hole; Kil'jaeden in the Sunwell. It also removes the "Holy crap" moment that makes this more than just a regular boss fight; it's the last fight of the expansion, with a huge villain who's practically destroyed the world. Taking advantage of his size, the fact that he can fly, and the sheer notion of holding onto this massive, roaring lava-dragon as he soars through the sky is, in a word, epic. People would be talking about the scope of this fight for a long time, and as far as I know something of this size hasn't been done in an MMO before.

I don't think tanking his limbs would work (it seems kind of goofy), but it is plausible. The 'climb up his limbs' part seems like it could be very glitchy. With the in-flight battle, Deathwing is basically the terrain you stand on, while the dragons you jump from are platforms higher up. With this fight you describe, he's a boss apart from the terrain, but you're also adapting part of him (his claws) to use as walkways or platforms. I just think it could get messy.
    Yeah, you're pretty much right there I guess, the climbing'd just be messy... not to mention, it'd probably be bugged like hell for the first week or two :P

Yeah, you're pretty much right there I guess, the climbing'd just be messy... not to mention, it'd probably be bugged like hell for the first week or two :P
    Pretty much. Despite the scope of the fights, they're really pretty simple; Dodge rocks and lava, fight adds. Avoid damage zones. Jump from one platform down to another, DPS non-aggressive targets while avoiding moving damage effects. Mount and return to first platform. DPS multiple targets simultaneously. That's really all there is to it.

It's just the context of those actions that make them sound impressive, when really all it would HAVE to be are some invisible platforms, animated skyboxes, and some awesome uses of phasing. I think Blizzard could pull it off, and even if they don't have something LIKE this... something epic has to happen.

On that note, I'll be very sad if the fight with Arthas doesn't do something interesting beyond 'look adds!' or 'look, damage zones!'. The fight seriously needs to shake the pillars of heaven.
    - & Author of -
    - Angor Coast-

Quote Originally Posted by TheShinyOne
    Either Varian Chynn and Deathchin 'face' off while you get the popcorn, or it will start with killing his minions, then avoiding earthquakes and lava floods, possibly Faceless, and then the Netherwing come in and save the day while you attack at his exposed heart.
    One chin... to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by muffinboy
    They aren't even gonna die, the old god dies ... good bye azeroth ... and also ... they we're ripped apart by the titans so they wear weak .... so we're just facing the eye of C'thun and Yogg saron's mouth ... they would be complete = We're f****d
    Ohmahgawd the Old Gods are just one fragmented transformer!!

Also - Retrogames has won the internet.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

We just ask him if he wants to see a magic trick...
    I registered on MMO-Champion and all I got was this lousy signature.

I'm a cynic. Deal with it!

I'd imagine there would be a phase where you have adds, most likely Twilight Dragons since he created them, either whelps or more likely full grown, like when the mini bosses can show up in OS if you don't kill them first. His breath is molten lava, not fire, so I'd imagine it would either leave a DoT, or maybe leave a space of lava on the ground that ticks every second or two on top of the damage. Those Twilight Dragons might appear during an air phase. Being the Earth Warder he may also have an ability like Gruul, where you turn to stone then shatter. The other dragonflights have to be involved somehow, I'm just not sure how. I wouldn't imagine they'd make it too similar to the Malygos fight, where you just fly and use their abilities. I'd also imagine perhaps after each phase moe of his armor would fall off. Well just a few ideas.

We resurrect Meklo, the goblin that leaded the team that created Deathwing's armor, and have to convince him that need to disensemble the armor from deathwings body when he is asleep.
    It will be a stealth-fight.

Deleted

And then Jay Leno walks in, looting Deathwings chin, takes it as his own and becomes the new Deathwing.

Quote Originally Posted by kyoharu
    I'd imagine there would be a phase where you have adds, most likely Twilight Dragons since he created them, either whelps or more likely full grown, like when the mini bosses can show up in OS if you don't kill them first. His breath is molten lava, not fire, so I'd imagine it would either leave a DoT, or maybe leave a space of lava on the ground that ticks every second or two on top of the damage. Those Twilight Dragons might appear during an air phase. Being the Earth Warder he may also have an ability like Gruul, where you turn to stone then shatter. The other dragonflights have to be involved somehow, I'm just not sure how. I wouldn't imagine they'd make it too similar to the Malygos fight, where you just fly and use their abilities. I'd also imagine perhaps after each phase moe of his armor would fall off. Well just a few ideas.
    Teqnilly, Shelazra stole some female dragon and used her as an experiment to creat Dragnix, the twilight clan's leader, STRONGER then deathwing, wich is with the demon soul, 2nd strongest (Nozdormu is strongest)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mindipedia
    Retrogames has won the internet.
    /agree.

I don't read into WoW lore so i really have no idea whether Blizzard have thrown any hints about the Deathwing fight in that. But i honestly hope the fight does not include flying dragons or piloting any machines, most likely being the endgame boss for Cataclysm the fight in my opinion should be played as your character and have many things going on at once to keep everyone occupied and make the fights hectic.

Personally i would like to see some 40man raids come back in Cataclysm but i highly doubt that will happen as it produced huge lag and you need to have a good inventory of skilled players to be successful.

Well lets think about this..:

He's stronger than the Lich King

He's more powerful than the Old Gods

It took the combined powers of ALL the Aspects to only defeat him

Only power he fears is Sargeras's

AND HE LOOKS LIKE THE FRICKIN ANTI-CHRIST ON STEROIDS IN DRAGON FORM

My Guess: Fights going to involve him gripping certain players, like Kologarn, due to his size. Massive Cleaves but in the form of Magma breath. Fly into the air like Onyxia but rain down meteors of sorts. Going to have massive Shadow and Fire related attacks, etc, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeror
    We resurrect Meklo, the goblin that leaded the team that created Deathwing's armor, and have to convince him that need to disensemble the armor from deathwings body when he is asleep.
    It will be a stealth-fight.
    also, solid snake will help via stinger missiles.

also, solid snake will help via stinger missiles.
    And then DOCTOR OCTAGONAPUS BLAAAAH will go ape on his ass and FIRE HIS LAZAZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I'm thinking we're just gonna knock his armor off and he collapses into lava....

....but then the lava tries to hold itself together into his shape (but doesn't, causing the look of a deformed giant made of lava) and he puts up one final struggle. We defeat him by eventually dropping him (don't ask how, I haven't thought of that yet) into the Maelstrom itself. The ocean fills with steam as the lava is cools and solidifies....

....but THEN he uses his newly solid form to end us once and for all. We fight him on dragons in the middle of the Maelstrom, with the storm beating on us. We have to push him into the windforce of the Maelstrom so that it rips his body apart....

....BUT THEN his spirit rises from the world, with him saying that as long as Azeroth is his dominion, he cannot die. So we have to beat back his spritual form, and hold him off long enough for the Bronze Dragonflight to trap him within a temporal paradox so that he can no longer exist within our world....

....BUT JUST AT THAT MOMENT

God: Get on with it!

erm, nevermind. Let's stop there.

Phase 1: Grim Batol - You fight Deathwing in Grim Batol where he summons adds that need to be off-tanked, after 20 million health Deathwing crushes through Grim Batol, taking an Underground Tunnel to Old Ironforge. 1 of the dragon aspects arrives and makes a portal to Old IF.

Phase 2: Old Ironforge - Deathwing, in an attempt to crush the dwarven city of Ironforge, moves to Old IF and begins destroying the walls with massive cleaves. 2-3 tanks must split the cleaves or be 1 shot (like Marrowgar). In addition, his cleaves and the violence of the fight causes chunks of rock to fall into the lava of Old IF and covers part of the floor with a fire debuff. Deathwing fears the raid, requiring fear ward/tremor/cd's to prevent tanks from seperating and raid from dying in fire. 20 million Health. Deathwing again splits and heads out to the Maelstrom. A Dragon Aspect appears and buffs the raid with fire resist and opens a new portal to follow.

Phase 3: Fury of the Firey Ones. Deathwing emerges in the Maelstrom, unfortunately into the realm of the Firelord. Ragnaros and Deathwing do battle for Ragnaros is the only true lord of the Element of Fire and all usurpers shall be destroyed. One half of the raid must tank/survive Deathwing's tailswipes and summoned Twilight adds. The other half must survive Sons of Ragnaros that when "killed" split in to multiple adds that must be AoE'd. Constant lava splashes, burning winds and Ashes of Doom cover parts of the raid area causing damage and movement slowing effects. After Rangaros does 20 million damage to Deathwing, he retreats again. Again, the raid is ported after him by a Dragon Aspect.

Phase 4: Using the Phasing system Deathwing moves his way into Ragefire Chasm, where he obilterates all the mobs currently there. The ceiling, however is too low and the raid must attack Deathwing's armor. The weak points are at the four legs of the might dragon. 4 tanks are required to soak physical damage from the legs while DPS focuses on various points of armor, as his armor is reduced, damage is done more and more rapidly. After 20 million health is lost and his armor reduced, Deathwing retreats to his last stand.

Phase 5: Surprise!
    Instead of making his way to where his last stand would have been (doesn't really matter) Nozdormu appears to the raid and tells you that he has used the last of his power to trick Deathwing into the trap that has been laid. Deathwing is forced into the "basement" of Icecrown Citadel where the "New Lich King" using his armies of undead, hold the great wyrm in place.

The raid must burn the last 20 million of Deathwing's health in 6 min. 3-4 tanks are required for the final phase, as Deathwing will bite the tanks and give them a stacking debuff called "Impaled Dragon's Teeth." At three stacks of the debuff, the tank's armor will be reduced by 75% and they will be taking a fire based debuff for 25k damage every 2 seconds for 5 minutes. These tanks will have to die. Deathwinng will also do wing buffets on the current tank, decreasing his threat, dps will have to watch out while burning. ToT and MD are a must.

Every 90 seconds, Deathwing will "Chin Cleave" the raid, dealing raid damage to all and immobilizing them for 3 min. However after each cleave, one Dragon aspect will enter the fight and sacrifice its own life to remove the immobilize and buff the raid with Essence of Whatever. After the third immobilize, the players will have to burn down the last of Deathwing's health for if the fourth aspect arrives, the "buff" the aspect gives will be too much for the simple bodies of the heroes to contain and all surviving raid members will be killed.

Deathwing: Lvl 88 (??) Boss, 100,000,000 health. Phase 1: 2 minutes, Sustained raid DPS of 166,666 required to down phase 1. DPS check.
    Phase 2: 4 minutes, Coordination Phase, Keeps Alliance Heroes alive
    Phase 3: 5 minutes, Survival Phase
    Phase 4: 2 muntes, Burn Phase, Keep Horde Heroes alive
    Phase 5: 6 minutes, Survival/Burn Phase

Total Fight: Max of 19 min. For other fun and what not, have Alliance and Horde heroes join the raid whilst under IF and Org, they do good dps, but are killable and you want/need them up to help the raid.

Look at this big bastard;

http://i49.tinypic.com/wtegbs.jpg

That's a castle he's standing on. In other words, he's a big mama-jama. The fight is pretty much going to have to go like this;

(Warning: Long.)
    TLR version: Learn to read. What are you, six?

Setup:
    Grim Batol's wings each have massive seige engines, an army of dragons, and lots of resistant magic. Players must clear all of these defenses to make way for Alexstrasza and a multi-colored army of dragons, who swoop in and head straight for Deathwing.

Phase 1: Clash of the Aspects
    Approximate time: 3-6 minutes
    Players enter the heart of Grim Batol, finding Deathwing coiled in the central forge chamber (think Ironforge). Alexstrasza and the dragons engage him, which is a fight that doesn't go very well at all. On the ground, players must protect fallen dragons from adds while healer NPCs rush in to heal them (Players can also heal, allowing the dragons to get back up faster). Players don't actually fight Deathwing during this phase, they just need to survive and keep enough dragons up to DPS him to phase 2.

I'm talking sheer anarchy, dragons getting thrown around and smashing the entire hall to pieces, with rocks falling everywhere, buildings collapsing, lava splattering everywhere; total chaos with the players just trying to survive and keep the dragons up. Phase 1 fails if the raid wipes (adds overpower or they eat too many rocks/lava spurts) or all of the dragons die.

Adds may be left alive during this phase, resulting in a Phase 4 Hardmode.

Phase 2: Skyward
    Approximate time: 1.5 minutes
    Alexstrasza calls a retreat, and the remaining dragons flee upwards through a hole in the chamber's roof. Granted a speed buff, players hop onto their flying mounts (temporary drake mounts are available if needed) and the raid soars upwards at break-neck pace (they automatically climb upwards, but players can move around horizontally). Below, Deathwing erupts (literally) through the ground behind them, and fires off several blasts of lava as he tries to dig himself out. Every 20 seconds, three enormous balls of flame rocket past the players, who need to avoid them or wipe; their paths are kind of clearly marked and players can avoid them fairly easily. Players need only survive to complete Phase 2; this is a fairly easy part.

Phase 3: Exposure
    Approximate time: 5-10 minutes
    Catching up with Alexstrasza, the entire raid lands on her and Korialstrasz' (Krasus) back as they continue a nearly vertical ascent. Deathwing catches up and begins to sweep between the two dragons. During this phase, he will fire lava at one dragon, knocking them out of the sky. The players must jump down to the other, who swoops in to catch them. Players who fall are caught by drakes, and are forced to ride the rest of the fight (though a few players on drakes are needed).

During one of his passes, the players are told to jump onto Deathwing and start destroying his armor. They land on the beast, but must weather a damage aura (from the heat) and maintain their grip (similar to the Hodir daily) as Deathwing tries to shake them off. During this time they are to DPS four plates on Deathwing's belly, but as each plate eventually falls away, huge plumes of magma flow out from the wound; players need to avoid these spurting plumes while continuing to DPS his armor pieces away.

During this phase, a few players riding on drakes need to stay close and use their breath attack to deflect these plumes away from the players (because eventually there are three open wounds, too many to dodge). When the last plate is nearly broken (Alexstrasa calls out when it's time), the players must mount up (or call in a drake if they need one) and fly off.

Phase 4: Northrend
    The dragons have lead Deathwing to the ceiling of the world; Northrend. Alexstrasa claws at the last plate, digging into Deathwing's body and crushing his vitals. In agony, the dragon crashes down into the mountains around Icecrown Citadel, where his heat causes a steam to cover the landscape. Players land near the fallen Alexstrasa, who is severely injured, and a plan is put into motion; Deathwing must be impaled with a sliver of the Frozen Throne, the only substance that could possibly injure him.

Deathwing bursts through the fog, knocks Alexstrasa into a chasm below, and sets about destroying the raid. Injured, the dragon can barely walk; tanks must keep him occupied while DPS focuses on keeping him immobilized by DPSing his legs and wings simultaneously. All the while, dragons are swooping in and blasting him, which occasionally causes him to collapse (giving players a chance to deal with any adds on Hard mode or rest up quickly). If either DPS team fails, he gets back up for a bit and rampages around until the drakes are able to subdue him (though it's pretty likely he'll wipe the raid).

As a hard mode option, enemy dragons may show up during this phase, which must be tanked separately and DPSed during Deathwing's collapses.

Once sufficiently injured, Korialstrasz swoops in with a chunk of the Frozen Throne. Rolling to protect his wound, Deathwing prepares to blast the dragon as he decends. At the last moment, Alexstrasa pulls herself up onto the cliff and fires a shot into Deathwing, exposing his wounds just as her consort plunges the shard into Deathwing's body.

Phase 5: Rupture
    In this phase, Deathwing begins to fall apart (leaving spurts of lava that must be avoided) while the players attempt to keep him under control (lest he wipe the entire raid). He must be tanked as in Phase 4, with the DPS focusing on his limbs to keep him from lifting off or running about. The added challenge comes from the fact that Deathwing, being torn apart from the inside, is causing the cliff side to crumble around him. Parts of the land slide away, and players must move off these crumbling pieces before they fall, forcing them to get closer and closer to Deathwing. During this time, the dragons continue to blast him, bringing his health down further until he dies.

Once he reaches zero DPS, a FMV is shown of the dragons rescuing the raid as the mountainside collapses around Deathwing and he falls, turning nearly into stone, and shattering at the bottom of the canyon (which becomes phased for those players, showing a few limbs and claws sticking up from the rubble). Alexstrasa lies nearby, and commends the players for their bravery before passing on. Korialstrasz lands nearby, and offers players their reward.

The reason most of the DPS on Deathwing comes from NPCs is simple; it keeps the raid moving along at a fairly fast clip, from one event to another, with the players basically keeping Deathwing occupied. It's also a LoLore thing; he's powerful. If the players could kill him, what kind of a monstrous demigod would be be? Instead, the players have to try their hardest just to keep him under control, while the dragons do all the work.
    God damn, retro. Is there anything you can't make awesome?