Thread: Mage Help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Mage Help

Quote Originally Posted by Onomarl
    So he likes it up the butt? Faggots these days.
    1. Post on forum asking for help.
    2. Insult the regulars who try to help you.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX
    1. Post on forum asking for help.
    2. Insult the regulars who try to help you.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!
    They're not really helping, I thanked the helpful ones.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    this should have ended the thread, yet you found it insulting i directed you to a god damn FAQ i spent my own free time writing? then found it necessary to insult both skarrd and myself?

hell, next time i'll just send you to tube8 and call it a day.
    BfA Beta Time

15+ Year Old Account

this should have ended the thread, yet you found it insulting i directed you to a god damn FAQ i spent my own free time writing? then found it necessary to insult both skarrd and myself?

Click me... you know you wanna...

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX
    screw tube8, i found my new "swizzle time" video
    BfA Beta Time

i'm not the best mage around, but i'll try to help you a bit, since there isnt that many of us around anymore

in short terms: bad spec, bad gear, bad rotation (and bad name:P)

in long terms: as arcane you always prioritize spell power and haste, when you're hit capped. mp5 is bad, spirit is quite bad, crit is decent.
    gems: 2x purified for chaotic requirements, rest pure spellpower regardless of socket bonus UNLESS (considering 1sp is about 1dps, haste is about 0.8) you can use reckless ones. crit, mp5, int and spirit gems are waste.

equipment to change:
    neck(mp5 is bad), pick the one from FoS heroic
    cloak(mp5!) however there isn't any easily obtainable back, but i'd go at least for the one from Eadric in ToC5 hc, so you'll have some spare hit, also onyxia cloak is very nice (both versions drops, try it). and if i'm not wrong, even deathchill cloak is better than yours=]
    ring(omg mp5) there are lots of good rings out there, for start pick the one for emblems
    trinket(ya rly) nevermelting ice crystal may look nice, but it sucks for arcane, especially that you can have a very nice one for 50 triumphs. Talisman of Resurgence gives you int which is converted to spell power and gives you lots of mana(arcane: more mana=more dps, explained later). and the use is cool also, because you as arcane you do have moments of really higher damage output than usual(just click it on arcane power, and smile to the numbers). unless you can get Reign or Spyglass, this one is your best choice. i am very happy with it

additionally you can craft Merlin's robe, Jeweled something bracers and ulduar belt, they're quite cheap nowadays. also pick offhand from HoR chest and any decent main hand(go go battered hilt!) since your staff is the main reason you have too much hit;p

rotation:
    as arcane your goal is to never run out of mana while fight lasts (obviously), but at the end of the fight having it at close to 0 as possible(with every mana replenishing tricks on cooldown). you can achieve that by casting at least 4 ab's and if AMbarr doesn't proc, just cast another AB until it does. another example is when you have to blow something up fast, and you have say mana gem and evo or even potion available, you can spam blasts through whole arcane power! you'll get your mana few seconds later due to evo and gem. after that just go back to your standard rotation.
    oh and one more thing: never, EVER use arcane barrage until you HAVE TO move and you don't have your PoM arcane blast available (and youll be moving for as long as your gcd or longer, because e.g. on beasts in ToC, just move out of fire a bit and throw another arcane blast)

as for the spec, yours is not that bad, cause its rather personal i'd say. for example i don't have +10% spirit, but i do have additional resists and incanters absorption(because i raid only 10mans with friends, and there is always disci priest, so i absorb shit all the time, especially in icc - almost every fight), which are not really dps increasing talents, but help me to stay alive, you know dead dps is no dps at all=] i just like it better this way. and i always pick Slow. it's awesome and very useful and it's just one talent.

absolutely necessary talents:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#obhVc...bcZbGc0o:NzZcz
    points from Student of the Mind and Arcane Concentration can be moved somewhere else, because they're not that important, but best, considering real dps growth. other talents are situational, defensive etc. arcane stability - 3/5 is enough if you have concentration aura, but i always pick 5/5. in frost tree, depending on your stats, you can move points from precision to ice shards(aoe packs)/frostbite/frost warding(chance for mana. lots of mana sometimes, and what did i say about mana?:P)

i tried to keep it as not-messed-up and as right as possible. yes really i did. i swear! excuse me my english of course, but hope it helped a little anyway.
    did it?
    anyone?...
    :<

Quote Originally Posted by fishybone
    Having 3/3 in Incanters Absorption made me want to cry out some words i dont think would be appropriate here. Simply, respecc, and take away your Incanters Absorption talents, and put them into Spell Impact.
    Keep student of the mind. 10% Spirit gives you crit.
    I would MUCH RATHER have 3/3 Incanters Absorption than 3/3 Student of the Mind.

Because spellpower gain >10% spirit.

Disc Priests are your friends, as well as Val'Anyr. So do Fire/Frost Ward (who -also- gives mana if you decided to grab Frost Warding)

again, Spellpower > Spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

I know mp5 is bad. As for the ring, I was confused by the weight of crit vs haste, I'm going to get the ring asap as well as the trinket but getting badges is a pita. I've tried for the neck piece in FoS it has never dropped, very frustrating. And the cloak, tried for the one in TOC, never got that either. Also frustrating. I now have Merlin's Robe, and t9.5 shoulders. Getting around 5k dps in heroics, and my spec is fixed up a lot. Thanks for the help fellas.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by hawciu
    blah blah blah
    in summation, half assed advice, half assed spec, half assed gem advice.

seriously, go read my god damn FAQ. it sums up everything and is actually, and here's the kicker, correct.
    BfA Beta Time

In all fairness, my comment was definitely unfriendly and deserving of flames, but it was technically still advice.

To Chaoslux : Yeah, I've missed out the part as where in IA actually absorbs damage from priest shields aswell. Seems like I still need to learn abit more.

Now to the person who told me about TTW. It CLEARLY fucking states, it does more damage to SNARED and SLOWED targets. Nowadays, I cant say I see many bosses thats actually slowable, NOR snareable. Now someone should go read abit more up before they speak. Jeez.

*Edit*

Oh fuck.. I didnt count in tanks thunderclap, I'ma go respecc right now. Jeez, I feel a wee bit dumb now
    If I'm your last hope for spiritual support, then we are certainly going to die.

To Chaoslux : Yeah, I've missed out the part as where in IA actually absorbs damage from priest shields aswell. Seems like I still need to learn abit more.

Now to the person who told me about TTW. It CLEARLY fucking states, it does more damage to SNARED and SLOWED targets. Nowadays, I cant say I see many bosses thats actually slowable, NOR snareable. Now someone should go read abit more up before they speak. Jeez.

*Edit*

Oh fuck.. I didnt count in tanks thunderclap, I'ma go respecc right now. Jeez, I feel a wee bit dumb now

Frost fever and some prot paladin thingy do it too. It's pretty impossible to find a non-ttw'd boss. Adds maybe, bosses, no.

15+ Year Old Account

*Edit*

warrior tank: thunder clap
    druid tank: infected wounds
    paladin tank: judgements of the just
    DK tank: icy touch
    BfA Beta Time

in summation, half assed advice, half assed spec, half assed gem advice.

seriously, go read my god damn FAQ. it sums up everything and is actually, and here's the kicker, correct.
    stop being a jerk. FAQ is outdated and not perfectly accurate. what i've done here is giving advices based on my own experience and calculations to make OP choose his own way of being a mage (remember what >FUN< means?), not telling him exactly what to do.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by hawciu
    stop being a jerk. FAQ is outdated and not perfectly accurate. what i've done here is giving advices based on my own experience and calculations to make OP choose his own way of being a mage (remember what >FUN< means?), not telling him exactly what to do.
    i'm going to assume you missed the brand spanking NEW one i made that is accurate, new, and correct?
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Kortap
    This is new and has never been posted before.