I am the ranged tank for icc10 blood princes!

So i feel pretty honored to be chosen as the ranged tank, lol is anyone else chosen? i want to do my job effectively and dont want to let down my GM. dpsing is not a priority right? during the fight i spam ice lance to get dark nucleuses and keep aggro on prince keleseth.

should i dps the main prince if there arent any nucleuses up?

Re: I am the ranged tank for icc10 blood princes!

there will always be nucleuses up your job will be to gather them, generate aggro on your prince and dont die.

Dont know what mages have for survivability we use a warlock, i suggest looking at "PvP" talents, anything that reduces damage or increases health. DPS is only important as far as you generating sufficient aggro that your guildmates dont rip teh boss offa you when then switch to him and go balls out.

Also STAY OUT OF MELEE RANGE he hits cloth for about 60k

In terms of damage mitigation, I think a mage is by far the best choice. Using this spec http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#of0i0dbcZZVIcco0ucfzgfkt you can get to 270 Shadow Resistance with just Mage Armor and Prayer of Shadow Protection. On top of that, add in Ice Barrier on a 24 second cooldown and taking 6% less damage from spells.

The only thing that might be an issue would be maintaining threat and collecting the Nuclei.

15+ Year Old Account

the spec rath suggested is pointless. i tanked him fine as standard 57/3/11. just get a MD at the start, hit him with a PoM arcane blast and CS then just blink away and kite. 5 seconds in he will stop chasing you and begin to spam cast. at this point, just continue to hunt nuclei.
    BfA Beta Time

It might be pointless for a faceroll normal mode, but on heroic I can imagine the ranged tank getting pounded alot harder. I simply showed the best damage mitigation spec, I never said you need to have it, or SHOULD have it.

Quote Originally Posted by rathofvol
    It might be pointless for a faceroll normal mode, but on heroic I can imagine the ranged tank getting pounded alot harder. I simply showed the best damage mitigation spec, I never said you need to have it, or SHOULD have it.
    Doesn't seem likely to me. He already hits for ~70-80% of a ranged player's hp. How much higher can that really get and still be reliably survivable?

How much threat does c/s generate?

He hits for 70-80% of a 130 shadow resistance tank, but if he were to do 110-120% on heroic, this could easily be mitigated with 315 shadow resistance that is pretty damn easy to get as a mage. All you need on top of what I already said is a 20resistance to cloak enchant and 30 resistance to helm arcanum.

Not saying this is going to happen or anything, I'm just looking for a different job rather than the "kill dps, burn adds" that we always get. I miss range tanking I suppose.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Doriangray
    How much threat does c/s generate?
    Counterspell
    BfA Beta Time

15+ Year Old Account

the Irony, i'm also going to be the ranged tank for my 10 man ICC group, and i made a tanking set for it atm actually i have 27k health....is that bad or....should i have less health for it?
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Just as a heads up, so there's no confusion

I'm my guilds Demo Lock and ranged tank for Keleseth. I know "Warlock Forums ----> way", but hear me out..

You can look at the logs of the guild killing The Blood Princes (and I'll be happy to link one of mine if ya'll feel that further proof is required), but Empowered Shadow Lance is in no way effected by resistance. The basic mechinc is that you must have an adequate amount of the Shadow Resonance (put on by the Dark Nuclei) buff to mitigate the damage.

His non-Empowered Shadow Lance and the Shadow Resonance debuff will allow for Shadow Resist to mitigate some of the damage ( I only had a standard Prayer of Shadow Protection, so I was around 130 SR).

If you need to specc specifically for this, I highly suggest to grab whatever damage reducing talents you can. When he is Empowered, you could have 1 million SR, but it will still hit just as hard. Focus more on having at least 4 Dark Nuclei on you and not so much on Resistance since Keleseth's abilities when he isn't Empowered are not what's going to kill you in that fight

Don't use a range tank .Normal tank is MUCH better both in 10 but mostly in 25man.Yes it easier for the range tank to collect the pink balls but a normal tank will easily survive even with 3 (and with 2 if he pops CD).

I tanked it on my mage for our first kill today. Using a deep arcane spec with some talents switched around. No aggro reduction talents and reduced damage/resist talents.

I had 310 shadow resist, and saw no resists on the empowered shadow lances.

We used hunters to md the ones spawning across the room to me.

One thing to remember is that the debuff has a short range. If you blink and run you may lose some of them and promptly die :

the + to yards on your ranged attack would probably work wonders for ranged tanking. that's my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I got to tank him aswell.. And i made a spec for it aswell, reached about 320 shadow resistance only with my spec and buffs (no cloak and head enchant).

When tanking him the last 10% or so, hes shadow lance only hit me for 350 or so with 500 resisted.. Atleast according to my combat log

Sadly, i dident take any screenshots of it and i doubt if my RL put the log on worldoflogs..

Quote Originally Posted by Wizie
    When tanking him the last 10% or so, hes shadow lance only hit me for 350 or so with 500 resisted.. Atleast according to my combat log
    The normal shadow lances (when he's not the mob with hps) can be resisted. But the empowered ones do not seem to be resistable.

I respecced my os (ffb) for frost with some pvp talents for this fight until my guild knows the fight in and out. since tonight is going to be our 2nd try with more knowledge about the princes, and with the no more melee from keleseth hot fix.

I've done the 10man and 25man tanking this week with a frost-os.
    Basically just have Ice barrier/Magic Absorption/Frozen Core and other defensive talents, glyph Ice Barrier and you'll be set.
    Use Ice lance to bring the nucleus to you, lower ranks if possible, and try to avoid doing it when you have fingers of frost up.
    IF you're asking others for help getting nucleus to far away make sure that they wont use dots and shit, just plain damage/no-damage spells that gives them aggro.

Other than that, just activate Mage Armor and save Ice Barrier for the "enrage" once you have enough nucleus to manage without it. Be prepared to pop Cold Snap and a new Ice Barrier if you're dropping to fast during the "enrage" on your boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Membrane
    Every day I wake up, log in and look at the nine other class icons in the character creation screen. Then I burst into laughter, create a portal into a distant realm, do a motherfucking double backflip through that portal while slinging pastries and blasts of PURE COSMIC ENERGY everywhere, respeccing into frost midair and deep freezing two gnomes before landing on my feet. In my wake only disintegrated corpses, strudel crumbs and adorable turtles are found.

Mage since 2007.
    Mage for life.

15+ Year Old Account

i tanked him as normal arcane.

CSd every CD
    kept up kinetic bombs
    DPSd when i had 5+ orbs on me
    chased orbs
    killed boss
    got cheev
    BfA Beta Time