Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    actually it cost me about £400 all things considered, which is about $650 in current climate

    but regards playing wow on it, it's amazing. 27" screen + 2560x1440 resolution = a stupid amount of real estate, and with the LED screen the colours are really nice (as good as WoW can be anyway). Ultra settings = ~80-150fps questing/cities (not tested dalaran), not sure about raids.

    to Elektrik : I'd spend 4x that amount to NOT have to use windows again. Combine that with a 27" better than HD display with LED backlit screen -, completely silent running, and an OS that destroys windows, to get anywhere near that you would have to spend a LOT more than I did
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

  2. #22

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    I didn't factor in the price of those monitors, which is significant so I apologize for that.

    I'm really wondering how you managed to get one for that price. If that were the case, everybody would have an iMac.

  3. #23

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    hehe indeed it was due to a replacement through insurance, I paid the extra to upgrade to the 27" version with upgraded gfx card and whacked in some more crucial RAM to bump it up to 8gb.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

  4. #24

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    Ok...so you didn't get it for $650 at all...lol

  5. #25

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    actually I did because I paid £300 for the 1st mac, then £200 for the upgrade. minus selling my other PC and a few extra bits and bobs, and it all came to about $650 worth spent.

    anyway, you have to spend more, but go mac, it's ace
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

  6. #26

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    Thank you for all the responses! This was all very helpful and hopefully I can have my new computer up and running as soon as possible

  7. #27

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    actually I did because I paid £300 for the 1st mac, then £200 for the upgrade. minus selling my other PC and a few extra bits and bobs, and it all came to about $650 worth spent.

    anyway, you have to spend more, but go mac, it's ace
    This is what I think of you.

    Seriously, stop it. I don't care if Mac stuff is better. I don't care if Mac stuff is cool. I don't care if every Mac product comes equipped a magic button on the side that causes it to piddle gold coins and resurrect the dead and make holographic unicorns dance inside your head. I'm not buying one, so shut up and go home.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ft-mac-windows

  8. #28

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    Read read read. Buying the computer part by part requires knowledge or someone who loves you enough to spend week on the interwebz. I mean if you really want the best power/price aviable.

  9. #29

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    I'm pretty sure I'm just going to buy a decent PC off of newegg and swap out the video card as that seems to be the best option if I'm only going to be running WoW and a few steam games. Plus I'll save a hell of a lot more money. Also, is Windows 7 -64 bit that much better when it comes to an operating system on a gaming computer? Because I use xp now and I really don't mind it, its just the computer itself that needs to go.

  10. #30

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Processor i5-750 (2.66GHz) 8MB Cache
    Memory (RAM) 4GB CORSAIR XMS3 DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz
    Motherboard ASUS® P7P55D DELUXE: DDR3, S-ATA II, 3 x PCI-Ex, 2 x PCI
    Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    USB Options 8 x USB 2.0 PORTS (6 REAR + 2 FRONT)
    Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
    1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 22x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
    Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 4650 PCI EXPRESS
    Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Power Supply & Case Cooling 350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
    Processor Cooling INTEL SOCKET LGA1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER
    Firewire & Video Editing 2 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORTS (1 onboard, 1 at back panel)

    Is that worth £689? Can someone point me in the direction of a really good PC, for wow that runs at a really nice FPS etc, for around £500 - £600?

  11. #31
    not good with computers
    chaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,236

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    GPU worthless and PSU weak/bad, otherwise it is fine.

  12. #32

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    GPU worthless and PSU weak/bad, otherwise it is fine.
    You seem to know whats good and bad - Know any good PCs thats around £500-600? Which everything inside is good

  13. #33

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=12347221

    insert 59.99 ATX 500w power supply and nvidia 9800 evga GTX GPU and you rocking it out with less than 700$ spent.

    So you could grab a g15 keyboard and a mx518 mouse while you at it happy gaming.

    P.S. components/OS that comes on this system would be tough to beat by building your own. I have tried. Unless your a student and can get ahold of windows 7 for free its a 200$ OS by itself.

    Anyone who can build one as decent as this for cheaper I would buy it instead considering this is my next purchase as soon as income tax comes in.
    Retired from hardcore raiding in wrath. Unsubscribed Dec. 20th 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmrider View Post
    SW:TOR. So good, it's better than SW:TOR.

  14. #34

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    actually it cost me about £400 all things considered, which is about $650 in current climate

    but regards playing wow on it, it's amazing. 27" screen + 2560x1440 resolution = a stupid amount of real estate, and with the LED screen the colours are really nice (as good as WoW can be anyway). Ultra settings = ~80-150fps questing/cities (not tested dalaran), not sure about raids.

    to Elektrik : I'd spend 4x that amount to NOT have to use windows again. Combine that with a 27" better than HD display with LED backlit screen -, completely silent running, and an OS that destroys windows, to get anywhere near that you would have to spend a LOT more than I did
    Its people like you that make me hate working IT. The apple store says the 27 inch iMac is 2 thousand dollars, or roughly 300% more then you said. If you bought off from some crack junkie, that doesnt count, because I would be able to buy a pc from that addict for even cheaper. Costs even more if you want the i7 instead of the i5. You seem to hate Windows, why? Every time the apple vs windows debate pops up, you mac fans hide behind the shield of "Windows sucks" and never say why mac is better. I'll start: I enjoy having a delete key. Yah its a small thing, but when I want to get rid of something, I want to be able to just click it and delete it.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

  15. #35

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    I have used windows for about 15 years, only switched to Mac the last 2 months. I'm hardly an Apple Fanboy.

    It's better because of a few reasons that come to mind quickly:
    1. Software - it works. It rarely crashes (mine hasn't crashed on me yet, but Im not gona say it's 100% crash proof). Everything just works when you plug it in, no crapping around like with Windows. The effects are better than windows, it's easier to use than windows, as 90% of it is extremely logical. The software is all seemlessly integrated with each other, unlike windows software. The dock is 100% better than start menu imo, much more customisable, and easier to use.
    2. Hardware - it's all made by apple, or at least bits like cpu, are built and installed by apple. It's designed to be run with their software, and so is 100% compatible with it. The screen on the iMac is amazing, to get the same screen for a windows pc, you'd have to spend a hell of a lot of money, then buy the computer on top of it.
    3. Space - no bulky towers, says it all.
    4. Silent running - not "silent" like windows PCs that actually aren't at all. No, this iMac makes virtually no noise whatsoever, even when doing some pretty hardcore encoding.
    5. Support - take it down to the Apple store (if you are strong enough :P), or simply ring up Apple support. They'll pretty much do anything you ask them to. Try getting that service with a Windows PC. If you actually build it yourself, well no service for you! If you buy it from Dell, well, you will need their service 24/7

    Oh a delete key? lol how sad. I have a delete key on my wireless keyboard. It's actually better - it's 1 button for backspace, and if I hit fn (function) with it, it's a delete key for typing (default backspace also acts as a delete key most of the time). Why is it better? Less buttons = more space saved.

    edit: anyway, not gona get drawn into a fanboy flame-fest, it's probably not feasible for him to get an iMac, but if it is, they are brilliant for playing WoW. I just wanted him to not rule it out. On top of everything, they get built-in WoW recorder, which destroys fraps.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

  16. #36

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    You say apple is better, then list very subjective reasons. Thats fanboism. "I'd spend 4x that amount to NOT have to use windows again"

    1. You have used mac for 2 months, of course software hasn't started crashing yet. Windows doesnt crash fresh out of the box either.

    2. Apple makes none of their hardware, but they do assemble it, and yes it is 100% compatible, not going to argue that. The trade off of course is limited upgrade ability.

    3. No arguments there, but you can also get all in one solutions for pc too

    4. True fanless solutions exist, just because you don't shop around doesnt make mac better.

    5. Unless you smoke, then no support for you at all because your PC is now a biohazard. Also, if its a problem they don't admit, such as your computer battery wants to explode all over you, well warranty doesn't cover that either.They have a slew of support problems. Most importantly tho, if the mac is so great, why are you using the support in the 2 months you've had it?

    I like to delete things, 2 buttons isn't so bad, there are plenty of 2 button combinations I use, but damnit slamming that delete key when i want to get rid of something feels so good. And this is related to my next point.

    When I do go delete happy, I enjoy being able to recover my files if I accidentally delete something I shouldnt have. Once you purge your unix file system, its gone and its not coming back.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

  17. #37

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    1. I reinstalled Windows XP on a recently formatted HD, and within a week it was crashing. (Yes it's XP and not Windows 7, but most people still use XP afaik).
    2. Ok yes upgradability is limited to basically RAM and Hard Drive, will give ya that.
    3. True, but they aren't as good usually. They sacrifice on parts or power.
    4. True, but most "silent" PCs aren't silent as standard, you have to hunt down silent versions of each component, something which is pretty hard to do. If you buy a "quiet" pc from a manufacturer, it's probably nowhere near as quiet as you'd actually like.
    5. Don't really understand your 1st point about smoking. And I haven't used any support yet, I'm saying if I need to, it's there.

    And in your last point, in today's society and interwebz crimes and all that jazz, having files perma-deleted is not really a bad thing. Just keep your info backed up safely, like you should with any computer, be it windows, max, unix, linux, whatever.

    And saying I'd like to not use Windows again isn't Mac fanboism, it's simply saying Windows is crap. There is a difference. I recognise Apple isn't the be-all-and-end-all, but I'm unbelievably happy with it. I absolutely used to detest the idea of using Macs, because they were never properly compatible with the Windows-using world. However, now they are. The only reason I switched was because I was messing around on my brother's Macbook, and absolutely fell in love with the OS, the looks of it, the whole package. I didn't really want a laptop, so naturally went for the iMac.

    In my experience, most anti-Mac people are against using Macs because they have never tried them, and don't know the joy of them But yes like with everything in this world, nothing is perfect and things can go wrong

    ========================================================================================== ==============

    Back to topic though, regards playing WoW on Macs - there is absolutely no problems. The mac client used to be really crap, but now afaik, it's really good. Identical to the windows client (hell it's even in the same install discs), with 1 exception - you get a built in recorder (fraps style thing). IMO it's better than FRAPS, as:
    1. It's free (actually free, not illegally-torrented free)
    2. It has MUCH more options for recording WoW - including recording without the interface, even with the interface showing on your screen! Perfect for doing those nice cinematic Machinimas.
    3. Has built in encoding in the WoW client. Actually, this is really nice. It works very well, has a variety of codecs (including H.264) and is pretty quick to do it. You can set it to compress immediately after recording, after login, or manually. I set mine to manually, and compress it when I'm going AFK. You can also use this to quickly delete any recordings you don't want.
    4. There is a Mac-client support forum on both the EU and US forums. Obviously there is a "normal" (windows) one too, but from what I've seen, the Blues seem to post on the Mac ones quite a bit more than the Windows one.

    Also, on my particular iMac, the screen is gorgeous and the high resolution makes playing WoW really nice. You get a HUGE amount of real-estate on the screen, so can do some really cool UIs.

    Mods (addons) are pretty much universal also, as they aren't written (usually) to code for anything except WoW files. I use all the same addons I did on my old Windows PC. The exceptions are probably botting programs that you shouldn't have anyway

    edit: and if you really want to, you can install Bootcamp/Parallels/Fusion etc and use Windows on your Mac, and use the Windows client of WoW etc.
    edit 2: I'll happily admit though, Windows Media Player > Quicktime.....but I use VLC anyway, it's better than both combined :P
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

  18. #38

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    Just to throw this out here: Buying from any company is financially retarded when you have the ability to build it/have it built for you.

    Seriously, my specs cost me about $900 total, and a computer equivalent to mine, bought from Dell, runs around $2000. This goes for every company.

  19. #39

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
    Just to throw this out here: Buying from any company is financially retarded when you have the ability to build it/have it built for you.

    Seriously, my specs cost me about $900 total, and a computer equivalent to mine, bought from Dell, runs around $2000. This goes for every company.
    this is very true! you can save an absolute fortune building it yourself, and it's really damn easy to do so. virtually all components are plug and play now and are compatible with almost any other component (just make sure you get the right slots :P)
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

  20. #40

    Re: Building a Gaming Computer

    what ever you do........ DO NOT buy a gforce card. they are NOT dx 11 ready and therefore you will not be able to play the new dx11 games when they come in the next 2 months.

    if you realy do wont a gforce card then wait til march for the gtx300 cards that will support dx11
    the only cards on the market now, that supports dx11 is ati redeon cards

    i would say that for 1000$ you should be able to get
    intel i5
    a gigabit or asus p55 motherboard
    4 gb ram (corsair has a good price atm)
    ati redeon 5850 or 5770
    500 - 1tb harddrive (get 2 500 mb and put the in raid 0)
    550w power suply

    i can`t realy link any site`s for you, because i live in denmark...... but if the price are about the same over there you should be able to get this setup for 1000$ or less
    Intel i5 2500K: Asus Masimux IV Extreme: Palit GTX 680 Jetstream: Chieftec Nitro Series 1200W:Corsair H-100 Hydro:
    8Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz CL8: Crucial M4 128Gb+256Gb: Creative Sound Blaster Z: Corsair Obsidian 800D: Plextor PX-880SA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •