Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Music while pvp'ing improves your pvp performance?

Slightly off topic here but last night I had a few vodkas before my niece begged me to play some Wii sports training with her and I was feeling a bit tipsy I broke most of my old records that took ages to get while sober...I then decided to join ICC raid and I just felt like I was totally in the zone and did flawless rotation without even thinking.

lol...as a neuroscience major at an ivy league school
    I gotta say...you're retarded-- almost everything you said in your post is blatantly false...lol

neurotransmitters are not released into CSF...they are localized in the synapse- the CSF provides nutrients to astrocytes and neuronal soma
    Amygdalar activation normally arises with fear...I don't know how many WoW players are scared when they are listening to bob marley (maybe if they are listening to some of that ridiculous death metal...I know I'd be scared)
    and then you say...any broadband sound increases acetylcholinesterase reception...do you even know what acetylcholinesterase is? it's an enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine...so if you're increasing it's function (reception is definitely not the right word here), you are increasing break down of acetylcholine = worsened synaptic transmission= worsened cognitive function
    5th cranial nerve...lol...you know that's the trigeminal nerve right? and it projects from the face...the actual nerve you are looking for looking for is cranial nerve 8 ...vestibulocochlear...which receives inputs from the ear

then you said..delivering excitatory neurotransmitters (GABA and acetylcholine)...you're an idiot...do you realize GABA is THE MAJOR INHIBITORY neurotransmitter in the brain?...and acetylcholine has either inhibitory or excitatory effects depending on the receptor subtype but it's far from the major excitatory neurotransmitter (Glutamate takes the role on that one)

well anyway...you're an idiot...I don't know what program you are in...but throwing around fancy words is stupid
    this is why I'm going to stanford med school and you are in some shitty program in some shitty school
    anyway time to get wasted --- pong waits for no one bitch

Is it just me or watching people argue about how smart they are and what Ivy they go to makes them seem dumber?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay
    Slightly off topic here but last night I had a few vodkas before my niece begged me to play some Wii sports training with her and I was feeling a bit tipsy I broke most of my old records that took ages to get while sober...I then decided to join ICC raid and I just felt like I was totally in the zone and did flawless rotation without even thinking.
    My first Rag kill I was hammered but still rocking the dps charts, and managed to avoid every single one of the knockback stuff. It makes me miss combat daggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes
    if people can brag about things like gearscore and how much they can drink, I've sure as hell earned my bragging rights by getting into a relatively new honors program and surviving thus far.
    Ok someone has to tell you.
    Here's the thing: bragging is for retards/douches, and now you're just one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by busthole
    lol...as a neuroscience major at an ivy league school
    I gotta say...you're retarded-- almost everything you said in your post is blatantly false...lol

neurotransmitters are not released into CSF...they are localized in the synapse- the CSF provides nutrients to astrocytes and neuronal soma
    Amygdalar activation normally arises with fear...I don't know how many WoW players are scared when they are listening to bob marley (maybe if they are listening to some of that ridiculous death metal...I know I'd be scared)
    and then you say...any broadband sound increases acetylcholinesterase reception...do you even know what acetylcholinesterase is? it's an enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine...so if you're increasing it's function (reception is definitely not the right word here), you are increasing break down of acetylcholine = worsened synaptic transmission= worsened cognitive function
    5th cranial nerve...lol...you know that's the trigeminal nerve right? and it projects from the face...the actual nerve you are looking for looking for is cranial nerve 8 ...vestibulocochlear...which receives inputs from the ear

then you said..delivering excitatory neurotransmitters (GABA and acetylcholine)...you're an idiot...do you realize GABA is THE MAJOR INHIBITORY neurotransmitter in the brain?...and acetylcholine has either inhibitory or excitatory effects depending on the receptor subtype but it's far from the major excitatory neurotransmitter (Glutamate takes the role on that one)

well anyway...you're an idiot...I don't know what program you are in...but throwing around fancy words is stupid
    this is why I'm going to stanford med school and you are in some shitty program in some shitty school

Even though you are probably right, I liked the other troll-doctor better.

I've always felt like it has. Though it teand to make me a little more aggressive.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

While I tend to think it does while I'm playing, it probably has no effect.

Generally I'll be listening to Metallica, Alice in Chains, AC/DC and Megadeth while I PvP. If anything, it might make the player more aggressive. That may or may not be a good thing.

Side effects --> Increased chance to rage after death. May lead to --> Holes in the wall, Bloody fists, broken keyboards and broken monitors.

Metal on Metal O.O \m/

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by busthole
    neurotransmitters are not released into CSF...they are localized in the synapse-
    They arelocalized in the synapse, but the cerebrospinal fluid surrounds the terminal

and then you say...any broadband sound increases acetylcholinesterase reception...do you even know what acetylcholinesterase is? it's an enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine
    If it's going to remain in an excited state you need the breakdown otherwise the neurons become fatigued..

Anytime you have sensation of relative position in your face you are more aware of your surroundings.. The vestiblocochlear is for the input, I didn't do the pathway from the ear..

Including GABA was my error. As for acetylcholine, it is by far the most important neurotransmitter in controlling all neuronal stimulations.. You don't need the two extremes..

We don't even use the term "Ivy League" in this country. You are in med school and I still have many years until I get there, so I honestly can't compare our medschool to yours. This university is the canadian equivalent of your MIT in the US for engineering, so it's definately not as bio-focussed as stanford. I could care less that you have rich parents, and it's a shame that you had a somewhat smooth argument going and then finished off with ad-hominem insults, "rich boy"
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

EGO WAAAARRR!
    ITS EGO WAR EVERYONE, CLASSY INSULTS AND BIG WORDS
    LIE ABOUT THINGS LIKE YOUR EDUCATION QUICK OR YOU MIGHT LOSE AN INTERNET ARGUEMENTS!!!!

Back to topic i like using caps for a little... i don't care about your school heh didn't have to cause an arguement GJ.

I like music while i pvp and pve, makes me feel like i'm doing better whether or not i am.

I don't really care what you call me, you can even call me cold...

10+ Year Old Account

Anyways, the temporal and spectral domains of conventional auditory evoked domains act indepentently of eachother. So when the auditory signal is being integrated in your medial temporal lobes it basically lowers the threshold potential for surrounding regions by stimulating the voltage gated sodium channels in the medium spikey neurons to release excitatory neurotransmitters into the cerebrospinal fluid. So when you listen to music, the threshold drops below -60mV for other areas like the thalamic reticular nucleus (which when you are playing WoW would make you more receptive to relative positioning of enemies), the amygdala (so your reflexes are more twitchy during this time). Basically stimulating the entire 5th cranial nerve will help your performance by listening tomusic, as well as delivering excitatory neurotransmitters to places like the parietal lobe and cerebellum for better motor control and coordination, as well as the hippocampus(so that during an excited state you repeat mistakes less and less often in PvP and can make faster judgement calls). Any sort of broadband noise will increase electrophysiological recording and post-synaptic acetylcholinesterase reception, so yeah this includes music, and once you have the neocortex stimulated, all reasoning processes are carried out more rapidly, including simple WoW tasks like timing moves correctly or setting up CC's, etc.
    Snes casts Wall of Jargon on Nakkí.
    Snes's Wall of Jargon hits Nakkí for over 9000. (critical) (35624 overkill)
    Nakkí dies.
    Nakkiz of Memento <EU-Frostwhisper>

Meh I feel that it helps me to some extent, don't know why but it does lol

Typically when doing arena I'll listen to:

Disarmonia Mundi
    In Flames
    Soilwork
    Tantric
    or Rave Nation
    etc etc

and if you have your sound a little bit lower than skype (or vent) you can still hear your partners

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Personally I feel that I actually play worse while listening to music (atleast in arena). This might be because it gets harder for me to hear what people are saying to me on vent, but also because of the sounds in the game. For example there is a specific sound if an attack gets parried (there are ofc a lot of other sounds aswell). So then if my hamsting get parried, I can apply it again right after, without having to look at the text . This also makes me able to focus more on other things such as where everyone in my team and the enemy team are and what they are doing.

Oh, and btw, I play with both ambience and music disabled.

They arelocalized in the synapse, but the cerebrospinal fluid surrounds the terminal
    If it's going to remain in an excited state you need the breakdown otherwise the neurons become fatigued..
    Anytime you have sensation of relative position in your face you are more aware of your surroundings.. The vestiblocochlear is for the input, I didn't do the pathway from the ear..
    Including GABA was my error. As for acetylcholine, it is by far the most important neurotransmitter in controlling all neuronal stimulations.. You don't need the two extremes..
    We don't even use the term "Ivy League" in this country. You are in med school and I still have many years until I get there, so I honestly can't compare our medschool to yours. This university is the canadian equivalent of your MIT in the US for engineering, so it's definately not as bio-focussed as stanford. I could care less that you have rich parents, and it's a shame that you had a somewhat smooth argument going and then finished off with ad-hominem insults, "rich boy"
    You missed the point.
    You didn't show that music actually helps.
    I'm sure you are smart enough, taking your word that you are in a competitive program, to see that your conclusion was nothing close to being legitimate enough to cover some/all gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakkí
    Snes casts Wall of Jargon on Nakkí.
    Snes's Wall of Jargon hits Nakkí for over 9000. (critical) (35624 overkill)
    Nakkí dies.
    If he uses enough jargon he can sneak by the journal referees and get published for this

music helps cuz your all like "BITZA BITZA BITZA BITZA" and reach a kind of euphoria with all the bitzabitza. which inturn makes you hammer your keyboard like some bad mother. once i was listening to music (cool story tbh) and i killed a warlock in tbc.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by slyy
    You missed the point.
    You didn't show that music actually helps.
    I'm sure you are smart enough, taking your word that you are in a competitive program, to see that your conclusion was nothing close to being legitimate enough to cover some/all gamers.
    If you really hunger for an answer, there is an abundance of research documents listed there that can at least give you a good idea of how music may help. I did mention that what I said is a generalization; no theories in biology are facts, they are always temporary. I haven't found a study specifically designed for gamer performance (not sure the government would fund it, lol). 10 years from now, literally every single thing in that little slap-stick "theory" could be proven wrong, which I don't mind, I have many years ahead to keep learning these things.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Depends on the person. Having music while trying to listen to teammates in arena can be distracting. If you're BGing solo or more casually it'd be less important. Completely dependent on your play style though imo.

Hard techno does it for me or rock. Something that I can yell and scream with.

Oversized Avatar removed - Cilraaz

pvp: death metal
    pve: techno
    /thread
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)